1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

A new Eclipse just found its way into my collection, and I'm faced with a couple choices. For your perusing pleasure, here are a few questions:

1) I've carried a G19 in Kramer gear for several years now, and have the 1.25" double-thickness horsehide belt. In the future, I intend to try competition and get some more formalized training (e.g. TR/FS/etc.) Is this belt substantial enough to support a full-size 1911 for medium-heavy use, or do I need a 1.5"? I'll be using an OWB holster.

2) If this belt is sufficient for now, I am considering a Kramer vertical scabbard, the Alessi CQC/s, and the Sparks NP-1. Mr. Alessi and Mr. Kanaley, beautiful work. I had them up on the browser and my wife said, "Hey, I LIKE those. Want one for Christmas?" I should add that I lived in Idaho for 25 years so there's a little personal bias here.

3) I also am considering a new sharksin rig from Rafter S, including a belt. My wife is from Missouri, so she also likes this idea.

4) With the competition idea in mind, I think only the CQC and the Kramer have the IDPA blessing at this point. Should this really factor into the decision process?

Has anyone had problems carrying Kimbers in these because of a loose fit? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and comments.
-JJ

------------------
Studies show that people will miss 100% of the shots they do not attempt.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Jace2001,
I can only speak from my own experiences. I own a holster/belt combo from Rafter S and it is the most comfortable rig I have ever worn. Their customer service is excellent and they were always willing to answer any questions that came up. Their prices are hard to beat for custom work. As you can tell I am well pleased in my dealings with Rafter S Gunleather. One thing I would recommend no matter who you choose is to buy a 1 1/2" belt to carry a full sized 1911. The wider belt will be more beneficial especially when you consider the overall weight of a loaded 1911.

------------------

·
Super Moderator
3,115 Posts
A 1.25" double-thickness horsehide belt of quality construction should be adequate not only to hold a holstered 1911, but to be used as a tow strap to pull your jeep out of a bog.

The CQC/S and the NP-1 both feature widely spaced belt loops, that spread the weight of the pistol over a larger area than a simple fold-over belt loop. Sparks' NP-1 also features a "paddle" that goes into the waistband, adding to its stability.

Rosco

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice to have this site back up; I was starting to have withdrawal symptoms.

Car Knocker, thanks for the URL. I think my first post was a little unclear regarding IDPA holsters. I've seen the approved list a few times, and know that there are many great holsters on it. Of the holsters I listed originally, only the Kramer and the Alessi seem to be allowed in IDPA.

All comments appreciated; keep 'em coming, folks.
Thx,
J

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have a Milt Sparks rig and can recommend it highly.

I'd suggest calling Milt Sparks and/or Lou Alessi directly and getting their advice. These guys are top notch and will answer any questions you might have as to IDPA legal holsters (things may have changed). Maybe they can even suggest a holster that would fit your needs that you haven't considered yet.

Mac

1 - 6 of 6 Posts