1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which do you prefer for concealed carry, a leather belt designed for carry or a nylon also designed for carry (ex: Wilderness Five Stitch or 5.11 Trainers)? Why do you prefer one over the other? Or everything being equal, is there no difference in performance between the two materials and it boils down to preference?

It seems that both will get the job done, but will one material do it marginally, or even significantly, better than the other?

Your opinions and reasoning and thanks for chiming in.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Methinks you’re right: It’s going to come down to simply preference, and that either will work reliably. My caveat - and one I heard / read plenty of times before finally heeding - is just to get a good-quality belt, regardless. Once I finally quit relying on the “best” I could find at Academy or WalMart and bought a dedicated gun-belt, I’ve not looked back.

For me, leather wins. I typically use belts from A&G Custom Gunleather. My son uses one from Hank’s Belts. I’ve heard of The Beltman’s products for years and need to try one of theirs. Relentless Tactical is another good source.

·
Registered
Springfield Armory Addict
217 Posts
I have been carrying for over 20 years. Have had many a leather gun belt and could never completely feel comfortable till I tried the Nexbelt they come in both leather and nylon ( have both) they don’t sag and never warp. For me I don’t wear anything else now.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good subject to discuss once in a while. I’ve tried about all of them too. Al Garcia of A&G makes a great product and is a great guy. I tend to wear the Nextbelt nylon more often than anything else. The appealing part there is the ability to make micro adjustments as the day progresses.

Many times walking into a restaurant I may discreetly snug the belt up a little bit to make things a little tighter and avoid printing. That’s generally not possible with a standard leather gun belt. If it is possible it’s certainly not discreet. Your adjustments are limited by the distance between holes in the belt. Sometimes walking out of a restaurant I have to loosen it up a little bit but that’s another story.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I have been carrying for over 20 years. Have had many a leather gun belt and could never completely feel comfortable till I tried the Nexbelt they come in both leather and nylon ( have both) they don’t sag and never warp. For me I don’t wear anything else now.
If you like Nexbelt, you'll love KORE. I used Nexbelt for several years and found them good at the job and love the ratchet adjustment. But they didn't last to my liking. The liner inside the belt would break after about 10-12 months of use. The KORE belts are also a ratchet buckle but the belt is much heavier duty. The Brown Buffalo Leather is my most worn, but my other three or four are just as good. Hardly ever wear any of my Nexbelts anymore.

I use both leather and nylon. No preference, it depends on the rest of the wardrobe.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you like Nexbelt, you'll love KORE. I used Nexbelt for several years and found them good at the job and love the ratchet adjustment. But they didn't last to my liking. The liner inside the belt would break after about 10-12 months of use. The KORE belts are also a ratchet buckle but the belt is much heavier duty. The Brown Buffalo Leather is my most worn, but my other three or four are just as good. Hardly ever wear any of my Nexbelts anymore.

I use both leather and nylon. No preference, it depends on the rest of the wardrobe.
Good observation. I experienced that also with the Nextbelt and they replaced it for me without a lot of hassle. I still wear them. I do have the KORE also. I wore one out and bought another within the last year or so I just for some reason don’t use it very much. It does seem to be a very nice belt and has that same adjustability.

If I’m wearing a white Miami Vice leisure suit with tight fitting slacks, an unbuttoned turquoise silk shirt and loafers with no socks I usually wear the Nextbelt.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
While I like and use both materials, it seems that leather belts paired with leather holsters seem to “creak”, while nylon, for the most part, is silent. Anyone else experience that and if so, is there a solution?

·
Registered
71 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^

A little baby powder on the belt where the holster rides does a decent job of quieting the creak, but my knees make enough noise when I sit to mask the sound of the leather creaking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Forty years of carrying, I prefer leather from Milt Sparks or Simply Rugged. The only "modern" style belt I use is the one on my Sunday Go to Meeting suit made by KORE.

·
Registered
13,573 Posts
I use both, and like both.

I like the infinite adjustment of my Wilderness 5-stich Instructor belt. It is thin and comfortable and can take getting wet without any problem. I'm not a big fan of velcro, though, and as a righty, working the belt alignment to keep the tab away from the holster sometimes is a little annoying. The Instructor buckle is also a bit on the heavy side and clangs a bit when you're putting it on or taking it off.

I can't get my leather belt adjusted "just right" like the Wilderness belt, but it is still good. It is a little thicker and maybe not quite as comfortable, but it is easier to put on and take off than the Wilderness belt, and the buckle while still solid, doesn't seem like a hammer attached to the belt like the Wilderness buckle. It is also quieter putting on and taking off the leather belt than the Wilderness belt that has the velcro sound and the clanging buckle.

·
Registered
7,107 Posts
Which do you prefer for concealed carry, a leather belt designed for carry or a nylon also designed for carry....It seems that both will get the job done, but will one material do it marginally, or even significantly, better than the other?

Your opinions and reasoning and thanks for chiming in.
Depends on your conditions. Do you sweat alot or live in a hot/humid climate? I was always a leather guy (preferred leather with a stiffener though) Problem was i had to keep 3-4 leather belts in the rotation because I would sweat through them in a day and need several days to dry them out completely. So every few years I'd buy 3-4 belts. I tried a wilderness instructors belt and thought it sucked terribly bad! It was like a cotton belt and would roll with a light gun.

Eventually I tried an Aegis Enhanced belt by Ares Gear and it's fantastic! As stiff and supportive as any leather stiffened belt I've tried and impervious to sweat, as it's made with scuba webbing. Simply awesome. And it's within most maker's dimensions so all my Sparks, Garrett and JM Custom Kydex holsters fit it.

I still wear leather for any dressy event or most work days but ranch, weekends, range or sweat days are only the Aegis Enhanced Belt.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I greatly prefer leather, though my current daily is a hybrid (leather belt sewn to a polymer-like back), the Magpul El Tejas.

A couple of years ago I did a you might find helpful:

One difference between leather and nylon is the ability to clean it. Once nylon starts getting grime ground in it, it’s impossible to get clean.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Dang, that's awesome!!! Congrats!
Thank You, It's getting easier now that I feel like being more active. Playing some golf again, walking 18 holes and riding my bike. At 300lbs you don't enjoy physical activity that much, now that I am down to 230 I feel much better and enjoy the activity. Still have 30 to go but the exercise is making it come off quicker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts