1911Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

· Premium Member
1911's, a bunch and counting...
2,071 Posts
Toothbrush. Penetrating oil. Soak. Scrub. Repeat.

Engine oil is fine as a thin lubricant. Doesn't need to drip. Just use a q-tip or small brush to apply to sliding surfaces. Or a light grease can work better since it doesn't run. But either is fine.

· Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thank you to everyone. I appreciate all of the honest responses here. Before landing here, I watched many on line videos. And yes, there are several who have mentioned "washing" using Dawn soap.
No. I have NOT done that, nor will I. I know that a water bath, like the kind used for auto parts, engines are safe.
For this gun I don't think it is necessary. Reading what many have said, I have worked on the parts for many days.
Most of it is now clean. I use the Ballistol all over 1st. Then work with brushes and keep working. Final assembly was using Hopp's for most of the parts, and a precision oiler for the detailed parts. After more than possibly 20,30 or 40 years of no using or cleaning, it is finally ready. Thanks to all.
Leimy

· Registered
SPP forever!
3,686 Posts
Thank you to everyone. I appreciate all of the honest responses here. Before landing here, I watched many on line videos. And yes, there are several who have mentioned "washing" using Dawn soap.
No. I have NOT done that, nor will I. I know that a water bath, like the kind used for auto parts, engines are safe.
For this gun I don't think it is necessary. Reading what many have said, I have worked on the parts for many days.
Most of it is now clean. I use the Ballistol all over 1st. Then work with brushes and keep working. Final assembly was using Hopp's for most of the parts, and a precision oiler for the detailed parts. After more than possibly 20,30 or 40 years of no using or cleaning, it is finally ready. Thanks to all.
Leimy
sounds like a plan.

I've used a sink and dawn, but usually that's a new "pre-owned" purchase and years of grit and crud to remove. Other than for BP firearms - or when rust-bluing - it shouldn't ever need a bath in h2o and dawn again.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts