1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now I have decided what my next 1911 model will be but I have to decide on a finish. What is the benefit of hard chrome vs the baer coat or armor tuff or just blue and stainless? I realize stainless for the rust but I am not familiar with hard chrome. Sorry if it is a rookie question.

techo

·
Registered
20 Posts
Armor tuff is crap, as are most of the moly based paint on coatings....wear worse than blue..some even flake off...stainless is great since you can buy it that way...I hard chromed my P7 and it looks beautiful and will hold up just like stainless....has an even nicer look too in IMO...

check out www.parkcitiestactical.com
and go to cult of P7..
do a search of finishes and hard chrome...lots of pics, we even compared different chromers...I went with Ford but Tripp, metalife and metaloy all are top notch...mine ran me 150 incluing 3 mags...that's about average except Tripp is around 175 with one mag...

·
Administrator
18,614 Posts
Originally posted by don't shoot it's me:
Armor tuff is crap, as are most of the moly based paint on coatings....wear worse than blue..some even flake off...
Oh really? Thats a pretty bold statement (not to mention extremely subjective). Sure they can wear like anything can wear. The better teflon "coatings" as you put it, continue their protective qualities despite the fact that it looks like they are 'worn' or 'flaked' off.

I for one like Black T. I like the way it wears on a gun that gets hard use. It gives the gun a certain amount of character. I appreciate its great anti-relfective and anti-corrosive qualities, etc...

I dislike "white" or stainless appearing guns. I don't care much for hard chroming either. But "crap"? No, neither stainless or hard chrome is 'crap' just because I don't prefer it.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I dislike "white" or stainless appearing guns.

Ditto. Took me a long while to get used to the idea of a stainless revolver but my mode of carry demanded corrosion resistance. Smith and Wesson's stainless alloy REALLY IS STAINLESS and doesn't rust. My Colt Pocket Nine and various Rugers I've seen are crafted from a much different stainless alloy and will surface rust with neglect.

I'm now fully conditioned to accept the looks of a stainless S&W revolver but just can't quite get the feel for a 1911 'in the white'. Maybe someday....

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
Hard Chrome is nice for pimp guns. Maybe you could get some pearl grips for them. Then you would have the 59 Cadillac of handguns.

If you have the ability to wipe it down with an oily rag every night and you don't sweat at a pH of 1, almost any blueing or parkerizing will work. Unless it is a safe queen that you are trying to protect your investment. If it is a tool, wipe it down with a little oil of your choice each night before you put it on the nightstand.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
You better listen to these guys...they seem to know what is best...you can't have a nice matte hard chrome finish which is even less reflective than stainless steel since you might be considered a Pimp...i guess if you wear a hat of any kind or drive a cadillac you would be considered a pimp too....so go ahead and spend your hard earned money on a finish that wears off easily and tell yourself the gun has character...and if you do hard chrome I'm sure you won't be so insecure as some people to worry that others are thinking you are a pimp.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info! I sure do not want to look like a pimp. All of my current guns are blue but I will wear this gun almost all of the time and here in Alaska it is sure to get wet. It seemes harder to get guns in hard chrome and they usually cast about $250.00 more and that increased my curiosity. I will be using the gun at night so I really dont want the reflective of hard chrome I just thought it might be worth the extra money to protect my new baby.

Thanks again for time,

techo

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
I'm sure you've made up your mind by now, but I have to inject something onto this thread. I carried a commander in nickle as my duty gun for many years. I was concerned with salt air (beaches) and perspiration from frequent exertion. That piece never rusted, and on the rare occasions when I had to display it, the purp had no doubt that he was looking at a real gun. That black .45 hole in the end contrasted quite well with the light colored barrel bushing and slide. I never took any heat about my "pimp gun", and it was never carried exposed anyhow since my uniform was always either a suit or street clothes. So, looks notwithstanding, a hard chrome piece makes a hell of a lot of sense to me.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Thank you bob...Seems like Pimpophobia is more prevalent on this board than homophobia....years ago, the NYPD said all duty and off duty guns had to be blue steel since "bad guys" tended to have cheap, shiny autos and such....less chance of a cop being mistaken for a perp...but today, with many departments issuing stainless steel, the age of the "pimp" gun is far behind...

BTW techo..my hard chrome job cost 130 bucks and is not very reflective in matte finish... and since the gun is concealed, I don't see how you would bee taken for a pimp, unless you take off your jcket at the local bar and wave it around as you ask if any of the guys would like a little female company for the evening...

[This message has been edited by P7 (edited 08-24-2001).]

[This message has been edited by P7 (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally posted by LW McVay:
I dislike "white" or stainless appearing guns.
I don't care for highly polished stainless, nickel, or chrome myself. And I genuinely despise green, tan, and *shudder* camo finishes on guns. I have no problem with matte "white" finishes, and I actually prefer a 2-tone look. I have one matte nickel and one 2-tone 1911. I guess what all this really means is that these sorts of things are completely subjective. As long as the quality of the finish is good, color is a matter of personal taste.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

[This message has been edited by AKM (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was trying not to say the kind of pistol I was looking at so we would not get into the "which is best pistol" debate and focus on finish. But.... I was trying to decide on the Les Baer TRS Hard Chrome and the TRS blue. I went and held a hard chrome,just minutes ago. It feels nice but I guess I like the non reflective blue a bit better. Especially if I carry it on duty. It tends to get dark here fairly early in the day most days!

FWIW I really enjoy this forum and the opportunity to get different perspectives. I dont have to post much because someone always seem to have asked the question I had.

Thanks again,

techo

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Based on his post,I don't think that BillD has ever seen a hard chromed pistol. It is not a shiny '59 Cadillac bumber chrome, but looks like a stainless finish. Very durable, and looks great if you like the stainless look.

I have seen some nickel and polished stainless pistols that are very good looking. Of course, all of this is pretty subjective, so get what you like. After all, it is your gun.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
IMHO, one of the best, if not the best, finishes for handguns is the Robar NP3 finish, also the Roguard finish. Black T is also very good, and durable, from what I've heard.

Try the 1911 with the NP3 finish on the frame (silver-gray) and the Roguard on the frame (subdued black). Sweet!

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Well, I don't know about any gun finishes, but I'd just like to get a word in about pimps. Pimps are people too, dammit. If it weren't for pimps, why hell, the "oldest profession" probably woulda fizzled out several thousand years ago, and then where would we be? There wouldn't be any prostitutes around, and the only whores would be in politics and in the media!

·
Registered
20 Posts
here here...kudos to Ned....and Techo, you mentioned on duty...if it's worn with a uniform I think they'll know it a gun, blue or not, and if concealed, what's the difference?..not trying to sway you...I'm just curious what your needs are....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts