1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to spend a lot of money to be able to coat guns. The biggest cost seems to be the oven but i will also be getting blast cabinet and a 40gal air comp. So i was wondering what everyone thought about the gun kote?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I like it but I recommend a fresh park (zinc) job for best results. I tried Kphos spray treatment and the results were not as good. Gunkote over decent park job is hard to beat - especially for something you can do yourself.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bake on over park is hard to beat, for a "home shop"

Make your own oven.... Its not that difficult. Take a big metal storage cabinet, line it with insulation. Put a decent heating element on it. Do it for WELL under a grand.

I built one, cost me like $75 for the insulation, $100 on 2 electric heaters from walmart. I got the cabinet for free, but they cost around $200. Add a thermometer and your good to go. Take a bit of adjusting the power levels on the heaters to get your cabinet set up. But well worth the savings.

·
Banned
672 Posts
Bigtat,
I spray Cerakote, almost exclusively. The baked version is the one recommended for firearms. Depending on what you are coating, a regular oven should work just fine. Find one at a garage sale perhaps.

I am using this version from Harbor Freight, and it can be had for $400. It works great, nice even heat, and with interior dimensions of 18 x 18 x 18 will hold most anything you want to bake. Here's the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46300

Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bigtat,
I spray Cerakote, almost exclusively. The baked version is the one recommended for firearms. Depending on what you are coating, a regular oven should work just fine. Find one at a garage sale perhaps.

I am using this version from Harbor Freight, and it can be had for $400. It works great, nice even heat, and with interior dimensions of 18 x 18 x 18 will hold most anything you want to bake. Here's the link: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46300

Dave
Dave Thats looks good. How has it held up for you and how long does it take to get to 300 dgrees ? Thanks for helping me out.

·
Banned
672 Posts
It has held up just fine, and I have probably used it 20+ times in the last 6 months. It takes about 45 minutes to get to 250, for heat cured Cerakote. It must be pretty well insulated, as it takes 4+ hours to cool down from there if I leave the door and vents closed. The only drawback is that there is no timer. I hate to watch the clock...

Let me dig around and I will try to find the fixtures I used to hold the frames, slides, and small parts if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Check out an appliance dealer for a used cooktop and oven combo. Use the stove to heat your parkerizing solution and the oven to cure your finish. Buy an oven thermometer, home oven settings are notoriously inaccurate. If ya have to spend over a hundred bux, you got taken....
:)

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
A single action air brush works fine. Get a quality brush, not the cheapie from Harbor Freight.. As far as an oven, there's no reason not use the one in your kitchen. There's no damage to the appliance, nor are there an obnoxious fumes to deal with.. I make parts hangers out of paper clips and solid elecrical wire.. Don't forget to de-grease the wire also..

·
Banned
672 Posts
Here's a few fixtures that has made my life easier.

The slide holder is a length of 1/4" Ace Hardware rod, and the diameter has been reduced to be a nice snug fit inside the firing pin hole. The bottom end has been threaded to mate with a female-threaded block inside the legs. The legs are 3/4" square aluminum tubing, probably from Lowes. Midway up the slide (approximately the front of the ejection port) is approximately centered in the oven.

The frame holder is made from 3/4" square aluminum tubing with 2 threaded 1/4" rods. Two grip screws were sacrificed and the slots were ground off to flat. The screws were then silver-soldered onto the rods. This setup gives me enough stand-off distance from the frame and is rigid so its not flopping around in my hand. Once painted, it gets hung from the top rack and is about centered in the oven.

I use a Paasche VL70 two-stage airbrush, and have had great results.

Bob, I tried using the wife's oven....once. The gun came out smelling like chicken pot pies and tater tots though. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Great ideas Dave. I only used cut up coat hangers - Think I'll try your method next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts