1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends, I have a question about gun laws in Texas. How does law look? What kind of weapon I can buy for home defense? Can I do some practice in open area or only in the range?
How about self defense and night home invasion (or some thief encounter) - when you can use deadly force? How about gun transport for example in car?
And finally can I buy a weapon for home defense when I'm a green card holder or I have to wait for US citizenship (for CCW I'm sure I can't) ? Sorry for my English, but still I'm better talking than writing :D. Thank you. Nestor

·
Registered
490 Posts
Nestor,

You'll find that Texas is one of the most gun-owner friendly States in the U.S., not to mention great Tex-Mex food, and the best looking women north of Argentina!:D

Check out www.packing.org for more specifics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nestor,

Texas has very favorable gun laws.

Home defense guns are in abundance, but many would agree that you can't go wrong with a good pump shotgun with an 18 to 20 inch barrel.

Ranges are common in most areas, and there are plenty of rural "open areas" where you can shoot provided you have the land owner's permission.

Lethal force is generally justified when used to protect yourself or a third party from "serious bodily injury". It is also justified in protecting property, but only at night. Be advised that the chances of being sued in a civil suit are very high, even if no criminal charges are filed.

Gun transport: Long guns, if loaded, must be in plain sight (not concealed). Handguns may be transported if you are "traveling" and it seems that the definition of traveling is entirely dependent on the officer. This, of course, does not apply to Concealed Handgun Licensees.

Concerning firearms ownership and legal status, I am unsure. I believe that Texas does not require you to be a US citizen in order to obtain a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), but it does require you to be a resident of Texas for at least six months.

Hope this helps . . . and your English isn't too darned bad.:)

Shawn

·
Registered
193 Posts
Gun Laws in Texas

First, if you are coming, WELCOME!!!

Second, previous posts concerning gun laws are right, "travelling" isnt defined and never will be so it comes to the officers call. But as soon as you get here, hit a college bookstore and pick up the latest copy of the criminal laws of Texas (I prefer the Texas District and County Attorney assoc. version as it does list some case law and hints) it should cover ALL the relevent things you need to know, and will give you the overview to form additional questions for clarification with a cop buddy (yes I answer questions, and yes im a cop too :p )

Chapter 9 of the Penal Code covers use of force, and the law is VERY individual friendly , though I have seen some case law get moved from the actual code.

Not to worry though, Texas by and far is still a state for the citizen not the government, and prefers to let you make most of the calls about how you will live your life. We dont interefere.

What can you use to defend your home? Just about anything, Texas is one of very few states in the Union that still allows deadly force in defense of property as well as life. In your home there is NO duty to retreat, outside your duty to retreat is governed by the standard (a reasonable person would not have retreated) this can be a easy as I use a cane and cant run, to I had nowhere to retreat to.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you my friends for such fast answers. If we can only win visa lottery this year, I think that Texas (we thinking about East or North East part of the state) will be just right place for our new home.
We are peaceful and friendly people, but you know home and children are most precious "things" we have, so in defend of family I will do everything. It will be great to make a move to state that respect such point of view. I'm not crazy about guns, but I think that it is a good "medicine" for criminals. Another big plus for us is tax law in Texas wich is quite good if you compare it with other states. And mild winter is also something what my wife will appreciate. People from Texas are as we can see very friendly.
We don't have a family or friends in this part of US so it will be very helpful for us. And last thing...Texas have the same colors as Poland white over red :D so is it a sign for us? Thanks again. Nestor
Ps. What more can I say, just look and you will understand my question....I will defend my family with every possible weapon.

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nestor,
I saw the pics you posted of Poland in a different thread. That is some beautiful country. Nice looking kid, too. :)

·
Registered
283 Posts
That kid looks like he's waiting for the "BEEP". It's that look, yup, run and gun kiddo, run and gun. :D

Texas is very gun friendly. The whole state seems to be pro-gun. And don't worry about your english.....you're doing fine.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
No open carry? What would John Wayne say? :mad:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome to Texas. If you are anywhere around Dallas, send me a note. We can go to the range and target practice.

ps. Sophie is beautiful

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for warm words and range invitation, if we will arrive you are invited too...on the house party. We will be looking for new friends. I will update you about our situation and decisions. Thanks.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Federal Immigration law says, and Texas State law agrees that a Resident Alien can legally purchase a firearm. Individual state laws may be different. But getting one too soon after receiving your status might draw attention from BATF. You will be allowed to do it, but it might draw a flag and future purchases might be watched.

I'm assuming that's the lottery you are referrign to. If you enter the US as a visitor, student, or other non-immigrant...you cannot purchase firearms.

As long as you remain a law abiding citizen, or resident as the case may be, I wouldn't worry about it.

Stay safe and welcome to Texas if you make it.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Of course you could win the Kalifornia lottery by going to mexico and sneaking across the boarder. Upon arrival you will be welcomed with open arms, free housing and medical coverage *and* most importantly, you'll be able to get a valid KA drivers license and be able to vote for your favorite socalist! While you're waiting for your first election, you can take the opportunity to apply for socal security benefits and food stamps. iAliens also have the automobile insurance requirement waived as well as all car registration fee's waived. And, if you act now, you have the opportunity to be granted american citizenship only during this limited time offer!

The good news is you can still buy a gun here in KA, and, as an iAlien if you get caught with it, you have automatic racial immunity!

so what are you waiting for?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
robr_45acp said:
Of course you could win the Kalifornia lottery by going to mexico and sneaking across the boarder. Upon arrival you will be welcomed with open arms, free housing and medical coverage *and* most importantly, you'll be able to get a valid KA drivers license and be able to vote for your favorite socalist! While you're waiting for your first election, you can take the opportunity to apply for socal security benefits and food stamps. iAliens also have the automobile insurance requirement waived as well as all car registration fee's waived. And, if you act now, you have the opportunity to be granted american citizenship only during this limited time offer!

The good news is you can still buy a gun here in KA, and, as an iAlien if you get caught with it, you have automatic racial immunity!

so what are you waiting for?
I understand that you have problem with illegal immigrants, and it's not a small local problem, but my family never want to make a illegal move.
We are not "social cancer", we don't look for help, we have ideas about our future in US and most important idea is a hard work.
We will arrive in US with enough money to buy a house and land.
We are just law abiding citizens who looking for better place for our child, and we want to pay taxes for state/country that can made a good use from our money. So don't be afraid of us.
Nestor

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Dont take it personal Nestor I think some of the guys down on the border states have a problem with all immigrants because of the illegal problem down there.

Most of us more than welcome the old style of good immigrant that comes here to breath free and build a future for themselves. In my area we have a good number of Russian Ukranian and other E European immigrants.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
My anger is not toward honest productive new citizens Nestor. Your family is no threat, but instead a benefit to our society!

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are going to have a gun for defense purposes, you should enroll in a Concealed Handgun License class. You will learn everything of what you ask.

·
Registered
145 Posts
sshbiker said:
Nestor,

Texas has very favorable gun laws.

Home defense guns are in abundance, but many would agree that you can't go wrong with a good pump shotgun with an 18 to 20 inch barrel.

Ranges are common in most areas, and there are plenty of rural "open areas" where you can shoot provided you have the land owner's permission.

Lethal force is generally justified when used to protect yourself or a third party from "serious bodily injury". It is also justified in protecting property, but only at night. Be advised that the chances of being sued in a civil suit are very high, even if no criminal charges are filed.

Gun transport: Long guns, if loaded, must be in plain sight (not concealed). Handguns may be transported if you are "traveling" and it seems that the definition of traveling is entirely dependent on the officer. This, of course, does not apply to Concealed Handgun Licensees.

Concerning firearms ownership and legal status, I am unsure. I believe that Texas does not require you to be a US citizen in order to obtain a CHL (Concealed Handgun License), but it does require you to be a resident of Texas for at least six months.

Hope this helps . . . and your English isn't too darned bad.:)

Shawn
Texas Lae does not specify that Rifles and shotguns be "in plain sight", nor does a loaded or unloaded status apply.

Texas "unlawful carrying weapon statute;

Text
§46.02. Unlawful carrying weapons.

(a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly
carries on or about his person a handgun, illegal knife, or club.

(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a
Class A misdemeanor.

(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense
is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of
alcoholic beverages.

There are exception for CHL holders, but none for loaded or unloaded long guns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts