1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Nope, just the expected drop in sales, and associated revenue, now that the scare about an impending gun ban has subsided somewhat.

People went out and purchased what they thought the needed over the past couple of years, when everybody expected a possible gun ban to be pushed through Congress. Now they are not buying like they were.

This, in conjunction with an acquisition that results in an additional $100M in debt. That does make their debt to cash ration somewhat worrisome in the financial market, but has absolutely nothing to do with how the average person feels about purchasing their product. It also has nothing to do with the expected future of the company since this is something that S&W looked at was well aware of prior to making the acquisition. They are still well within their margin of debt to revenue that they are have to abide by.

I am certainly not concerned about them, and I am considering an M&P 9mm for my next handgun sometime this next year.

·
Banned
461 Posts
Smith has been dead to me for decades. I cant understand why folks think an impending gun ban has subsided. King Sharpton is manipulating his puppet prez into what is going to become the end of local/state law enforcement and the beginning of a federal police force. Conn. is talking about going door to door confiscating the initial phase of what will be eventually all firearms. The puppet prez is making statements that our 238 year old legal system is outdated and skewed against folks of color by having a 'dictatorial' indictment system. If anyone thinks they will not live long enough to see their guns taken by the 'new' american society of entitled minorities and liberal academics, they are fooling themselves.

·
Registered
113 Posts
while not a financial expert I'm a solid Smith fan. while I don't own there 1911 I have an m&p and a body guard. both are solid guns and I would recommend them to anyone.

·
Registered
78 Posts
http://goo.gl/qzeq3E - Link to Article (

They're going to be competing for the US Army sidearm of the future. I don't think they're dead. Maybe with all of the other options out there, people talk a little less about them. But, if they were to win the military contract, that would certainly revive things among the civilian enthusiasts.

The interesting thing about this is that they have paired with General Dynamics on the project. They are obviously a heavyweight in terms of gov't contracts, and would lend some influence to S&W's bid, as well as defense know-how.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I look at S&W like I look at Budweiser. Everyone knows their name, whether you own guns (or drink beer in the example) or not.

Budweiser use to make 40 million barrels of beer per year. Now they make 14 million barrels per year. Why the dramatic decrease? Microbrews and local craft breweries are eating a large portion of their market share. Why? Well, these local microbrews offer something special, not just the same old thing with lime in it. And consumers are willing to pay more for a craft brew.

You may ask who the microbreweries of the gun world are?

Dan Wesson
STI
Walther
Les Baer (to a certain extent)

These manufacturers along with heavy hitters like Sig/Glock/Springfield Armory are going to continue to make S&W seem irrelevant.

They do have a firm grasp on the revolver market and would really shine if they removed those damn locks.

Just one guys perspective.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a couple of M&P 9's, a full size and compact and they are great guns. I have to admit that I have been sliding toward CZ's lately however.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I look at S&W like I look at Budweiser. Everyone knows their name, whether you own guns (or drink beer in the example) or not.

Budweiser use to make 40 million barrels of beer per year. Now they make 14 million barrels per year. Why the dramatic decrease? Microbrews and local craft breweries are eating a large portion of their market share. Why? Well, these local microbrews offer something special, not just the same old thing with lime in it. And consumers are willing to pay more for a craft brew.

You may ask who the microbreweries of the gun world are?

Dan Wesson
STI
Walther
Les Baer (to a certain extent)

These manufacturers along with heavy hitters like Sig/Glock/Springfield Armory are going to continue to make S&W seem irrelevant.

They do have a firm grasp on the revolver market and would really shine if they removed those damn locks.

Just one guys perspective.
Agree with the 'Hillery Hole' statement. I became a Ruger revolver shooter/owner because of S&W's locks. Even if they stopped putting locks on their revolvers I doubt that I would start buying S&W revolvers due to the history.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Agree with the 'Hillery Hole' statement. I became a Ruger revolver shooter/owner because of S&W's locks. Even if they stopped putting locks on their revolvers I doubt that I would start buying S&W revolvers due to the history.
What S&W history are you referring to? And, if a company history will keep you from buying their gun, you really need to research Bill Ruger seeing as how you went with Ruger guns.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I carry two Smith J frames each night at the Stob and Rob. I love my S&W 1911 PC and might buy another this year.

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
I think it's also a poor marketing strategy that S&W suffers from with a bad product line up.

Case in point, they dropped a couple of my favorite revolver models and added a few that I felt were too exotic for the 2014 year.

I really felt that when they dropped the Night Guard series, it was a mistake. I have a the S&W386NG which is a 7 shot, 2 1/2 inch barrel, L-Frame Scandium frame, blacken stainless steel cylinder, and night sights. I really like that revolver and it was my most carried revolver for years. It was heavy enough to shoot mild load .357 rounds, yet light enough to conceal carry all day.

The other revolver they dropped was the 632 revolver. It is the 6 round J-Frame chambered in .327 magnum. I have the 3 inch model with the ported barrel. I was hoping to pick up a NIB 632 in the 2 inch version. For some reason, no one is offering a gun for the .327 magnum these days. That round came and went and is destined to become extinct. Yet I found it to be a very versatile round because the revolver chambered for the .327 magnum could chamber everything from .32 S&W longs, .32 H&R Magnums to the .327 magnum allowing the shooter to pick a loading they could handle.

I could go on because they made many marketing errors with their revolver line.

·
Registered
229 Posts
barmandr;5327600 And said:
I haven't owned any Rugers in forty years and I'm not going to start
now. Pete

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
All S&W has to do is make a gun I want more than any other gun, at least for a moment. I'm certainly not going to buy one out of pity.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Declining revenue will test their meddle. If they start cutting costs and cashing out their hard earned brand, they'll start circling the corporate toilet bowl. I'd dump them on the first indication of this.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
....Case in point, they dropped a couple of my favorite revolver models and added a few that I felt were too exotic for the 2014 year.......
Keep in mind, the only reason any company drops any product is because it's not generating sufficient profit.

Hell.....you can't even buy a stick tranny in an F150 anymore. Why????? Because Ford didn't sell enough of them to keep the manual in the lineup.

·
Premium Member
9,139 Posts
Hell.....you can't even buy a stick tranny in an F150 anymore. Why????? Because Ford didn't sell enough of them to keep the manual in the lineup.
I know... the very first automatic transmission vehicle I ever owned was a 2003 Ford F250 FW4. If I wanted a stick, it would be 6 months I was told. I told the salesman I didn't know how to drive an automatic but I'll give it a try. ;)

I should have gone with a Ram Dodge 2500 with the Hemi. They had several 4X4 with stick shift on the floor in the showroom down the street and I found out unfortunately about 2 weeks later.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
Wow. We've got guys on here who will never buy a Smith & Wesson, or a Colt, or a Ruger... or a Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Bushmaster, etc...

What ever happened to the stereotype of gun owners being a patriotic bunch? Do you want all your firearms to be made in Austria or Japan from now on?

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't think S&W is the only firearms manufacturing that will see a drop in sales. The last couple of years sales have been through the roof.
Many manufacturers are now offering rebates and special promotions, reason being is a slow down in sales. I don't think S&W is going anywhere soon.

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
I'll be looking forward to the great promo sales

M&P's for $399
Shield's for $329 and less
Airweight snubbies for under $300
even buy a Sigma or two for $250

what's not to love for a buyer??

..L.T.A.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status