1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
the thing that pisses me off about s&w is that they bought Thompson Center and buried the contender and encore line .

they might still be on their www but they are long gone as far as anything coming out of the factory .

[deleted] .
I have more Contenders than 1911's or S&W's. I miss the contenders and encores. I still love my S&W pre-safety revolvers. Hard to knock a brand that has given me so much enjoyment.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I had an M&P for a long time and really liked it. Swapped out the sights for TruGlo TFOs and had a very nice shooter, but it had to go toward financing the 1911 my wife wanted. If mama ain't happy ...

As much as I liked the M&P, though, if I were going to shell out the money for a poly gun today I'd go with a PPQ or a VP9. The S&W I'd be most likely to invest in would be a 686+.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm certainly not abandoning them. Bought a shield 9mm yesterday as a matter of fact, lol. They make a solid product as far as I'm concerned.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
Well, I think everbody oughta spend his own money what whatever blows his dress up or makes his heart thump. I don't know a single firearms manufacturer that was perfect with every product they turned out, and even if they were, some folks wouldn't like 'em or buy 'em. And that's our individual privilege. S&W makes some products I like and some I don't care for. But I sure do like the ones I like.

What roasts my goat is why folks are still holding the present day S&W liable for the concession a totally different set of owners made. Yeah, they are still making most of their revolvers with the trigger lock, but most other firearms have some sort of "safety" lock now that they didn't used to have. Why don't you quit buying those brands?

It's anyone's privilege to chose what they spend their money for. And it's OK to express your opinion about what you don't like. But writing off the complete inventory for something found on a great many other brands seems kinda like cutting off your nose to spite your face to me. I know a lot of you don't agree with me, and that's OK. But like you, I'll spend my money for what I want. But I'll also try not to insult you if you buy something I don't personally like. I really hate to see any firearms related manufacturer go out of business, but many have over the years and many will continue to do so. It's the nature of business. But doing business in today's climate is a pretty steep hill to climb, and if we don't all get together and support ALL those who make and sell and use firearms, and if we don't hold our "representatives" feet to the fire by turning them out on the street if they don't simply respect and support and enforce the Constitution of our Country across the board, then we deserve what we get.
This.

gun peeples is the funniest peeples

we hate Glocks
we hate S&W
we hate Springer
we hate Kimber
we hate Colt
we hate Sig
we hate Philippine guns
we hate Beretta
we hate 1911s (well, the other non 1911 forum fanboys do)
we hate poly guns
WE HATE MIM!!!

boy oh boy, we're a hateful bunch ain't we....:p

..L.T.A.
and this.

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
I still buy their older revolvers,never have been fond of their autos and don't need a gun with a key.(can't even keep up with my truck keys)
This. I occasionaly buy an older blued revolver. Best things they ever made IMO.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I own several S&W revolvers, no pistols or rifles. I do prefer the older revolvers because they're so much nicer. That being said, I do have 3 of their newer guns, a 642, a 686 and a 625 JM I like all 3 but all had problems when brand new and 2 of them I returned on warranty and S&W partially corrected them. The 625 is a really fun gun for IDPA type shooting. The pistol and AR markets are really saturated with guns. My 2 cents, start making nice revolvers again.

·
Registered
23,859 Posts
I have a couple of their AR type rifles.

They both shoot rather well. The fourty or so of their handguns that I also own are not to shabby either.

·
Registered
781 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I look at S&W like I look at Budweiser. Everyone knows their name, whether you own guns (or drink beer in the example) or not.

Budweiser use to make 40 million barrels of beer per year. Now they make 14 million barrels per year. Why the dramatic decrease? Microbrews and local craft breweries are eating a large portion of their market share. Why? Well, these local microbrews offer something special, not just the same old thing with lime in it. And consumers are willing to pay more for a craft brew.

You may ask who the microbreweries of the gun world are?

Dan Wesson
STI
Walther
Les Baer (to a certain extent)

These manufacturers along with heavy hitters like Sig/Glock/Springfield Armory are going to continue to make S&W seem irrelevant.

They do have a firm grasp on the revolver market and would really shine if they removed those damn locks.

Just one guys perspective.
That doesn't exactly work that way. At least not in the beer world.

Anheuser-Busch, a wholly owned subsidiary of*Anheuser-Busch InBev, is the largestbrewing company*in the United States, with a market share of 49.2%.

InBev owns over 200 beer brands including Bud and a lot of microbreweries. The 2 largest beer companies are InBev and Heineken, which owns close to 200 different brands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everyone's sales are down from the peak. They all knew they could never sustain it and that it was a going to be a short lived trend. Sig and Ruger are down in the same fashion.

Nothing new there. Most of the companies have outside income beyond firearms.

·
Registered
5,756 Posts

we hate Glocks
we hate S&W
we hate Springer
we hate Kimber
we hate Colt
we hate Sig
we hate Philippine guns
we hate Beretta
we hate poly guns
WE HATE MIM!!!

..L.T.A.
Dang Cappi, you just hit the nail-in-the-coffin. I belong to one or two of those things you mentioned.:biglaugh:

·
Administrator
73,477 Posts

we hate Glocks
we hate S&W
we hate Springer
we hate Kimber
we hate Colt
we hate Sig
we hate Philippine guns
we hate Beretta
we hate poly guns
WE HATE MIM!!!

..L.T.A.
...until the antis come and try to ban them, in which case we suddenly love 'em all!

·
Premium Member
14,685 Posts
...until the antis come and try to ban them, in which case we suddenly love 'em all!
yessir

and one thing most all gun peebles agree to hate, are the anti's

but The Big Guy i know, says I shouldn't be a hatter...
and He knows I "try"

So I have to pity them for being born without a rational functioning brain, while vehemently opposing their actions....

;)

..L.T.A.

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Everyone's sales are down from the peak. They all knew they could never sustain it and that it was a going to be a short lived trend. Sig and Ruger are down in the same fashion.

Nothing new there. Most of the companies have outside income beyond firearms.
We all knew the panic buying would be a temporary boom.

The real losers are the companies that scaled up production to meet the demand; bought specialized equipment, hired new workers, and just as they scaled up production, sales soften.

That may be the case with S&W and several firearm's manufacturers. There is always a lead-lag in our supply and demand free market economics system and so the executives at these companies really need to see these trends or they can commit to expenditures that can doom their companies.

I honestly hate to see S&W revolver line go the same way of the Colt double action revolvers. I think it would be a genuine loss. Companies like Ruger, Charter Arms, Taurus, Rossi would fill in and their Revolvers in my opinion just don't have the feel and finish of the S&W. I have couple of Ruger's, but they don't have any Airweight J-frame equivalent like S&W. Their SP101 is a nice little gun, but it built like a tank and much heavier than the aluminum frame J-Frames that S&W makes. Charter and Taurus just don't have the kind of quality of a S&W in my opinion. We would have a loss without S&W.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If S&W made ANYTHING that I felt was a quality product, I would buy it. Nothing in their product line is better than anything it competes with. Just on par or below.

They are like the Chevy of the gun world. They are an iconic American brand that makes a lot of boring products.
I couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
What ever happened to the stereotype of gun owners being a patriotic bunch? Do you want all your firearms to be made in Austria or Japan from now on?
Heck no. It would be better if they were all made in China. Those would be really cheap. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
Wow. We've got guys on here who will never buy a Smith & Wesson, or a Colt, or a Ruger... or a Remington, Marlin, Mossberg, Bushmaster, etc...
I'll buy firearms from any of these manufacturers. Just nothing new.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts

we hate Glocks
we hate S&W
we hate Springer
we hate Kimber
we hate Colt
we hate Sig
we hate Philippine guns
we hate Beretta
we hate poly guns
WE HATE MIM!!!

..L.T.A.
Unless you own one then there ain't nothin' wrong with it, and don't try to tell me otherwise.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
If S&W made ANYTHING that I felt was a quality product, I would buy it. Nothing in their product line is better than anything it competes with. Just on par or below.

They are like the Chevy of the gun world. They are an iconic American brand that makes a lot of boring products.
I couldn't agree more.
My thoughts also. And the reason I only own one S&W revolver. It's a aluminum frame 22 some dumb sod had taken sandpaper to. So I bought it, had it spray-n-baked just because it looked so pitiful. Still can't work up any love for it though.

Bob

41 - 60 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.