1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
None of us would be too sad if we had invested heavily in Smith and Wesson stock 10 years ago. I have a 357 magnum, 1911 and M&P and find no fault with any of them. Are they as cool as my Wilson Combat - no - but they still put the lead downrange just fine.

·
Registered
23,857 Posts
I guess that I will just have to post some pictures.

Some of the Products that S&W has made over the years are pretty nice. I do not know what I can find tonight. But I will look. I have more pics of my S&Ws and I will find them. But I am pretty happy overall with their products.

Here are a couple of shots of some of my model 29s. I have more but these are the only six inch barreled models that I currently own. They shoot really well.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,577 Posts
The fact that S&W pulled their M&P line up, sans the Shield, from California shelve's accounts for a % or two, at least!

While we have bought M&P's through our SSE process, that sadly comes to a close at the end of the year.

I have multiple M&P's and one revolver, and will gladly buy another should they become legal for sale again here.

·
Registered
866 Posts
You'll not hear me crying. I've done my bit. S&W is probably the most numerous brand in my collection, and is well-represented in my carry & hunting current actives. I even have (and like) a SW1911 with one of those gawd-awful sacrilegious pandemonium-inducing external extractors! :rolleyes: I have one S&W poly gun, of which I am not especially enamored, nor egregiously ashamed.

My grandfather liked his Colts, and my dad did too, but dad also liked his Smiths. If it was good enough for dad, it's good enough for me! :D

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
E-series is what got me started with 1911 and I still find it to be a very nice gun. Reliable and plenty accurate for me, plus has a bit of unique styling :)

I still recommend it to people for first 1911 under $1000

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
If they made an 8 shot 357 without the lock I'd buy it.

Since they only build guns their suits and lawyers want, they are going to have to buy them.

They are the ones running the company into the ground, not me. I'm sorry but that's the price you pay when you decide to suck.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Smith has been dead to me for decades. I cant understand why folks think an impending gun ban has subsided. King Sharpton is manipulating his puppet prez into what is going to become the end of local/state law enforcement and the beginning of a federal police force. Conn. is talking about going door to door confiscating the initial phase of what will be eventually all firearms. The puppet prez is making statements that our 238 year old legal system is outdated and skewed against folks of color by having a 'dictatorial' indictment system. If anyone thinks they will not live long enough to see their guns taken by the 'new' american society of entitled minorities and liberal academics, they are fooling themselves.
Wow. I pray that you're wrong. But my gut tells me that you are not.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
If they made an 8 shot 357 without the lock I'd buy it.

Since they only build guns their suits and lawyers want, they are going to have to buy them.

They are the ones running the company into the ground, not me. I'm sorry but that's the price you pay when you decide to suck.
Agreed.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't care for the lock or the frame mounted firing pin but the 686 plus I bought is fit better than most older models I've handled without the lock and hammer mounted firing pin. The gun is absolutely beautiful and I would compare it to anything. problem is s&w has a consistency issue unfortunately.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Has anyone on this forum personally ever had S&W lock actually render the gun unshootable? I have both lock and no lock revolvers. I never had a lock engage by accident. Never seen one engage at a match either. I can understand the disdain for their initial reason for being, but not from a purely functional standpoint.

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Has anyone on this forum personally ever had S&W lock actually render the gun unshootable? I have both lock and no lock revolvers. I never had a lock engage by accident. Never seen one engage at a match either. I can understand the disdain for their initial reason for being, but not from a purely functional standpoint.
Correct. It a silly excuse to hate the manufacturer. There are plenty of others that have internal locks that no one hates like the Springfield EMP's, the Taurus, and a few others. People hurl their hatred of a politically driven internal lock that was engineered years ago against S&W but no one has said a thing about some of the other manufacturers.

·
Administrator
73,472 Posts
Well, I guess I'm just as silly then. I lost interest in buying a new Springfield M1A years ago when they took off the bayonet lug. And of course like everybody else I have absolutely no use for a bayonet lug, but just the idea that they removed it really chapped my hide. For the same reason I refuse to own any ban-era AR with no flash hider or bayonet lug, not because I need those features but because I hate being reminded that I own a watered-down, neutered version of a firearm that shouldn't have to look that way.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I don't care for the lock or the frame mounted firing pin but the 686 plus I bought is fit better than most older models I've handled without the lock and hammer mounted firing pin. The gun is absolutely beautiful and I would compare it to anything. problem is s&w has a consistency issue unfortunately.
Your perogative.
Someone posted a pic of a S&W remake of an older Classic model. Had the lock. AFAIC, that hole and arrow ruins the look of the firearm. Classic, my ass. That they expect the buying public to just suck it up is a slap in the face.
My first firearm was a newly introduces S&W Model 66. Have owned several of their revolvers since. Still buy a S&W revolver once in awhile, but only pre/no lock models.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Correct. It a silly excuse to hate the manufacturer. There are plenty of others that have internal locks that no one hates like the Springfield EMP's, the Taurus, and a few others. People hurl their hatred of a politically driven internal lock that was engineered years ago against S&W but no one has said a thing about some of the other manufacturers.
The OP addresses S&W.
AFA other manufacturers: The Colt FPS , for example, is internal, not a glaring, lawyer driven "Screw you" on the side of the firearm.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Why would you open a 6 year old thread to say nothing ???

Bob

·
Administrator
73,472 Posts
61 - 77 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.