1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering what the overall effects of various gun oils have on the leather holsters that hold them. It seems the oils, similar yet different to human body oil could benefit the leather - then again they could deteriorate it as well.

I am not suggesting that the oils be used for anything other than the gun itself, but it stands to reason that a well oiled gun will eventually rub off excess oils onto their holsters over time.

best,
Galileo

·
Registered
112 Posts
a well oiled gun should be dry to the touch and should not leave any oil residue on the leather. leather needs some suppliment but oil will break the memory of the leather and the suppliment should be very very light. maybe a light saddle soaping if the leather gets dirty, very kight rub of lexol, and then only very seldom.
blessings

·
Premium Member
671 Posts
A slight residue of gun oil on your firearm will do no harm to your holster.

However, under no circumstances use a petroleum based product on your holster--Under No Circumstances!

If your holster collects a little dirt along the way use a damp cloth and a slight very slight amount of dishwater soap ie Dawn, etc.

Regards,

·
Banned
399 Posts
I'll second what lasports had to say. A tiny bit of residue from a petroleum based lube will not harm a holster. Howver, absolutely NEVER apply petroleum substances of any kind to your holster. I'll take it a step further and tell you never to oil a holster, period. Neetsfoot, neetsfoot compound, harness oil and mink oil will all sufficiently relax the leather's fiber structure to totally destroy the mold.
A light application of Lexol conditioner (a couple of drops) worked into the leather is more than sufficient. This usually only needs to be done about once a year under normal conditions. Properts leather Balm is another product that will give you good results, but again, only a few drops.
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello and thanks Gary.
I just checked out your web site. I must say I'm impressed with the low profile of your rigs - they seem to defy the laws of physical space. I am also impressed with your professionalism, both in regard to the accolades from other respected professionals in your field and your acknowledgement of others, i.e. Milt Sparks.

I've never considered IWB because I've always thought the hardness of the gun pressed against the hip bone would cause discomfort in a short while. I think I should reconsider in light of these innovative and excellent designs you've created.

Your a class act!

best,
Robert Stanton
Galileo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts