Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question to any and all?

Here in the USA, I wonder what could be done by our elected officials to Re-allow the importation of Norinco 1911's. How many congress critters would it take to un-do slick willies ban on the Norinco handgun line? When I read about the prices in OZ and Canada and realize the actual value and quality of these handguns, it almost makes it worth a letter or phone call or three to see if our Senators & Congressmen can make a change.

Anybody got a read on this situation?
What was the exact enactment (Exec. Order, BATF ruling, etc.) that caused the ban on ONLY the handguns? Jim V. do ya have the answer?

I mean, they allow Philipino .45's (Daly, Rock Island), old Argentine's, etc. Why stop the "Made in China's" only?

Enquiring minds want to know.

Adios Qweeksdraw

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
There was no act of Congress involved in the ban, AFAIK, just an executive order by the Slime. I thought at the time more than pistols were banned from importation. Most of it was cosmetic to show those pesky Chinese that we were not going to take their actions laying down. Actions like human rights violations, smuggling AK47's (real '47's) into the US, and to take the American mind off the plan to give them total use of the shipping docks in Long Beach, Ca. Of course the sale of pistols in the US by the PRC was/is a minute amount of money compared to electronics, shoes and clothing but we had to show them.

The ban also was used to show that Clinton was tough with them after the news of huge amounts of $ being funneled to his political fund from the PRC. "They haven't bought me. They can't import them pistols any more."

Many of the regulations banning importation of certain firearms are not in place because the Congress enacted direct laws banning them, they are the result of petty bureaucrat interperting what was enacted. The ban on ammunition feeding devices over 10 rounds was for detachable magazines, etc. Bureaucrats decided that the ban also meant tublar magazines on lever action rifles, for a little while.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Jim so what can be done to overturn this? If we start flooding our political officials with letters and emails will that do any good? Does Ole Dubya have to do it himself and if he does, he is a little to busy right now for this.

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
617 Posts
I'm new to the forum and this site and was reading through the posts Friday and had the same thoughts about the ban on Norinco 1911, etc.
I'v shot several and fine them a realy great gun to shoot..I would love to see them back in this country...Perhaps even though we're in this time of world stress if all of us shooters, Norinco owners, Colt, Spriingfield etc, come together in a writing campaign, we just might make the difference.
I say writing as aposed to e-mail..I knew Jim talent from Missouri and John Aschroft as my senators..Both informed me that they weight the snail mail five times over the email..Though John Aschroft was the only one (I'm sure it was his staff) would e-mail me back any time I email him.
So perhaps it is time.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I still suspect getting the ban repealed will be difficult. I believe the US gun Mfg's like the fact that you cannot obtain Chi-Com guns anymore. Their quality is now rivalling their US counterparts. That would mean serious losses if the US Mfg's could not compete. I wonder if the US Mfg's were behind this ban in the first place? Anyone else know? I don't see any great thrust to get the law repealed. Canada imports all of it's firearms. There is no difference as to what country they come from. spock

·
Registered
617 Posts
To Spock
Well I thought about that angle myself, but I doubt that the market would really be effected much. You have Colt lovers, Kimbers and SA, etc.
At least you have access to them..Here Norico is still in busines and important firearms that don't fit the ban catagories...Like the Model 97..I also think you will maybe see more of the Cowboy Action Market addressed by Norinco in Colt style Peacemakers.
But seriously US shooters should at least try.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
I don't really think that we are going to get the ban recinded anytime soon but a letter campaign may help in that direction. GW could recind the ban with an executive order like the one starting it. He could issue one recinding his father's "Assault Rifle" ban too.

I really don't think that the US makers of 1911s were behind the ban. Lets face it Norinco 1911s were a very small piece of the 1911 market, and were even a smaller piece of the total PRC made goods market here. The ban was put in place by Slickster to:
  • Tell the PRC not to mess with his money. (more bans to follow)
    Make the American public think he was being tough with the PRC.
    Give the anti-gunners a bone.

Of course the US gun makers did have their thumb in the GCA of '68.

Sometimes, I think that we USA Norinco 1911 shooters are almost a cult in that we shoot what are a small part of the entire spectrum of 1911s. The total number of Norinco Models of the 1911A1 imported into the US was quite small and that number does not grow. At this rate our sons and daughters could be telling some one with a Kimber or Baer or Rock River or Wilston that they are shooting some common pistol while they are shooting a NORINCO. "Peasant!!"

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Originally posted by Jim V:
At this rate our sons and daughters could be telling some one with a Kimber or Baer or Rock River or Wilston that they are shooting some common pistol while they are shooting a NORINCO. "Peasant!!"

LMAO

------------------
The path of the rightous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish
and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who in the name of charity and justice
shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness for he is truely his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children and I will strike down upon thee with great vengence and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brother and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengence upon thee

·
Registered
345 Posts
JimV
Well said on the politics. It's amazing to me that Norinco 1911's are now becoming rare in the USA where they were born. Too bad really. Norinco 1911's are as common as dirt here. They are becoming the norm here for custom conversions. The smith's love them.

It would of made a real difference in what Norinco would be offering today had the US money and demand been involved. There'd probably have been 16 models and a 100 options by now. Good luck to all in getting a repeal. spock

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Helmet, the Norinco pistols in the US are those that were imported before the ban. If we buy them no money goes to China. Before you you say buying Norinco pistols will lead us to speaking Mandarin in a couple of decades, look at your tv set, vcr, stereo, dcv player, clothing. More money flows to China for those goods then ever did for all the firearms they have imported to date.

Adding Norinco 1911's to the imports will add little to the amount of money going to China. The firearms trade was and is small when comapaired to the total China trade and the 1911 segment of that trade was even smaller.

Perhaps we will be speaking Mandarin in 20 years, but it will not be because we bought Chinese made 1911's.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
164 Posts
Norinco is nothing but a puppet company for the People's Liberation Army. In principle alone, I refuse to give money to an organization that is not only communist, but one of the most vile human rights violators in the Eastern bloc.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gosh Arnistador,

If we didn't buy all these "Made In China" products, how and where would they get (have gotten) all the money necessary to buy Mr. Clinton? I mean, gee whiz golly, slick willie gave PRC the "Entire US Patent Library", opened up rocket guidance systems sales, etc. in the name of World Trade.

How are those poor Chinese dissidents gonna get their free bowl of rice if the good old US of A doesn't kick in and buy, buy, buy?

As to the Human Rights thing, about 140 - 100 years ago there was this country that, while a democratic form of Republic, practiced "Genocide" on the native indiginous culture to the point where they had NO RIGHTS WHATSOEVER. Matter of fact most of the local natives died as a result of the official US Govt (oops, the cats out of the bag now) policy. Even those who tried to assimilate into a society modeled after the white mans, (See Trail of Tears, Cherokee History), had Supreme Court rulings in their favor and were "relocated for their own good" after the Prez basically told the SCOTUS to go...pound sand.

I agree with your right of opinion and speech, so I'd never expect you to Own a fine, cheap firearm made by a former ally whose present form of Gov't doesn't agree lock stock and barrel with your definition of political correctness.

It's just that the Model of 1911 that I own and was manufactured on the Asian continent, is so darned accurate and reliable.

Darn those Chinese anyway.

Adios Qweeksdraw

[This message has been edited by Baba Louie (edited 10-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
This is not where this post started out but I will add my .02,, I refuse to buy something from China if I can help it. Most electronics and tools and their parts are from china as well as clothes, Oh damn, just about everything! But if I've got a choice, I won't buy from them. If anyone thinks they are NOT an enemy of the US, your are indeed naive. Would you buy a 1911 made in Iraq?? How about syria?

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Before this thread becomes one where members are calling each other names and cursing the moderator, me, (which you may be doing any way) I will close it.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.