1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the recent take-over of the airport control tower in Manila where two armed military men( the perpetuators), were neutralized and shot dead by a Police S.W.A.T team, the police claimed a shootout. Forensic results on the dead men however showed that they were negative for powder burns.The two used a 9mm and a .45cal pistols(probably a 1911). The police concluded that at times pistols tend not to leave powder burns on
the user. Is this claim accurate? Just curious.

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
It would depend on the distance between the shooter and the shootee. If the distance was far enough there would be no gunpowder burns on the ones shot.

By testing using the same lot of ammunition, the labs can determine just how far the victim was from the weapon fired. No powder burns means the distance was to great.

Or do you mean there was no residue on the hands of the people killed?

·
Registered
386 Posts
I believe you're talking not about gun powder burns (as in being the victim of a shooting at close range) but about gun powder residue (left on the hand or clothing by the gun of the shooter), used to identify whether or not someone recently fired a gun. In this case, I think that they're saying that there was a shootout, but there was no gun powder residue found on the men shot by the police. This may indicate that the men did not fire on the police before being killed.

I'm not an expert, but I would think that not finding residue at all after firing a handgun more than once would be very rare. I know how dirty my hands are after a shooting session, and it only takes a few traces to get a positive result in my understanding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim and Ed. I stand corrected. Yes I meant powder residue.It seems then that there was no exchange of fire.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
While this is an interesting story, and I wonder as well what really happened, it does not seem to be really a firearms related topic. If the discussion does not concentrate on powder residue, but rather on what really happened there, I'm afraid that we will have to close this thread. For now we'll sit back and see how it goes. Stay safe, Gary

1 - 5 of 5 Posts