1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I have just recently moved to the DFW area and am looking for a good gun range. If anyone has any information, please reply. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
16 Posts
I live in Plano, near the Bullet Trap. It is an indoor range. I think it's kind of expensive. Garland also has an indoor range, Targetmaster, and the Garland Outdoor Range. Irving has Winchester Shooting park.

I'm in search of an outdoors place. I don't like ranges, because I hate punching paper. I want to kill a can! I know that there are some areas where they allow shooting by Lake Lavon.

FYI, the best gun stores in Dallas are:

Bachman Pawn - Don't be fooled by their lack of a Yellow Pages advertisement. They are a major distributor and have a large presense at the gun shows. They are usually the first ones in Dallas to get in a new gun. These guys are also the most fairest (sp?) gun store to trade with. Go in there with honest expectations and you will probably cut a deal you are happy with. Their prices are also only slightly higher than gun show prices. ie. New Colt Cowboys for $499. They won't give you any of that "that model you've got just doesn't sell" business. They carry a full line of Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Ruger and S&W. And I mean a full line. Not just one of this and one of that.

Ray's Hardware - This is a great place to find older guns, many new, that are long out of production. They still have lots of new Colt Troopers, Detective Specials. Unfortunately, their old inventory is slowing declining and they are becoming like most other gun stores. Their prices have always been too high. That is another reason why they have had a lot of stock. They are kind of a living firearms museum. They carry a little of everything, but they are not a full line dealer.

Irving Firearms - I haven't been to their retail outlet, but I was impressed by their selection at the gun shows. They are where I bought my Colt repro 1911A1. They were the first to get them in DFW and I bought their first one! I was surprised that they beat Bachman Pawn on getting this new model in.

Bullet Trap - It is slowing becoming a player in gun sales, but it is populated by "experts" who claim to know more than they really do.

The best gun shows are Big Town and Market Hall.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
BQ99,

Welcome to the forum and feel free to share your experience with the rest of us. I hope the info from KenH was helpfull. I just cant help but think there have to be some other places around in places like Mesquite, or Seagoville, or Lewisville that might have some ranges that are not so expensive. If you find one be sure and let us know.

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

G

·
What part of town do you live in and how far are you willing to drive?

My two favorites in North Dallas are Collin County Gun Range www.ccgunrange.com and Backwoods in Little Elm.

Collin County hosts Collin Country IDPA and other clubs. It has a tactical range, pistol range, rifle range, and I believe they just opened up their skeet range.

Backwoods has pistol, rifle, skeet, trap, sporting clays, and 5 stand ranges.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
KenH pretty much nailed it. My only contribution would be to check out the Winchester Range (Luna Rd off 635) for some outdoor range time.Don't expect to be able to shoot any cans, however. But on a sunny afternoon with the temp about 103 degrees, you can't go wrong-sweating your butt off, sharing the afternoon with other hardcore firearm afficionado's, with the cacophany of multiple calibers exploding all around...excellent!

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
I live close to the Bullet Trap and overall my impression is positive. Random thoughts:

I think their prices for firearms are going down. They have had some really good deals recently, but you have to pick and choose. In one case they had an XSE and a nice Series 70 for $550... and a 1991A1 stainless for $650 in a different case... and a 4" Python for only $50 more. Explain THAT to me!

Generally, the people that work there have been friendly and free of the Gunshop Ignoramus disease, with one exception. One guy there seems convinced my Delta Elite will crack in two any second now just because, uh, Delta Elites do that!
But at least he was polite about it.

Avoid Big Bear Arms in Carrolton, their resident gunsmith is an idiot and has broken several people's guns (including one of mine).

------------------
CastleBravo
The Pit: http://www.geocities.com/mr_motorhead/index.html

·
Registered
633 Posts
I totally agree that you should avoid Big Bear Arms and Richard the Gunsmith at all costs. He did an amateur/botched installation of 3 sets of Novaks on my HKs (had to ship to Novaks to get the sights installed properly). What a mess that was. [Yes, Richard got paid...not worth the argument].

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always been an avid believer in knowledge sharing but have never seen it work quite this well. Everyone on this site is amazing. You all seem to want to share your information with everyone. In my industry, that is rare. Again, thank you. I will contribute as much as I possibly can to the sharing of knowledge.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I need to correct my earlier statement about the Bullet Trap. I should have said that they have a few "experts." They also have some helpful people.

I've heard a few wrong statements, with such authority, made by a few of their staff. Just last week one of their staff was trying to sell a 1991 to a customer. He was telling him that Colt was out of the consumer handgun business. I don't think he was lying, I just think he got his information from the wrong source. I went in there one day and asked them if they had any factory mini-14 magazines. The guy said that there wasn't such a thing. I clarified that I meant that perhaps they had some in on a trade-in. Once again, there wasn't such a thing. So I went to the gun show and bought two that weekend.

I have also talked to several very helpful people there.

·
Registered
75 Posts
What part of the Metro area are you in?

Quail Creek is a more 'basic' range than Backwoods Traps: 100 yard covered rifle, 12, 25 & 50 yard handgun & .22, a simple trap range.

Go North on I-35 East to Lewisville, West about 15 miles on FM1171 (Main St) all the way through Lewisville & Flower Mound. Cross Hwy 377, continue 2-3 miles, cross I-35 West. The range is about 1/4 mile past I-35W.

Depending on where you're coming from, you might go West on 114 & North on I-35 to 1171 - there's an exit.

They're closed Mondays.

------------------

·
Registered
8 Posts
there is "alpine" in fort worth, it's a outdoor range with lots of stuff, but no tin can shooting, their prices on guns seems to be really high. also in fort worth is a place on lancaster and 820 i think it is called the shooting gallery?, but it is a nice indoor range.
as for the bullet trap in plano, i know a former employee, mark, who is now working in a good gun store in oklahoma. he is very knowledgable and helpful. i always try to deal with him when i get up there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts