1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sometimes see people wearing shirts with logos on them such as glock, HK, or any any gun maker or gun product maker.

Please explain tactical advantages/disadvantages of wearing a shirt that virtually advertises that you are carrying concealed.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The vast majority of folks I see with shirts like that aren't carriers.

·
Registered
972 Posts
These seem most common at the shooting range or at gun shows. I seldom see them on people out and about, at least in my area.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have Molon Labe and AK-47.net polo shirts but they're only noticed by other gun enthusiasts.The logo is fairly small and subtle.Lately my wife seems to be wearing them more than me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Firearm Logo Clothing

This habit is not too bright. Unfortuntely, most those who do it 'round here ARE packing.

They seem separated into 2 groups: clueless civilians with CCL & clueless cops.

One of the worst offenders was an off-duty cop wearing a Sig ball cap and wearing a big, black "fanny pack" in front smack dab centerline. The guy's mannerisms and dress pretty much screamed, "Popo!"

Another fanny-pack commando was in my CCL class. An older fellow wearing a NRA cap with yet another fanny pack. He gave a a demonstration of his awesome fanny-pack technique, with much flair. Oooo, baby! Show me more. I didn't have the heart to tell him I was already legal to carry in Texas (out-of-state, reciprocating CCL) and was packing three hoglegs:
1. IWB at 4:00
2. Ankle
3. Pocket

(Yeah, three is excessisve, but I wanted to dress for the occasion ;)

Gun-logo clothing is for the house or range, IMO.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I would rather bee seen as just another honkey instead of a honkey with a gun shirt. Seems to me it would cause more probelms than it may prevent. Especially if I'm wearing one and actually have to shoot someone. I can just hear the civil court lawyer now "blah blah blah GUN SHIRT blah blah blah LOOKING TO KILL blah blah blah..." I know that's what they'll do anyway, but there is no reason to have that going against me as well.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If it comes to civil court, I'm already screwed. Thank the gods I'm in Idaho for a jury of peers that have half a clue.

I'm already going to have to make a lot of justification for using the gun, being a 6'8" behemoth who looks like he robs gas stations for fun - even with a permit and good references.

·
Premium Member
20,301 Posts
Kinda reminds me of the kids wearing the pot-leaf t-shirt and wondering why they were always singled out! :dope:

·
Banned
570 Posts
mr_dove said:
and if you're ever in any kind of a robbery the shirt basically says, "shoot me first".

Nice!!!!!!

Although, beyond this - who cares and what diff does it really make?

In court - a good shoot is a good shoot - period end of story.

Out and about - how many civis know what "Vang Comp", "Bushmaster Quality Parts Co.", "Sig", "Hk" mean? Now granted "Glock" or "Smith and Wesson" are iconic and thus universal. But really, so you are advertising. Yes, you will be signaled out by anyone that knows what these mean. However the bad guys will most likely look for someone else - unless the above happens. The biggest downside - short of above - is that you will most definately attract the attention of the "Do Right Boys".

Good Luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
I don't really care what people wear. I don't believe gun clothes make you stand out much more than a good posture. I know most of my friends have no idea what an HK is or blackhawk Ind.
But, I also don't think vests and fanny packs scream gun to the world. *I* know that vests and fanny packs are a good sign that someone is packing, but none of my friends or family does.
Do you guys really think the average Joe walking down the street thinks that a vest is a CCWer? I don't.

Most people don't hang around gun forums and discuss ways to carry!

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
92FS said:
I don't really care what people wear. I don't believe gun clothes make you stand out much more than a good posture. I know most of my friends have no idea what an HK is or blackhawk Ind.
But, I also don't think vests and fanny packs scream gun to the world. *I* know that vests and fanny packs are a good sign that someone is packing, but none of my friends or family does.
Do you guys really think the average Joe walking down the street thinks that a vest is a CCWer? I don't.

Most people don't hang around gun forums and discuss ways to carry!
Exactly! I may see a fanny pack and think "gun", but I am nearly 100% sure that that doesn't even enter the average person's mind. Nor do I think what someone's wearing is going to compute. I have one t-shirt that is gun oriented--the cheap SA you could get with the coupon--and though I haven't worn it to date, I wouldn't worry that people would assume I was carrying if I did. First off, where I live if they can SEE the t-shirt to read it (meaning its not under something else) then its summer and I'm either not carrying or have a pocket gun or something anyway. If I'm carrying a full size weapon, I probably have something else over it to cover anyway.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I have to agree with Scubie, the average sheep hardly notice anything, much less what some ol fart like me is wearing.

Peepaw

·
Registered
745 Posts
What bothers me more than this, are the people LEO or not, who have the black and blue bars decals and/or wear agency/dept clothing out and about. I have no problem with the clothing while on duty, but when off duty, or for that matter if you aren't even LE wearing these clothes and having these decals can be somewhat dangerous in my mind. If out in public as an off-duty LEO, out of uniform, wearing a shirt or having a decal can be the thing that reminds that guy in the crowd that you arrested him 2 years ago, and now he want some pay back. What if this happens when you are with your family? Gonna get in a shootout with them around? A fight? When you arrest people daily, it isn't unimaginable that you might not remember someone you once arrested, but I'll garauntee they'll remember you! And if you aren't LE, they appreciate the respect and tribute, but this could be even worse for you. Cause they might be looking for payback on anyone, and you never arrested anyone!

Just food for thought.

Hershey

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I totally agree with the concept of "low profile". Therefore, I don't wear gun related clothing anywhere. Why advertise? I don't think that there is any accurate way of predicting who will recognize what logo, etc., and how they will react. To me, its a small thing to forego. Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I agree with most of the post here, BUT (theres always a but.....) I also feel that wearing a shirt or vest that screams "GUN" may also change some bad guy's mind about jacking with you or others if he thinks someone has a gun and he will not be in complete controll. We will never know how many crimes were prevented because the bad guy got scared.

Too Tall

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'm a big believer in what John Farnam has described as the "Stealth Mode." Be the person that no one notices. This applies to how we dress and to what we stick on our vehicles.

I think that one of the keys to avoiding the bad guys is being alert and breaking contact with them as soon as possible.

Good shooting!
:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Threads like this are way I only drop into the T&PD forum about 1 in every 5 1911forum visits.
You're nitpicking the tactical liability of wearing a particular kind of t-shirt?!? *shakes head, rolls eyes, leaves*

·
Registered
112 Posts
TRB said:
Threads like this are way I only drop into the T&PD forum about 1 in every 5 1911forum visits.
You're nitpicking the tactical liability of wearing a particular kind of t-shirt?!? *shakes head, rolls eyes, leaves*
:scratch:

I think this is important.....very worthy of a discussion

·
Registered
312 Posts
I usually reserve my gun shirts to the range or around home. Once, (and ONLY once) I forgot I had my AR-15.com shirt and drove over to Canada. Man you should have seen the Canadian inspector's eyes when he saw the embroidered rifle on my chest. Boy, I will never do that again!!! :rolleyes: Good thing I had noting to do for an hour!!!!!!!
I am glad it wasn't a 1911 forum shirt, otherwise they would have likely got the latex gloves out!!!! :eek:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts