1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm lifetime NRA, curious about other groups that might be doing some good out there. The NRA is definitely under attack as we have seen. The lame stream media hates them as do liberal politicians, so they must be doing something right. Any other groups out there to send your dollars to? Thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
GOA, FPC. Various others. Until early this year I was holding my nose and throwing NRA a couple bucks here and there despite the trouble, thinking this has to be an all hands on deck time for the 2a community where we can’t afford to count any organization out. My thinking has come to be that the necessary changes to get NRA back on the right track may not happen as long ad they still see money rolling in. Money still coming in enables bad internal policy. They are off my list for now.

And if there is an important court ruling involving some org I haven’t donated to I look them up and throw them a few bucks. Especually state level organizations behind the blue curtain. They need it most, they’re taking the fight to the left where the attacks on 2a are the worst. They start many of those suits and then larger national organizations sign on after they get going.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info. Never thot about the NRA that way - as long as the money is rolling in. Guess no more raffles for me. That whole thing about La Pierre taking trips to the Caribbean really pissed me off.

·
Registered
570 Posts
This link will take you to Firearms Policy Coalition's (FPC) legal page where you can see what court cases they are directly involved in and some results of their work. They are pretty active.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
I'll preface this post by saying that I understand why folks feel as they do towards the NRA. I share those same views and opinions myself.

However, to walk away from the NRA now is to seal our fate. There is no other organization out there currently - no other - that has the size, scope, and power of the NRA. Yes, the others are worth supporting as well, but the NRA must continue to exist. Let's be frank about something: the reason the NRA devolved into the fiasco that it has become is because we let it happen!!!!! Many of us have treated it as if on auto-pilot over the years. Sure, we sent in money, returned the raffle entries, all that other stuff, but how many of us kept up with what was going on inside? Very few of us, indeed. So, you hate LaPierre because of his questionable actions? You, and I, and all of us allowed him to do what he did by our apathy, our inattention, and our laziness.

So, what to do? Fight, damn it!!!! That's what we do. The NRA is 'us' - that's not just a platitude, it's true! We need to clean house. We don't need a board full of do-nothings, resume builders, and silent celebrities. We need fighters, we need patriots, we need committed people. No other 2A organization has the resources and the size to instill fear in DC the way the NRA does. It's not just the left and the media that want us gone. I promise you that there are 'pseudo-conservatives' in DC that would like to see the 2A pressure on them lifted. We cannot allow that to happen, we cannot go away.

As the NRA goes, so do our 2A rights, and so do we. By the way, it's not just the 2A. There's much more at stake here.

So, walk away if so choose, but own the fact that by doing so, you become part of the problem, and you are giving aid and comfort to those who want our very way of life destroyed. By my way of thinking, if you own a gun - even if only one - you should be a member of the NRA. Five million members is a start, but it's also a joke compared to what we should have in our ranks. 80+ million Trump supporters? Then why don't we have at least 10 or 20 million NRA members? Because we're lazy, apathetic, and can't see the forest for the tress to save our own lives. It's also why the left dances circles around us over and over again!!!!

We need to wake up. It may already be too late, but at least we can face future generations and tell them that we didn't just quietly roll over and fade away. We each have a decision to make, and that decision carries dire consequences if made incorrectly.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll preface this post by saying that I understand why folks feel as they do towards the NRA. I share those same views and opinions myself.

However, to walk away from the NRA now is to seal our fate. There is no other organization out there currently - no other - that has the size, scope, and power of the NRA. Yes, the others are worth supporting as well, but the NRA must continue to exist. Let's be frank about something: the reason the NRA devolved into the fiasco that it has become is because we let it happen!!!!! Many of us have have treated it as if on auto-pilot over the years. Sure, we sent in money, returned the raffle entries, all that other stuff, but how many of us kept up with what was going on inside? Very few of us, indeed. So, you hate LaPierre because of his questionable actions? You, and I, and all of us allowed him to do what he did by our apathy, our inattention, and our laziness.

So, what to do? Fight, damn it!!!! That's what we do. The NRA is 'us' - that's not just a platitude, it's true! We need to clean house. We don't need a board full of do-nothings, resume builders, and silent celebrities. We need fighters, we need patriots, we need committed people. No other 2A organization has the resources and the size to instill fear in DC the way the NRA does. It's not just the left and the media that want us gone. I promise you that there are 'pseudo-conservatives' in DC that would like to see the 2A pressure on them lifted. We cannot allow that to happen, we cannot go away.

As the NRA goes, so do our 2A rights, and so do we. By the way, it's not just the 2A. There's much more at stake here.

So, walk away if so choose, but own the fact that by doing so, you become part of the problem, and you are giving aid and comfort to those who want our very way of life destroyed. By my way of thinking, if you own a gun - even if only one - you should be a member of the NRA. Five million members is a start, but it's also a joke compared to what we should have in our ranks. 80+ million Trump supporters? Then why don't we have at least 10 or 20 million NRA members? Because we're lazy, apathetic, and can't see the forest for the tress to save our own lives. It's also why the left dances circles around us over and over again!!!!

We need to wake up. It may already be too late, but at least we can face future generations and tell them that we didn't just quietly roll over and fade away. We each have a decision to make, and that decision carries dire consequences if made incorrectly.
If all who read this would get off their duff and help ONE gun rights organization ( NRA for me). And then these same people would get out and grass roots this with the passion they show here. We would not have these troubles. Quit hiding they know you have guns get out and work to keep them.
I volunteer to help pro constitution candidates and defame anti gunners everytime i drive my old pickup truck. Sign in the back anti Jason Crow lying piece of dung. And anti john the theif chickenpooper. Cant miss the signs on my truck.
Go do something.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24,621 Posts
If you own any guns at all today. You can thank the NRA for that. Walking away from them now is just what Michael Bloomberg and his ilk would just love to see. It helps when you pay attention. Just sayin.

·
Registered
196 Posts

However, to walk away from the NRA now is to seal our fate. There is no other organization out there currently - no other - that has the size, scope, and power of the NRA. Yes, the others are worth supporting as well, but the NRA must continue to exist. Let's be frank about something: the reason the NRA devolved into the fiasco that it has become is because we let it happen!!!!! Many of us have have treated it as if on auto-pilot over the years. Sure, we sent in money, returned the raffle entries, all that other stuff, but how many of us kept up with what was going on inside? Very few of us, indeed. So, you hate LaPierre because of his questionable actions? You, and I, and all of us allowed him to do what he did by our apathy, our inattention, and our laziness.

It could be that the NRA going under will be a disaster for us, or it could be that organizations that will have more to spend on court fights against 2a infringements because they don't have to use it to defend themselves in court will step up. I and a number of other 2a advocates I know worry that if NRA uses the political climate right now to scare people into keeping the checks coming, they'll come out on the other side without fixing their structural problems. I look at it as, do I want my cash to fund peoples' lifestyles, AND legal defenses, AND 2a court battles, or do I want as much of it as possible focused on the 2a court battles.

We all know what moves they need to make and they're not making them, because they haven't felt a powerful enough incentive to yet.
Associated Press Discovers The "Gun Lobby" Is More Than Just The NRA – Bearing Arms

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
It could be that the NRA going under will be a disaster for us, or it could be that organizations that will have more to spend on court fights against 2a infringements because they don't have to use it to defend themselves in court will step up. I and a number of other 2a advocates I know worry that if NRA uses the political climate right now to scare people into keeping the checks coming, they'll come out on the other side without fixing their structural problems. I look at it as, do I want my cash to fund peoples' lifestyles, AND legal defenses, AND 2a court battles, or do I want as much of it as possible focused on the 2a court battles.

We all know what moves they need to make and they're not making them, because they haven't felt a powerful enough incentive to yet.
Associated Press Discovers The "Gun Lobby" Is More Than Just The NRA – Bearing Arms
Hoping that other orgs step up in the wake of the NRA foundering is akin to hoping that 2022 and 2024 will make up for our abject failure to preserve the Republic during the last election - basically, a day late and a dollar short. Hope is just that. We can't just send the NRA money and hope for the best - that's the 'auto-pilot' attitude I referred to earlier. Historically, that 'hope' thing rarely works out well for the ones doing the 'hoping'. I takes work, hard work, and sacrifice. We have to get up, get moving, and push for change within the NRA, all the while supporting it. The NRA Board is ineffective and a failure. The NRA leadership is likewise ineffective and a failure. So, let's take it back. Do something, anything!!!

Regarding that article, I find it disappointing. It was yet another missed opportunity to help rally our troops into cleaning house at the NRA. Rather than speculating about what may or may not happen due to the NRA's demise, or not, it should have demanded that the membership rise up and take back control of the organization. Rather than saying NRA's message is 'ingrained', no matter what happens, it should have said that the message is ingrained because the organization ingrained it - and will continue to drive it in, as a bigger and stronger entity going forward.

Again, it's our choice, right? We, the members, hold in our hands the fate of the organization. If we let is wither, or die off completely, there will be no one to blame but ourselves.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back in the height of the pandemic, guys were lined up like 20 deep waiting to get in. I walked up and down the line asking "are you an NRA member" and had the membership number ready to give out to them. Mostly I was looked at like who the f#$% are you, and eventually the gun store owner told me to knock it off, that it made people feel uncomfortable. As his business starts sliding off the cliff.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Despite its problems, I still support the NRA. I feel I have no choice. Right now I believe the NRA is the only organization large and powerful enough to have any strong effect.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As a Benefactor member of the NRA, my main complaint at present is that during all the turmoil and accusations, the leaders have remained conspicuously quiet. They need to be open and honest with the members, regarding their plans and denials of accusations. It is not a time to be silent. When members have a clear understanding of the organization’s goals, and how it plans to achieve them, maybe the funds to preserve our right to keep and bear arms will resume rolling in.

The NRA needs to be preserved, and five million informed and dedicated members can do it.
However, they must be assured they will be an integral part of an all-out effort to defeat those who want to destroy not only the 2A, but also our country.

It’s up to the leaders to replace complacency with enthusiasm of its members. I know it can be done, and I pray it will.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I'll be blunt, I don't care what Wayne does with his money, where he vacations - assuming they're being effective. Were that the case they'd be worth every penny. Couple their ineffectiveness at best/feckless double-dealing at worst with their high salaries and yes, now I have a serious problem with them.

I support the GOA over the NRA.

·
Premium Member
3,046 Posts
I'm lifetime NRA, Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) and Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms (CCRKBA). The last two file a lot of lawsuits and pursue them to the end.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts