1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun ruling reversal tests domestic violence law

http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/76792412.html

A Rock County man sentenced to two years in federal prison for shooting a deer while he was on probation for domestic violence has had his case overturned by a federal appeals court.

The case could have far-ranging impact in the gun-rights debate. For Steve Skoien, it meant he'll be home for the holidays.

The 7th Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago ruled earlier this month that, in light of a major Supreme Court ruling about individual gun rights last year, prosecutors need to show that a lifetime ban on gun ownership for those convicted of domestic violence has a reasonable connection to reducing domestic gun violence. That 1996 law, the appeals court found, should not be grouped with other "presumptively legal" firearm restrictions mentioned in the 2008 Supreme Court case, known as District of Columbia vs. Heller.

The opinion by Judge Diane Sykes says that Heller's "reference to exceptions cannot be read to relieve the government of its burden of justifying laws that restrict Second Amendment rights."

And so Skoien's conviction was reversed and his case sent back to Madison so prosecutors can try to meet that burden. On Wednesday, a judge ordered his release from federal prison in North Carolina, where he had been assigned to serve his sentence.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You mean Illinois of all places might of done something right for once???

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
I think that is great news. It has always seemed excessive punishment in light of the many things that can be grouped under "domestic violence."

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
105 Posts
Not that there aren't plenty of women beaters walking around who shouldn't have their nuts chopped off, but the reality is there are a lot of fraudulent cases when a woman who wasn't a victim used this as leverage or for some undisclosed motive to hurt the male. Unfortunately it is a catch 22 because sometimes waiting for enough evidence could mean waiting too long. It has been my experience that most women who allow themselves to be beat on have a tendency to gravitate towards this type of scum and generally don't report it, or drop the charges a day after the cops show up. Again, not trying to pigeon-hole women who are true victims, but I think there are plenty of guys who have gotten the bad end of the deal on this who had rights taken for life and weren't truly a threat. I hope this didn't come across as me sympathizing with women-beaters because I don't.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have said for years that non-violent offenders should have their 2nd amend. rights restored once their sentence is complete.
Even felons.
If it was NON-VIOLENT.
It is a felony to murder and it is a felony to not pay taxes, or commit perjury for example, yet all felonies are treated the same as far as losing your 2nd. amend. rights.

Glad this is being addressed.

And no I don't have any convictions in my background.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Jerry Brown, former governor "Moonbeam" of California wrote a friend of the court brief supporting the 2nd amendment. Now this. Hmmmm, things are getting interesting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts