1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking at an AmSec gun safe...how are they in relation to their competitors in terms of quality? What other comparable safes are there out there? Thanks much.

------------------
Jeff More
Irvine, PRC
All your AR-15 are belong to us!

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've got one I'm totally satisified with..Once you get in the 60x30 size range most of the safes are very similar...BTW I've got the electronic lock and really like it...

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an AmSec safe. Excellent quality. Fit and finish is top notch. The only other safes that I looked at were Browning and I believe it was Winchester. AmSec had everything that I wanted and was a little cheaper too. CJ is correct. They are very similiar to the other brands.

Shooter Ready?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Won't recommend a brand, but will tell you to buy at least one size bigger than you think you need. I didn't.
Should never have listened to the salesman about how many long guns it would hold. Yeah, right! It might just hold the amount he said, but only if they were all lever actions with no scopes.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an AmSec safe too...and surprisingly, I like it waaaaaay better than my parents' Browning! Very nice finish, very smooth lock, nice interior, and fire resistant.

I'm in total agreement with Fred...get one size bigger than you need, at the *least*. All the guns fit fine, but extra space is now taken up by camera, pilot bag, computer data backups, girlfriend's jewelry, etc. etc.

/TCP

PS: Of course, Skunkabilly, you don't need that big ol' safe if all you're going to put in it are a buncha "cute" guns

------------------
Measure Twice....Cut Once

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by TCPilot:
I'm in total agreement with Fred...get one size bigger than you need, at the *least*. All the guns fit fine, but extra space is now taken up by camera, pilot bag, computer data backups, girlfriend's jewelry, etc. etc.
PS: Of course, Skunkabilly, you don't need that big ol' safe if all you're going to put in it are a buncha "cute" guns
Since I rather have 5 well used guns than 10 unfired ones, I will only have two cute guns...a cute Benelli (20" bbl) and even cuter M1A Scout (20" bbl). Those will hardly take up any space, but I am also buying the safe for my not so cute fullsize D-28 dreadnaught and custom Deering Calico match banjo! The safe is for the instruments as much as the guns and will be taking up most of the space. A banjo on the streets is almost as dangerous as a gun on the streets.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment (well, a studio) with one other guy and only have so much space. Space is really a consideration.

I called my leasing office and they said the floors should support the ~700 lb weight of the safe. Should I move on the safe? I really don't want a bigger safe as I"d like room to save for my clothes which may be moving out to under my desk to facilitate the guns.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Hey Skunkabilly, let me bring up one important point:

If you're going to store the D28 in there, be very careful with humidity etc. Keep in mind you'll be storing two types of items with very different demands. If you get a humidifier for the guitar (which you'd need in an enclosed safe), the gun bores will suffer. And if you get a DEhumidifier for the guns (i.e. silica), the guitar will turn to dust (same goes for pearls, for all you people storing jewelry). Honest, you can wreck a nice instrument in less time than you think.

Trust me, it could have cost me my Taylor 710 & 910 dreadnoughts...luckily a gun-totin' guitarist set me straight.

I'd get a bigger safe, then put the clothes in the safe with the guns. That way you'll always smell of eau de Breakfree and you'll still have room in your place.

I daresay a banjo in the wrong hands is far more dangerous than a gun in the wrong hands. Banjos never run outta ammo and, poorly played, inflict just as much damage.

Hey, you guys know the difference between an onion and an accordion? Nobody cries when you cut up an accordion

Cheers,

/TCP

------------------

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm disappointed that my joke pretty much killed this thread

/TCP

------------------

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks on the recommendation about the humidifier and stuff. I was thinking about getting one of those dessicant thingies.

How about if I leave the guns in the safe, just lying there, then I leave the banjo and guitar INSIDE THE CASE and put humidifiers in the case, then put them inside the safe? Do you think that would work?

By the way, did you know the tooth brush was invented by a banjo player?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Skunkabilly, if you get a safe big enough for all that, it will take up so much space in your place you'll have to move out!

Kind of like the old Steven Wright bit about getting a humidifier & dehumidifier for a gift one year...."I put them in my bedroom and let them fight it out. The humidifier won, so I filled it with floor wax and now my room's all shiny."

Seriously, you've moved beyond my technical expertise. I think the seals on my guitar case are pretty good, so that might work OK.

And I know where you're going with the banjo player/tooth brush bit. If someone other than a banjo player invented it, it woulda been called a "teeth brush."

/TCP

PS: If you have summer teeth (summer here, summer there, summer missing), I apologize for the dig.

------------------

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey TC,

I thought about the safe even more. If my Martin and my Benelli are sitting next to eachother in my closet, wouldn't that be the same situation of putting them next to eachother in the safe? Do safes have any ventilation (so children get stuck inside OOPS don't suffocate?

·
Registered
45 Posts
My brother-in-law collects all kinds of weapons and keeps them in a Fort Knox. It's a really nice safe and he swears by it. I have a smaller version and also like it. Don't forget to get a safe with proper fire protection and a dehumidifier. It is also nice to have the carpeted interior feature. DO NOT USE THAT STAY DRY STUFF TO KEEP THE MOISTURE OUT OF THE SAFE. I HEARD THAT IT WILL BACKFIRE ON YOU AND CAUSE RUST.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Banjo's and guns???

I'd sell the guns and pack the banjo...haha.

You could get a real nice concealable rig for it and practice your draws. I don't know any criminal that would stand for a quick draw bajo player!

You could even get it Parkerized...
or custom grips...
or a trigger/fret job on the action.

Ha ha just kidding.

I just bought a small Amsec (all shelves for handguns only) and think it's OK. The only problem I have is the shelf hanger rails on the inside of the safe are screwed in pretty poorly. Some of the screws pulled out and now the front rails have sagged a bit causing the shelves to lean forward. And this is a brand new safe! I think I can fix it myself with some beefier screws.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Closet vs. Safe

Heya Skunk,

First of all, Happy New Year! Hope aaalll you guys on the forum had a great holiday season.

As far as your guns/guitars in the closet vs. in the safe, the safe has far less ventilation and tends to trap moisture much more readily than a closet. The humidity in southern CA averages right around 70%, which is perfect for guitars. Trap 'em in a safe, though, and that 70% doesn't seem to stay that low. Guns rust. I don't know that a guitar would swell too badly, but I'm not taking the chance.

I'd go back to your thoughts about guitars in the safe in their cases. That might be the best idea.

Or, no dehumidifier, and religiously clean your guns once a month to avoid rust problems...

Cheers,

/TCP

·
Registered
810 Posts
mlbdg said:
My brother-in-law collects all kinds of weapons and keeps them in a Fort Knox. It's a really nice safe and he swears by it. I have a smaller version and also like it. Don't forget to get a safe with proper fire protection and a dehumidifier. It is also nice to have the carpeted interior feature. DO NOT USE THAT STAY DRY STUFF TO KEEP THE MOISTURE OUT OF THE SAFE. I HEARD THAT IT WILL BACKFIRE ON YOU AND CAUSE RUST.

Mlbdg,

I don't know where you heard this, but I'll relate my experience. Dessicant packs are all I use in my safe. I live in So. Cal. also and have never had a problem with rust. Occasionally, they need to be re charged/dried out(pop them in the oven). I check my guns once a year and wipe them down with breakfree, whether I use them, or not.

·
Registered
810 Posts
A Parkerized Banjo?

Oh good grief! I think I hurt something when I fell out of my chair!;) Thanks Patriot, I'll be chuckling about that all day.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've got a question about the dehumidifier rods. Since you have to have an electrical cord coming out of a HOLE in the back of the safe, doesn't that screw up the fire proofing aspect of a safe. Just seems a hole in the safe would let in a lot of smoke and heat.

Mark

·
Registered
45 Posts
SGT said:

SGT: I think it may depend on the type of product that you are using. The stuff to stay away from is WetDri (??) and products like it. It may work fine for basements and that kind of moisture problem but not for enclosed spaces such as a gun safe. Anyway, that is what I read. I should have been more specific but what do you want for free advice?

Mlbdg,

I don't know where you heard this, but I'll relate my experience. Dessicant packs are all I use in my safe. I live in So. Cal. also and have never had a problem with rust. Occasionally, they need to be re charged/dried out(pop them in the oven). I check my guns once a year and wipe them down with breakfree, whether I use them, or not.
:) :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts