1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking for a good range in the West Palm area that allows you to use your own ammo. My brother is getting into shooting and needs a place to practice. If there is a place where he can do rapid fire (double taps etc.) that would be great. Also he will be looking to buy a new handgun and he would like to try before he buys so ranges that have a broad selection of rental guns would be great. He will probably trade in his revolver towards a new pistol so if any one knows of good honest shops to recommend or places to avoid. We did some hunting and shooting growing up but he has not done any for a long time and is not familiar with current handguns so a knowledgeable shop would be great. Don’t need all of these things in one place…a good store to buy and some other good place to shoot is fine. Any outdoor areas or ranges where he can shoot and move, work out of a holster etc would be beneficial as well.

I know we have many members in the South Fl area so where should he go to:

Try different guns
Buy a gun (and possibly trade in a like new gp100)
To shoot his own ammo (I gave him several thousand rounds to get him started)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Well the Tactical Zone off of Investment Lane in Riviera Bch is a gun shop/indoor range. They have a small selection of range guns and have 5 lanes at just about 20 yards. You can use your own ammo and targets and just pay the range fee. Ventilation of gases and fumes is so-so. when you are the only one their, their rules can be a tad more lax for practice.

Tactical Zone 561-842-0929 3750 Investment lane. I believe this is one of the few that lets you shoot your own ammo.

Hope this gives you a hand.

BeFree;;)

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I think it really sucks that all the ranges in Palm Beach County got together and do not allow you to use your own ammo or targets. :barf: I hope that they have lost a lot of business to Broward and surrounding counties...

H

·
Registered
31 Posts
bigboyhf said:
I think it really sucks that all the ranges in Palm Beach County got together and do not allow you to use your own ammo or targets. :barf: I hope that they have lost a lot of business to Broward and surrounding counties...

H

me too. I am sorry that i ever bought anything from any of them.

Their prices suck too...

·
Registered
539 Posts
I was over in WPB about nine months ago, and the shooting sports scene there was basically nonexistent. Same went for paintball-there just wasn't anything to speak of. Although, down in downtown WPB there's a fishing and hunting store that has the most expensive and unbelievable high-end shotguns you will ever see in your lifetime. $75,000 SxS 12gauge. Unbelievable stuff. And when I visited, the guy in charge was extremely courteous and went out of his way to show my mom and I the items on display, even knowing that we weren't going to buy anything, just to be kind. Great place.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Sad

Wow, this is sad. We have quite a few indoor ranges with good facilities(good ventilation, good lighting, nice target pulley systems), BUT some lousy business attitudes. Oh, and their prices are in la la land.

Well, for the locals word gets around and we find the local IPSC and IDPA groups. For us we have to go a tad North to Martin County. Their is some shooting action to the South of us as well, like down in Lauderdale and such.

Martin county range (which is a stones throw off I-95) its the Martin Highway exit, go east to the 2nd left(sign for landfill will be the turn)and come down to the bend and make first right, can't miss us. .Hosts IDPA, IPSC and Cowboy shooting. The range is private and can be joined(Has range Nazis type rules, Really). But you do not have to be a member to shoot with any of those mentioned groups. They will just charge you 5 bucks more ..if that.

This Sunday Oct 16, IDPA has its walk-through at 9 am, I suggest getting there a bit early to get checked out if you have never shot at one of this sessions before. Nice folks and some good laughs. (well, the folks I hang with kinda laugh at our own mistakes and relax), we don't get all serious...Except with the rules.......they are there for all of us.

Yes PalmBeachCounty is poooh with shooting sports. But the shooters are a real nice group..........SO, if you are out and about .........come play with us.:rock:

AmericanMade;

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's awesome news that they're doing IDPA at Martin County. Is that new? I always thought they were just running IPSC. Do you know what the monthly schedule will be?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Ahh, I screwed the pootch........Its IPSC that is shooting this weekend.

IDPA shoots on a Saturday once a month. I don't know off-hand which Saturday.

Maybe the practical shooting website will have a schedule at http://www.uspsa.org. Or Martin County Range http://www.mcsa.cc/.

I looked at the Martin county web site, but they have not added the IDPA matches to the site yet.......I have been told its on a Saturday once a month.
I will ask around and come back with which day and what weekend.

AmericanMade;

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys Thanks for the information…as usual the members on this board are the best as is the fraternity among shooter.:rock:

I am going to pass this info along to him and point him to this site. It is great to hear that there are some low-key IDPA and IPSC shoots in the area. That could be an excellent learning environment for some just getting back into things.

Thanks again for your help and if any one else has more info thanks in advance.

Best regards

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
bigboyhf said:

H
i agree... i think i would go else where even if i had to drive a while to do it.. luck here in tampa

1 - 10 of 10 Posts