1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've done my share of gun shows this year. One word of caution to anyone looking at Colt pistols sold at such places. Take any pistol apart you are thinking of buying. I've seen many cases of pistols that are really scavenged parts with a pricey slide stamp, ones that were worn out or totally neglected on the inside. One Commander I took apart looked like new on the outside, but the inside was so cruddy and caked with oily carbon that it was plain to see that the former owner didn't ever clean it. The slide rails were devoid of any finish from the grit that was there. The frame was beat up because the recoil spring had never been changed. A little touch up blue on the outside and a coat of preservative and you have an apparent mint pistol.

Unscrupulous dealers are taking advantage of the shortage of Colts, and the prices that can be had for anything with a Colt logo on it. If you see one you like, be prepared to find a bare spot on the table to strip it down. If the dealer won't let you take it apart, then consider that a sign and move on.

·
Registered
60 Posts
+1 on that Brother - and just to add my experience with gun shows. Only, thing I have ever seen at the gun shows is all the junk the dealer can't sell at their store location. They truck it down and try and dump it on the uneducated.

The gun shows frequent all kinds - young, old, experienced gun owners, and the inexperienced and these parasites are looking for the inexperienced to dump their JUNK on - BEWARE...:rock: One more thing that applies to Gun Broker and GunsAmerica as well...

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
In my opinion, you are saying nothing new.

It has been "Buyer Beware" for EVER......for anything that is desired/collectible.

Unscrupulous dealers are taking advantage of the shortage of Colts,

Personally, I do not see a shortage of Colts. They are making some 20,000 a year.......more than enough for one to find the model they are looking for.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
Sounds like you must go to the WAC show here in Puyallup, WA. There's never a Colt to be found, unless it is an old one that has been heavily filed on or is just a Colt slide with a cheap no-name investment cast frame.

·
Registered
263 Posts
There is gold in those shows!!!
I too have whitnessed the Colts at the shows, I usually ask if they have a shop, Most do, and why is the Colt there priced like gold?
If a nice colt comes into the shop I deal with the most, and it goes in the cabinet, It is gone in a day! Mostly the guys who work in the shop get it cheap, and take it home,
A good deal for a USGI is hard to find!
PB

·
Premium Member
15,657 Posts
BUT! You could be the guy who bumps into the guy who just walked in with a gorgeous 1911 from 1917 that was his Grandfather's, and he takes $500 for it. I've bought some good guns from private sellers at gun shows. The dealers...mehhh. I look at the mailer I just got out of the mailbox and I see I can get FEG PA-63s for $99.95. I figure $15 for shipping and $27.50 for the FFL, for $142.45, so I'm looking for one at the show with the holster and both mags for $135.67 or less plus tax. I know the dealer's price would be even less if he bought ten, and he doesn't have to pay that much shipping and there's no FFL fee, so there's plenty of profit in that price. What do I find? Grade B guns with one mag and no holster for $195. It's the same on the auctions now, and as far as I'm concerned they have shot themselves in the foot. I have seen the same guns advertised on GB and AA for years, and the guy just won't come down to earth; for example, $900 for a Hungarian FEG SA85M post-ban rifle with thumbhole stock. Other guys are selling them for about half, which is a decent price. There used to be bargains on GB and may still be, but you have to watch it like a hawk for a 'Buy It Now' button at a good price on something you've been looking for. You have to catch the auction during the first five minutes before the action starts. This gives you no time for research or consideration, but sometimes you'll catch the right one at the right time. At a show, with poor lighting, guns caked in grease and a crowd of smelly punks around any pistol display, your problem may be even worse. However, late afternoon on Sunday is a real good time to walk around with something you want to sell or trade. And, at the last show, I did see a Colt WWI repro in new condition for $895 which is a decent price. Still thinking about that one, since I had a decent Luger to trade. Maybe next month!

·
Registered
263 Posts
1saxman you are right about buying guns from guys walking around, I went to a very small gun show, and as I was looking at a table, there was a guy looking to sell an early 1911 USGI, The vendor looked through his books, and his wife too, and then offered the guy 1K for the old gun, He didnt take the cash,,, I introduced myself to the guy and asked if I could see it,,, It was an early 1914 USGI, I didnt know he offered it to other vendors, and they all offered him about 1K,
I asked him if he would take 1200, thinking that if the vendors were offering him 1K it was worth a bunch more, He said yes!

Now I have it tucked away in my safe, All warm and fuzzy!
I didnt expect to find one, And I got lucky with my purchase since I dont know too much about the USGI 1911s,
Most of the series 70 and 80 Colts were in poor condition for the $,,,
Although sometimes you get lucky!
I find that a good shop who knows you will give you good deals!
Peter.

·
Registered
23,210 Posts
I go to gunshows, and there is no other place I have been where, "Let the buyer beware." is a better slogan. There are good deals, but it depends what you want. One show I went to had tons of Winchester ammo for sale at great prices. I have shot most of it up with no problem. I look at gun shows as education and entertainment.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Doesn't take long until you recognize the same "private sales" tables and the same guns at every show, plus the legal dealers adding 10% to their regular prices. The true buys are outside the front door, and also a great place to sell.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
380 tables at our last show, including my two. I saw these Colt's. Only 1 sold.

(2) Delta Elites ($800-$900)
(1) Engraved "Lady Colt" .380 Gov't (lady friend bought it for $550) see pic below.
(1) Series 80 Stainless Commander (butchered)
(2) Anacondas (higher than giraffe booty)
(1) 1960's Gov't 45 ACP w/fitted 38 Super upper and Ace 22 LR kit ($1500)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/5217/976857224/wm_296825.jpg

·
Banned
758 Posts
I never see decent used american made 1911s at "gunshows" it's allways used junk they couldn't sell at the shop and new el-cheapo mass produced imported clones at "blow out" prices, in short..........nothing I want or give a darn about.:barf::bawling:

·
Registered
764 Posts
I never see decent used american made 1911s at "gunshows" it's allways used junk they couldn't sell at the shop and new el-cheapo mass produced imported clones at "blow out" prices, in short..........nothing I want or give a darn about.:barf::bawling:
I agree with you in general, however, I have some nice guns. When I am ready to move one I do it usually at a gunshow and that is my plan as I age...to sell one now and then at the shows I attend; and I am a regular table holder at a couple of them. I also have found some nice collectibles at shows as I am sure others dispose of their collections in the same way that I plan to. That said, you are right about the show being a place to pawn off the junk..just like the internet has become. I also have seen junk priced at $2000 in gun shops. There are good guns everywhere, you just have to be in the right place at the right time, do your homework and have the money in your pocket.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well - I guess I should add and agree with the other poster that said you can find some rare items I did find this not to long ago, this is rather rare find, with the original box, original papers, and warranty - So patience is the key I guess...

S&W 640, .38spcl, 3 inch barrel, lightly used - I paid a lot less than what it was worth

1 - 16 of 16 Posts