1911Forum banner

Gun show vs Gun shop

2K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  bromeo 
#1 ·
There's a gun show coming up this weekend and I've been thinking of picking up a carry gun (Kimber CDP has caught my eye recently). I'm looking for a brand new, never been fired gun, am I gonna find any at the show, and if so is it easier/faster to just go to the store and get the gun? Will I actually save any $ at the show? I've never bought anything at a gun show, heck only been to 2, but I was looking for advice/thoughts on buying at a show vs. buying from a shop.

Thanks,
Rock

#2 ·
The best thing I've found at shows are the many choices of gun dealers. You can often find one hundred dollars difference or so in the same gun. If you are going NIB, I think it's a pretty good way to go. Also, you can handle many different models where your shop may not have a large variety.

I got a S&W Airweight for $30 less than I could find it anywhere on the net and I didn't have to pay transfer fees. 329 versus 359 was a pretty good discount IMO.

#3 ·
If you have cash, you actually have better bargaining power at the gunshow. You just have to watch out for the people who try to sell used stuff as new. I have seen dealers and private individuals doing this.:mad:
To me, new means brand new in the box. Unfired except for factory test firing. Not for example, a Glock, Sig, Beretta with only one mag and the pistol is dirty.

#5 ·
Gunshows used to be loaded with deals. This is not really the case any more. You can still stumble onto some good deals and cash defineately talks at the shows. But, quite often I can find guns cheaper at retail stores than the shows. I would research both.

ranburr

#6 ·
I agree with Brian on the one. Think of gunshows as dealers coming to you all trying to sell you something. They have a lot more competition and are really willing to deal to make that sale. I bought a pair of Kimber Eclipses last year at a big gunshow. I found the pistols I wanted and started a price war with two of the dealers that both had what I wanted. I would ask how much run to one dealer and quote him a price then run back to the other dealer quote the other guys price till it all bottomed out. Then bought from the dealer with the lowest price. Most of the dealers at the gunshow were from this region. I bought from a guy that is two hours from here and has a big gunshop. When the guy gave me his card I realized that I had visited his shop in the past when I use to live in the town he was from. I made sure to get his card in case there was any problems. In fact, one of my local dealers has started going to shows and selling his wares. He has been a lot nicer to me and is a lot more willing to come down on his prices since he has seen me walking out of more than one gunshow with a new gun in tow. His prices are always way too high and was never willing to deal in the past.

#7 ·
gunshows can be a good opportunity

I have found that I could buy cheaper at gunshows then even ordering a firearm, when you consider shipping costs and fees. A good gunshow offers many dealers, and a opportunity to inspect the firearms physically, to look for sloppy workmanship, and maybe to check out their actions.

When it comes to .45's they are hard to destroy! More are damaged by Wiley E. Coyote gunsmiths, then even break under use.

Gunshows keep gunshops from going totally beserk on their prices!

#8 ·
We get quite a few gunshows coming through here in Virginia and I go to most of them. I always come home with something but not always a gun. Bought my Kevlar vests and numerous holsters and accessories at gun shows.

I don't see the deals that you used to get years ago but still you can sometimes get a good bargin but only if you are good at haggling prices. The best thing about a gun show is huge inventory there and many of the new guns that are out will most likely make it to a show.

I know some who bring guns to a gunshow to trade but most times the dealer makes out and you could get more if you sold your gun privately.

Even though the good deals are scarce at the gun shows now I still love going to them. I think the best time to get a good bargain is right when it opens up and the last 30 mintes of the day.

:rock:

happy hunting!

#9 ·
Don't forget about Gander Mountain if you have one near you. I think they may still be running their special - sign up for a credit card and they give you $50 or $75 which the last time I used it, was good for firearm purchases. They also match prices and will double the difference up to $50 if you find it for less somewhere else. For me, I have a few local dealers that are always $50 to $100 less, so it works out real nice.

Gun shows can be okay too. Keep in mind though, that it is sometimes tough to walk into a gun show wanting to buy a specific model of firearm and walk out with it at a good price. Depending on the gun show, you may only find one dealer with it or may not even find any dealers selling the firearm you want. I usually go to gun shows and try to find the best deal on a firearm I want, but may not necessarily need. If I find the price I want, I buy. If I don't find the right price, I don't buy. If I happen to find the exact firearm I want at the price I want to pay, bonus!

#10 ·
Personally, I've never run into a great deal at a show, and I've bought guns that I know I was overpaying for (and I plan on doing it again), but I still go to the shows, because the prices I've seen haven't put me off yet. And there is also the matter of variety. Going to the shows I go to, the selection is phenomenal. I've seen things that I'd never seen in person before. Of course, they were things I could never afford, but they were there. I can always fnd something at a gun show. The only thing that sucks is that the ones I go to are on Saturdays and Sundays, and I work on Saturdays. So I can go late Saturday, for maybe an hour, or go Sunday. Either way, I miss out on alot.

#11 ·
Around here the only deals at shows are on ammo.

Gun prices are for the most part about what we have at the stores,or what you'd pay online after shipping and transfer fees.

Gun shows are good for variety. If you get the itch for something but don't know what, there's a lot to see usually.

#12 ·
I go to gun shows because of the selection also. Gun shops around me have a limited selection of guns, and most things I personally look for are special order items... I don't like buying sight unseen, so I have purchased several guns at gunshows.

The local gander mountain does have a bit of variety, but their handgun selection is hit and miss. and they don't carry and surplus firearms...

#13 ·
Around here, the prices on NIB guns is more of a tossup. Sometimes they are cheaper than the local gunshops, sometimes they are not. I can usually get pretty good prices on guns through auctionarms.com, some of the larger gun outlets out here, and even a few home-based FFL's I know. I like going to gunshows for ammo and reloading supplies. Also, you can usually find good deals on used and/or less common guns if you know what to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.