1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I've had a stack-on gunsafe for a few years, and I'm not wanting to buy a new one, but I'm having a problem with moisture. I had the safe in my basement, but I moved it up to our game room, and I was wondering if there were any other ways to remove moisture? I was thinking like gunsocks, dessicants, etc. What works for you guys?

· Premium Member
3,024 Posts
That looks good. You can also buy large cans of desiccant.

· Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I think something like dessicants is better for me. I have four guns, maybe a total of 1500$ when they were new, so I don't need anything expensive or requiring electricity. Do those things of dessicants work well?

· Registered
639 Posts
I have major humidity issues with my crappy rental house (85-90% year round). I run a Haier dehumidifier in my gun room as well as using a golden rod in my safe. I also strip my guns down once a year and put several coats of Turtle Wax Hard Shell on them, buffing off the haze coat just like on a car. It works great for keeping moisture away from metal, no rust issues since. Best of luck, humidity is the enemy of all nice things!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
1,232 Posts
I live in very dry Colorado now, but have weapons stored in New Zealand where the humidity and proximity to salt water can cause real problems. The first thing I recommend is a good coating of oil on all areas prone to rust. Thicker oil or even grease stays put longer.

Cameron

· Registered
7,529 Posts
I live up in the "fairly" wet Northwest. I use a single golden rod in my safe and it has worked wonders for me.

Same here. Over twenty years for the golden rod, zero issues. Seems like a no-brainer.
L.

· Registered
218 Posts
Yup, I like Sully's recommend. I have one in my safe. Easy to use. When the crystals change to pink color (meaning it is full of water/moisture) you just plug into a wall socket, and it heats up the crystals,and the water basically cooks out.

Remington states a 10 year life for the unit. There cheap enough as well, about 25 bucks each -you could buy a few if needed.

I still think a goldenrod is probably the best bet. I have an older Remington Express safe with Ecam lock. It as no holes to run the wiring through it - and I aint hole sawing my safe, lol. I went with the Remington dehumidifier.

Moving your safe out of the basement - is probably a big help too. I dont keep anything valuable, that I dont want to rust in my damp basement.

· Registered
243 Posts
Hey guys, I've had a stack-on gunsafe for a few years, and I'm not wanting to buy a new one, but I'm having a problem with moisture. I had the safe in my basement, but I moved it up to our game room, and I was wondering if there were any other ways to remove moisture? I was thinking like gunsocks, dessicants, etc. What works for you guys?
I used to live on a Sailboat and had my gun's with me, Besides the desiccants I always kept a 100 watt light bulb lite.

· Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Goldenrod has worked for me and those I know.

But the minute I had it figured out, I changed it :) going to be using this soon so a whole new bag of variables will come up. Just finished waterproofing/sealing the basement where it'll go...taking readings now (doesn't help that it's rained for almost 2 weeks straight) and looking into larger dehumidifiers that'll work on more sq footage.

http://www.letargets.com/estylez_item.aspx?item=TGS-2500

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.