1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to order an in the pants holster and I'm thinking I may need a "gun belt". Are these really neccesary? What purpose do they serve?

·
Premium Member
20,303 Posts
You can't imagine how much more comfortable and secure your holster will be with a properly matched belt. I like to have the same maker do both. The belt is probably one of the most overlooked items in proper carry attire.

·
Registered
69 Posts
ABSOLUTELY! Especially if you're carrying a .45! You can get away with a regular belt but it won't last nor be as comfortable.

The difference between a regular belt and a gun belt aside from the durability is comfort and stability. Whether you're using an IWB - OWB - Paddle - the Rig and Gun will be more comfortable and balanced. Quite often dress belt warp and pull making wearing a rig extremely uncomfortable especially if you're going to wear it all day.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
They are right, especially AZ Husker. Now the rub. You don't need to spend $80-150 for a 'gun belt' from one of the holster companies. They will sell you a very good, very strong belt. The price cane be more if you are buying a shark-skin belt that pushes up the price without any real functional benefits.

It is very important that the belt fit the belt loops on the pants and on the holster. They all three need to match for the gun to be the most secure. If they match, the holster should not slide about or rock back and forth so long as your belt is properly fastened (Post T-giving football watching with the belt undone does not make for a secure gun carry situation).

I have found cheaper belts that are plenty thick via gun show, western wear/saddlers, and even a couple of hardware places. The cheapest, believe it or not, has been at the gunshow for me where a vendor has belts made in Mexico for $28. They are thick, well made, and work great. The only problem is the makers seem confused on just how long a 34 or 36" belt is and there is some variation ranging from about 32-40. Maybe they are confused as to whether the measurement is the belt length or waist size, I don't know.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mister Ron E. G said:
I'm going to order an in the pants holster and I'm thinking I may need a "gun belt". Are these really neccesary? What purpose do they serve?
In addition to what the others mentioned, one of the keys to a rapid draw and presentation of your weapon is that it be in the same place and the same orientation all the time. You need a good, sturdy gun belt or your holster will move as you move.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Gunbelts Neccesary?

Absolutely.
No substitute for a proper belt, at least if you intend to suspend a real gun from it!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was told a good test as to whether a belt is stiff enough is to try and fold it in half the short way. If you can't fold it's good enough. YMMV. I absolutely love my wilderness 1.5". I would reccomend getting it an inch shorter than they do because the tail on mine wraps all the way around to the holster and interferes.

·
Banned
575 Posts
It's not so much the need for a 'gunbelt' as the need for a very thick, stiff belt of sufficient width - which is basically what a 'gunbelt' is!

I have found pretty good belts at Wal Mart for around $10 that are good for a short while but they tend to 'break-in' pretty quickly and then are no good.

I'm currently wearing a Milt Sparks gunbelt that is of superior quality than anything you could find at Wal Mart but I also paid big money for it.

Rafter seems to have a nice selection at much better prices and people have raved about them. I might try one from there if I ever wear out this Sparks belt. I'd like to try an elephant skin one. But of course I'll pay a premium for that too.

Either way, if you're carrying a heavy gun, a heavy belt is indeed a necessity. The comfort factor cannot be overstated.

Methos

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My big question is...

Do I need one for a In The Pants holster with nothing more than clips holding onto the belt? A pancake holster I could see needing a sturdy belt but a IWB holster?? I dunno...

M

·
0 Posts
Re: My big question is...

Mister Ron E. G said:
Do I need one for a In The Pants holster with nothing more than clips holding onto the belt? A pancake holster I could see needing a sturdy belt but a IWB holster?? I dunno...
Not sure what posts your reading in reply to your question Ron, but the ones I read from our members very plainly answered your question.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.