1911Forum banner

GunsAmerica

1738 9
I have seen some really nice pistols at GunAmerica, but I have never purchased a gun from this source. Has anyone bought a gun through GunsAmerica? And how do I check to see if this is a reliable source that I am buying from?
Thanks,
Joey
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
80,157 Posts
I have bought AND sold many times using Guns America. Aside from the fact that there's no bidding, it's no different than buying through the other online auctions. E-mail the seller and ask LOTS of questions prior to sending your hard-earned cash off across the country, make sure to have a reliable FFL do your transfers, and above all buyer beware. There's lots of decent folk out there trying to sell off their guns, but plenty of con artists as well.

·
Banned
917 Posts
I've bought and sold more than 20 guns through GunsAmerica and have been screwed only once. When the "like new" and "perfect" condition gun (single action Colt revolver) arrived I found it had several non-Colt replacement parts and it had been reassembled improperly. The seller, a well-known outdoors writer, refused to refund my money or make any adjustment based on the fact that I had "disassembled" it. (All I had done was remove and properly reinstall the base pin retaining screw.) It cost me several hundred dollars to purchase new-condition vintage Colt parts (back strap & ejector rod housing) to restore the gun to it's original configuration. I notified both GunsAmerica and the magazine the guy writes for. I believe he was banned from GunsAmerica. I didn't really expect the mag to do anything, but maybe if they get other complaints they will. I posted my experience with him on another forum and got replys from several others he'd screwed as well.

Other than that one bad experience, I've never had a problem with a GunsAmerica seller. I've had situations where the "good condition" gun wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, but condition ratings, except for like new, mint or perfect are subjective. What I consider "good" maybe only "fair" to you.

Ask for lots of high quality photos if condition might be an issue. I always ask specifically if there are "any signs of rust, pitting, wear, use or damage" on the gun. Those four, along with "is it perfect mechanically" pretty well cover things, providing you get honest answers, supported by photos.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I bought my Delta Elite from a seller on GunsAmerica and was very pleased. When you email the seller through the website, it will send you and email with lots of information. Read and follow it. Ask the seller lots of questions and get lots of pictures.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have purchased several off gunsamerica and the online auctions. No disappointments at all. What I do before purchasing is email and ask the seller for their phone number. Call them and have them have the gun in their hand. Then I ask any and all questions I can come up with, and then a few more. Then I attempt a modest price reduction :bawling: . A simple phone call is worth many emails. If they want to sell the gun they won't mind the phone call... .02

·
Registered
699 Posts
That is a very good idea. I sent money to a guy in Las Vegas who was running a scam . I emailed him several times and even got extra pics, but i did not call him. I eventually stopped payment on the cashier's check but it has not come back through.

·
Registered
345 Posts
It is a catch 22 situation. I had purchased a used Sig 220 SS for around $670 and it was in awesome condition (thought GunAmerica). I was lucky. :rolleyes:

One thing I don’t like online purchase “used” gun is that you don’t know what you are getting (at least not 100%). The photos help – but it can’t show all the details.

I agree that most of the used gun for sell online are from “good” guy… but you have to watch out for the “bad” guy as well… as always – if it is too good to be true, then it is not true.

Of course, IMHO. :cool:

·
Administrator
80,157 Posts
Something worth mentioning is to always send payments via insured mail. One guy who bought a pistol of mine had his money order stolen in the mail before it got to me. It is also important when selling to insure the firearm you ship as well, because it too could disappear before it gets there!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.