1911Forum banner

Gunshop Commandos...

1242 8
...when will they learn?

I go into a local store to get a price on a Para I am shopping for. He says, "Does it have to be a Para-Ordnance?" I almost said, no I want a Glock, that's why I asked you about Para's, but in the interest of getting a good price quote I bit my tongue.

I told him yes, it has to be a Para and his response was, "well, we have been warning people about them... I did an ultrasonic cleaning on a customer's Para the other day and they spray paint their guns... the finish is spray painted on." I again bit my tongue since I own two already and neither came to me spray painted. I didn't feel like arguing, so I just said thanks and took my business elsewhere. :biglaugh:
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
robertbank said:
You should have asked him what 1911 he recomended. You might have been surprised at his response.

You gotta love retail....

Stay Safe
I already know the answer. The last time I was in there the other counter-clown wouldn't shut up about Sigs. That seems to be the only gun they like to talk about. I like Sigs too, but they aren't the end-all, be-all of handguns. That guy was talking about how the NYPD is dumping all their Glocks bcz they are unreliable and picking up Sigs. He kept saying how NYPD was faking all it's reliability and maintenance records to cover up buying the Glocks. :rolleyes:

· Banned
12,385 Posts
Hello.

For years I heard the same kind of crap at one of the biggest gun shops here in town, where the sales staff is not on commission. This year I saw their help wanted ad in the newspaper: "Now Hiring: Counter salemen, $8 per hour". With no disrespect to underpaid folks (like me) it must be impossible for a shop to find experienced, knowledgable and competent sales people when the starting wage is so small. In many cases, these hapless salespersons know less about the sport than the customers know.

· Registered
4 Posts
I have a TAC-S which I have spent the last year trying to like and am just about there. I didn't like the aluminum feeling slide stop and thumb safety, which by the way, instantly lost it's finish with any contact with leather, so I replaced both with Colt pieces. I didn't like the beavertail grip safety and have special ordered a bobbed version. I also opted for slimmer grips through Vzgrips, which are quite nice. That being said, I really do like the piece. It's tight, well constructed, and I enjoy just looking at the crisp machining. Shoots better than me. On the other hand, the green finish just about comes off if you rub it too hard. I've resigned myself to not worrying about it since it's a carry piece, and if it gets too bad cosmetically, to have the whole thing refinished one of these days. I hate to even be thinking about it since I only got it last March. In summary, this is a really nice gun and a keeper, but the durability of the finish leaves much to be desired. I've already posted here that my experience with Para-ord's customer service has been outstanding.

· Premium Member
1,507 Posts
The gunstore commando is not far off. I bought a P 14 back in late '93 that came with a spray on type finish (painted) on the slide. When I had Novaks put on it and had the slide blued, it turned purple. I had to go back to a spray on finish.

· Registered
32 Posts
I believe that one of my local gun shops goes to great lengths to hire people like this. The staff of this store tries to bs customers with what they need and when I overhear them talk I think to myself "My God that guy(salesman) is an idiot. Yesterday I went into the store and the salesman was trying to sale some guy an Anschutz bolt action rifle in .17 HMR. The guy told him he wanted a Ruger, so the salesman looked at a savage first. I do not know what model it was, but the salesman couldn't figure out how to open the bolt on the savage after bragging about what a great rifle it was (He knew from personal experience). After asking around one of the owners instructed him the safety was on and that was the reason for the bolt not opening. I just laughed to myself and thought that guy probably didn't know where he crapped last.

· Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
gunfighter45 said:
The gunstore commando is not far off. I bought a P 14 back in late '93 that came with a spray on type finish (painted) on the slide. When I had Novaks put on it and had the slide blued, it turned purple. I had to go back to a spray on finish.
Interesting... my P14 is also a 93 model. I remember the finish on the slide was different (darker) than the frame, but Novak's shop didn't mention anything when I had them work on it in 2002. I didn't have them parkerize it though... it got sent to Mr Birdsong for Black T. :scratch:

JSmith, have you asked Para about the green finish coming off? Makes me wonder if they had a batch that didn't cure or something... My P12 is stainless (only way they come now), but the LDA I am shopping for will be their black finish. I'll have to pay attention and keep notes.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'm not worried enough about it to bother. I may have exaggerated a bit but it only took a few strokes through a holster to rub off on the contact areas. Even the spot where the inside plastic snap on my Galco Miami Classic touches the left side of the slide is becoming abraded. I've got a 1969 Gold Cup that's still hanging tough finish-wise after being with me for 35 years. I'll proabably get some industrial grade re-finish one of these days. I'm not going to send it back because overall I'm satisfied with the product and I generally like the looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.