1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some USGI parts today at a gunshow. Parts looked great and are no doubt made of tool steel. I found everything that I needed with the exception of a disconnector. Anyhoo, I just put my new sear in and checked the trigger pull with the slide still off (don't worry, I captivated the hammer with my thumb). My problem is... it feels like an EIGHT pound pull now!

How do I remedy this? My wife's emory board maybe? Please advise what to do. I want to get rid of all these MIM parts in my prized Colt Reproduction. Got me a checkered trigger too.

By the way... I seen a lot of .45s today. Even some old war horses, but that's beside the point I'm about to make. Guess what, NO Kimbers at the show. None. Seen Wilsons, Colts, SAs, Llamas, more Colts, and yet more Colts but NOT one single Kimber, not even a used one. I was laughed at when I offered to trade my LNIB CDP for a blued Gold Cup National Match with $859 marked on it. Nobody seemed interested in Kimbers... Strange indeed. Oh yeah, seen a pair of GCNM Colts in the original boxes. Mint. Sequentially numbered. All small parts had that old-timey Colt Bluing and was a different shade than the bluing on the slide and frame. I was in love...

Callahan

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
I bought some USGI sears recently as well, and I noticed the sear face hadn't even been cut to angle! Talk about raw parts. I can't advise on what to do with your gun other than hand it over to a gunsmith for trigger work. Otherwise, at best you'll ruin the parts you just bought. At worst you'll have an unsafe trigger.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI M1911/M1911A1 Pistols Website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 09-02-2001).]

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dsk:
Otherwise, at best you'll ruin the parts you just bought. At worst you'll have an unsafe trigger.
I'm not all that worried about ruining the sear, I have access to more than one now.
As for the unsafe trigger... I plan to torture test the crapola out of this gun with these new parts installed before any kind of defensive carry is attemted with this piece. In other words, I would catch the problem before it ever really became a problem.

Wonder what the deal with Kimber is? Maybe folks here in Ol' Virginny haven't 'discovered' them yet... Then again, maybe they have...

Another aside, I'll be damn glad when Tony sends me a decent concealment holster. I had to visit the latrine today and dismantle my current carry rig because it was printing BADLY. I stuffed my Bianchi Pistol Pocket in my left boot and jammed my Glock 23 in a modified IWB tuck on my weakside in a 'crossdraw' type configuration. Sheesh! If the VMII is everything people on this forum say it is, I'm gonna be in hog heaven.

Callahan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts