1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how many 1911's Gunsite built using Caspian frame/slide combo? I have serial #008 and have had ZERO problems with it and it sits in my duty holster everyday. I noticed that they are back to using colts. Just curious and thanks for any help.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have 009!! Bought it in Agust of 2001. Great gun. I have never had a malfunction and I only shoot reloads out of it. How did you get yours set up?

Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought mine with the bar/dot night nites, ambi safety and shark skin strippling. I love it. It has been a great gun and have shot it at Gunsite, Thunder Ranch and several other schools and have never had a problem I can not trace back to ammo or one bad mag.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a digital camera but I'll see if I can dig something up for you. I know I have pics of my gun on disk or CD I just need to find them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We are still building them. I don't have an exact count, since we often do custom serial numbers. Gunsite 24 is still in the shop, complete and for sale, that's the highest number still in stock. All the Cooper 80's were built on Caspian components as well. I've got 3 steel frame Commanders with custom numbers in process right now, along with 10 aluminum frame guns of various sizes.

We did about 40 Colt 1911's up as GSP's to try and shorten the wait and lower the price. Since they arrive as complete working guns, there's a bit less time involved fitting them up. This was to hold us over on the class packages until the Colt Gunsite Pistols arrived. Now that they are in stock, we use them for the class package and build the Caspian guns as custom systems. That way someone can sign up for the class package just days before the class. The Colt factory guns aren't perfect, but they function great and have the basic features needed to complete the classes without the gun being a hinderance to learning.

Cory Trapp
Gunsmith and Adjunct Instructor
Gunsite Academy, Inc.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cory
Thanks for the information. I thought you guys had stopped building the Caspian guns. I am glad to hear you still have them. I would love to get one built on an officers size frame one of these days. Maybe later this year. Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
13,726 Posts
grappler: Nice blaster.

Cory: Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Can you post a close up of the sharkskin stippling? I'd like to see what it looks like.
Here's Ted's Sharkskin on my Colt:

My camera doesn't take real good closeups. I think the sharksin is probably my favorite frontstrap treatment for carry. It has a very nice aggressive grip and doesn't get hung up on clothing. The white you see on the front strap isn't from bluing wear, that's actually skin (I have really dry skin) - - like I said it really GRIPS.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts