1911Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking the 250 Class at gunsite this spring and one of the "bring along" items is a pressure switch flash light. Anyone here taken the class and can give me a suggetion as to the best light to use?

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Don't have any info on flashlights, But what handgun and ammo are you using/taking. I only ask because I just recently bought a Colt Gunsite pistol and am saving my pennies for that training. Thanks Tracy :cool:

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kobra Carry and I will be buying my ammo from them... I have priced it out and unless you have a really good source for ammo it just easier to use theirs... I will be flying there so dragging 1100 round on the airlines is a hassle I DO NOT want to take on and having it shipped there (well the math just does not work). This is a $$$ school but I have been wantint to go for many years and I ani't getting any younger... Now if I could just get Az husker to caugh up some $$ to join me....

·
Registered
16 Posts
For about 30-40 dollars you can get a surefire it is a very good light also you can get a pelican light both good would recomend both, don't comprimise

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
To ease Harley's mind, I'll supply the ammo AND flashlights in exchange for the class fee. :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Congratulations on your decision to go to Gunsite. You will be amazed at how much you will learn even if you are an experienced shooter.

If the schedule is similar to the 250 class I took a couple of years ago, you will have one night shoot, and you will need a light compatible with both Rogers and Harries methods, as they will teach you both.

The logical choice is one of the Surefire combatlight models and the Z2, which is lanyard-equipped, is probably ideal for this. The Executive series lights are very nice but for the class you must have a lanyard, and lanyards are not standard with those lights. The Z2 will serve you well in more advanced classes too. The Executive lights are great for everyday carry.

Keep in mind that you will NOT want to use that light for everything on the range- it is too bright for that- so also bring a small LCD utility lamp for the purpose of target taping and general use.

If you are fortunate enough to have Ed Head teaching your class you will see a nifty item called a PAL light. If you can get your hands on one of those it will do nicely as your utility lamp.

Gunsite sells these lights and carriers at a reasonable price (not the cheapest but fair) and the batteries are sold at a very good price. As a minimum I would suggest a Surefire spares carrier stocked with batteries and an extra lamp unit.

At Gunsite you will learn that two is one and one is none .

If its a critical item then make sure you have a spare. A light is a critical item.

Save yourself some trouble- make sure the lanyard is NOT knotted, just secured with the plastic clamp it comes with, and trim it to your needs so you do not have excess string hanging off your light.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you very much for all the info... Now to do some shopping to find a good price... This little "Run to AZ" is starting to cost,,, but what the hell.... better than leaving any money for the kids - right... Harley

·
Registered
893 Posts
Feel free to PM me on good ways to save $ on the trip.

·
Administrator
10,927 Posts
You have several choices for lights. Surefire, streamlight and pelican are all adequate. The surefire Z series lights are designed to facilitate the Rogers technique, without giving up any functionality.
I find a lanyard to be useful, but if you are going to carry something without a lanyard, then you should probably train without a lanyard. Otherwise, the first time you do a gun manipulation without the lanyard that requires you to let go of the light, you'll probably drop your flashlight to the ground, since that's what you will train yourself to do with the lanyard.
Some of the bulbs in these tactical lights are fragile. Carry spares. These were expensive lessons for me.
The lithium batteries have great shelf life, but when they start to die, it isn't a gradual process. When you notice the light is yellow, instead of bright white, you'll have dead batteries within minutes. Carry spare batteries.
A spare flashlight is also good. I usually have 3 on me, on any given day.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The Surefire Nitrolon (G2-Z?) lights are excellent. Botach Tactical usually has good prices, but shop around. Buy two of 'em, since purchasing a spare lamp and batteries will get you halfway to the second light. (You'll want to have one for your car, anyway.) Buy a carrier for your light, too.

I have had no problem having stuff drop-shipped to me care of Gunsite. I would carefully shop around for S&B, PMC, MFS, Federal AE ball ammo case prices, delivered to Gunsite. You will save some money, usually enough to buy that first or second Surefire light. I would arrange for no less that 1200 rounds for the 250; 1500 rounds would be better.

Make sure that you have at least six good spare magazines. More is better, because you will be spending more time shooting than loading magazines during the day.

Since the guy that rents RVs has closed up for 2004, the best place to stay is the Little Thumb Butte B&B. It is not as close as the Gunsite Lodge, but you have a private room and a hot breakfast that is prepared for you. For slight additional charge, you can have dinner, too. The food, accomodations, and scenery are awesome.

The catered lunches through Gunsite are very good, convenient and reasonable.

Have fun!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think the G2Z is the toughest, most feature-rich "standard" sized SureFire. The only thing that comes close is the M2 and it's larger and heavier.

It is important to have a backup light. It is also important to have spare SF123A's and a spare Lamp Assembly. If you get two G2Z's, I suggest you also get an SC1 Spares Carrier, a P61 High Output Lamp Assembly and as many SF123A's as you can.

If you get two G2Z's an idea could be to get one of each colour - that way you can know which is your backup and which is your "used" one. Another option is to put a band of coloured tape round one bezel.

Al

·
Registered
152 Posts
When you get ready for the night shoot, there will be a discussion of flashlight techniques and choosing a light. I brought a Surefire with me and ended up buying one I liked better once I got there. The Pro Shop at Gunsite has a wide assortment of lights to play with before purchasing and the instructors have been happy to point out the pros and cons of different models. The Gunsite Pro Shop is probably not the cheapest place to buy one, but I don't believe they gouge, it is convenient and has the selection. Some of the items in the Pro Shop are pricey but I have respect for Gunsite management in that they don't screw you on the items you NEED for class (batteries, etc.).

Be prepared for a great time.

Good Luck,

Marvin

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Andy,,, Called little Thumb Bute today and made my reservations.... the price was great,,, I think it was $58 and that included breakfast and dinner... Harley

1 - 15 of 15 Posts