1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

Gunsite accidentally sent me a Liberty AND an Omega holster. I like the Liberty just fine. Omega just arrived.

I'm keeping the Liberty but considering the Omega as well since I have a "free trial period" before I either return or buy it on Monday.

So far they feel quite similar and great quality! The Omega hangs ~1" lower.....I see more comments about the Omega here it seems....Omega perhaps a better range holster? I don't want to use it and damage it so just trying the fit at home.

Anyone here have both? Could you explain how they differ in practical usage?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
I own neither, but the Liberty has a trailing loop that is designed to pull the grip of the gun to the body for concealment. The Omega doesn't have that, and is generally considered a range/training/competition holster, while the Liberty is a concealment holster that can be used as a range/training/competition holster.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,220 Posts
Agreed.
The Liberty is similar to any number of "Avenger" holsters, tight to the body, butt drawn-in by the trailing belt slot.
The Omega makes the gun more accessible, more clearance between gun and body.
I consider the Omega a great range holster, and the Liberty/Avenger style a great carry holster.

Attachments

·
Registered
854 Posts
Our first really good holster was a Liberty purchased from Gordon Davis way back in the early days of IPSC along with a boot stitched belt and two double mag pouches. Used it for competition and carry and still have it, along with a whole lot of other leather. It's a good solid rig. We had a new basket stamped Liberty holster and matching belt made by the new owner of Davis Leather a few years back; Equal quality to Gordon's holster. It's hard to go wrong with a classic, be it a Liberty, Avenger, DOJ, #1 or whatever the maker calls his version of this classic.

Reactions: DubfromGa

·
Registered
12,063 Posts
Our first really good holster was a Liberty purchased from Gordon Davis way back in the early days of IPSC along with a boot stitched belt and two double mag pouches. Used it for competition and carry and still have it, along with a whole lot of other leather. It's a good solid rig. We had a new basket stamped Liberty holster and matching belt made by the new owner of Davis Leather a few years back; Equal quality to Gordon's holster. It's hard to go wrong with a classic, be it a Liberty, Avenger, DOJ, #1 or whatever the maker calls his version of this classic.
When you do a search for Davis Liberty holster pictures, this article from Mr. Markwell is one of the first things that comes up.

·
Premium Member
2,696 Posts
I own several examples of both. Both holsters are concealable but the Liberty does a much better job as it rides higher and closer to the body, so it does well in a car. The Gunsite Omega rides high but farther away from the body.

·
Super Moderator
13,520 Posts
Great job Larry.

Reactions: DT Guy

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’ve got both holsters, picked up the OMEGA, when at Gunsite years ago. It’s a great range holster. I also have the version that sits higher on the belt, also for range work. I’m a fan of Avenger style holsters and have Liberty’s for my Gov’ts, Commanders and for my M&P 9 FS. I ordered double and single matching mag carriers for all.

I believe it used to be know as Cedar Ridge back in the day...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts