1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Springfield 1911 and would like to have some trigger work done as well as having some sights installed. I am also considering have some finish work done when the sites are cut.

Can any one point to an appropriate gunsmith in MN?

Am i better shippping it off to someone?

Thanks for the help.

Blombo

·
Registered
462 Posts
If you want to deal with and get work by a smith in your state, he/she is great and you're willing to physically take it to them without shipping it, I don't see any problem with that.

However, if you're having to ship it to a smith already (even in state), then the fact that the smith is out of state shouldn't discourage you (since next day UPS/Fedex rates are pretty much the same idependent of distance). By being open to shipping out of state, you've expanded your choices for many capable smiths.

There are numerous smiths that come recommended here and some are even affiliated with the American Pistolsmith Guild (APG). Personally, I would go with someone who is a recognized smith and specializes in the 1911. I am not aware of any 1911 pistolsmiths in MN...

Some names that get mentioned/recommended here (in no particular order):

Larry Vickers (L A Vickers Custom)
Ted Yost (Yost-Bonitz)
Ned Christiansen (Michiguns)
Scott Mulkerin (SDM Manufacturing)
Chuck Rogers (Rogers Precision)

just to name a few...I'm sure there are others. Some of these smiths have a website, listing prices for work. Others you'll need to call/email for pricing.

Also, I'd probably have a reliability package done to it as well (not a pricy option at all).

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
462 Posts
By the way Blombo...I did go with an out of state pistolsmith (Larry Vickers) and couldn't be happier...did outstanding work.

Definitely worth the money...:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jimbo, thanks for the reply.

There is actually a gunsmithing course in this area at a vocational school so of course there many "gunsmiths". :rolleyes:

I like the idea of being able to do it face to face, but am leanging towards shipping it somewhere.

My boss actually picked up the gun for me from a friend of his. He got it for $300 and said if i didn't buy it that he would love to keep it. His friend buys a lot of guns but doesn't shoot much & gets in trouble w/ his wife for spending the money. Anyway, i got it cheap enough so i think it's worth putting a little money into it.

I am considering carrying it, but it's pretty big. The trigger is really bad and the adjustable sites are way off so i don't really know how well it shoots. It seems to get pretty good groups when i use a support to shoot from.

I'm also not even sure what model it is. I will have to post a pic and see if anyone can tell me.

Thanks again for the help.

Blombo

·
Registered
462 Posts
Blombo,

Sorry, I wasn't clear before. I was talking pistolsmiths, not necessarily gunsmiths in general.

There is a big difference between a "gunsmith" and a "pistolsmith".

If I were in your shoes, seeing that you got it cheap, it might be worth doing some work on it to get it more "personalized". I would definitely lean towards a "pistolsmith", particularly one who is 1911 savvy. Many of these fine pistolsmiths can turn something plain-jane into a functional work of art.

By the way, unless the 1911 Springfield you have is a 6" longslide, I wouldn't discount it as a concealed carry choice. Actually, its thin profile makes for great concealed carry. Run a search...you'll find many members here use 1911s wih Inside Waistband holsters for concealed carry. And I'm talking 5" Government length 1911s...:)

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Jimbo, Actually you were very clear. I think we were both making the same distinction regarding Gunsmith & Pistolsmiths.

I appreciate the help and will do a little searching to see who to send my 1911.

Thanks again.

Blombo

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'd contact Randy Hengl at Territorial Gunsmiths in Hopkins, MN.
He did some work on my Springfield Champion and the work is excellent. Randy knows a lot about 1911s as well as a million other things. Best of all his prices are very reasonable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the advice.

I posted some pics under the Springfield section w/ some more questions. The post is titled: What Model is this???

Take a look at the post if you have a minute and let me know what you think i will need to invest to get this thing acceptable.

Bruce used the phrase "prices are very reasonable", but i really don't have a reference point to compare it to as i have never had the need for a gunsmith until now. :)

Thanks again,

Blombo

·
Registered
462 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Bruce Lee, i tried calling Territorial Gunsmiths from a number i got off a search on the net, but no one is answering the number i called. Do you happen to have the correct number handy?

Blombo

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I talked to Randy

Hey Bruce Lee, I finally got a hold of Randy at Territorial Gunsmiths. Apparently he has been out of town for a while and doesn't use an anwering machine.

Anyway, Randy was great. Seemed very honest and gave me a lot of recommendations. I definitely feel very comfortable about having him work on my gun.

Thanks again for the reference.

Blombo

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good to hear you got a hold of him. I was away for a few days myself, sorry I didn't follow up sooner. Randy really knows what he's talking about. He originally quoted the work I requested him do to be about $300. When I picked it up from him it was only about $185. That's why I said his prices were very reasonable. He's an honest guy who loves guns and isn't out just to try to make as much off a guy as he can. He gets all my business now. By the way, he also does transfers if you should ever buy a gun from out of state and need a MN based FFL to transfer it for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to note that the guys Jimbo listed are all great. In fact I plan to have Chuck Rogers build a gun for me when the money is available. Check his website - his work is most impressive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
To say he's an honest guy may be an understatement. After telling him what i wanted done he suggested that perhaps i should re-think my plan. He would be happy to do the work but cautioned that i could drop a lot of money into it and in the end all i would end up with was an expensive Milspec.

He suggested that i might want to consider selling it and using that money towards a gun w/ the features that i wanted. Hard to argue that the guy isn't trying to do right by his customers with an attitude like that. He's leaving town again to do some hunting which should give me some time to do some thinking.

Thanks again for all the info.

Blombo

·
Registered
479 Posts
Randy has forgotten more than I will know

Randy Hangel is probably the most well informed gunsmith in the Twin Cities.

DO NOT GET ON HIS BAD SIDE!!! That means you are going to f*ck something up really bad and he doesn't want to be the one you come crying to. (he tries and hides during gunshows, cause they are becoming more and more junksales)

He has forgotten more about firearms than most people ever will learn. (especially 1911s, Lugers, AR15s, and M1s)

Do not bring him a Llama.
Do not bring him a Taurus.
Do not bring him a Charles Daly.
Do not bring him a liberal or green party political rally bumper sticker.
Do not bring him decaf coffee.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with him.

-Warlock

·
Registered
62 Posts
I met Randy at Mystic Lake one day. He was trying out one of the new Kahr sub-compacts.

Anyhow back to the subject. I would recommend 2 places.

First, would be Ahlman's in Morristown. They have an excellent staff for all types of gunsmithing. I know of many IPSC/IDPA members who have had 1911's tuned there. Not to mention, their prices are competitive and they are very timely.

2nd, would be Palmer at Gun Stop in St. Bonnie. He's a master gunsmith speciallizing in Colt Revolvers and 1911s.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If you don't mind travelling too far out of state, Larry Leutenegger in Albany,WI does a great job on 1911s. He has a very good reputation in the Bullseye circle.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just Got Back

Thanks for all the responses. I just got back from GA after being there for the last two weeks so i haven't had a chance to give an update. Great weather by the way. We really enjoyed the 65+ degrees.

I actually spoke w/ Randy the day before yesterday via cell phone and my gun will be ready for pickup tomorrow. He was great to deal with and a very straight forward kind of guy. I will give some more info after i pick it up and have a chance to shoot it.

Blombo

1 - 18 of 18 Posts