1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a Government model RIA yesterday to use as a project gun this winter (gave up on turning my SA Micro Compact into a Commander). I wanted an inexpensive but decent gun that I could use as a test bed for working on a 1911. There are a few modifications I've got planned though, that I'm going to need to ship the gun out for. Notably getting the slide machined for sights.

I've used Wilson Combat before to work on a Colt that I owned. I do like their Snag Free sights, and their trigger work was excellent. I would prefer to use them, but RIA is not listed as a gun they will work on.

My question is, has anybody sent an RIA to Wilson Combat for work, or who would you recommend for working on an RIA.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I will stick my neck out and say that sights are one of the few mods. that Wilson would PROBABLY do on an RIA. Sights are a fairly easy project, so anyone mentioned on this site that gives you the turnaround you desire would be qualified. You could also go local.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
You may have a little trouble finding a 'smith to work on an RIA. Lots of us, including me, won't touch them. They're okay if you leave 'em as is, but modifying is not a lot of fun when nothing fits as it should.

Bob

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Virgil Tripp in Alpine, Texas will probably do the sight cuts for you if you haven't found anybody to do them yet. You can call him at 432.837.9445.

·
Registered
836 Posts
everything in the RIA guns are a bit soft. Customer brought one in a couple of years ago for bomars and some other custom work, also had to replace the sear, wouldn't hold the angles. Even with a dull dovetail cutter it sliced through that slide like nothing. Got everything done to it then about a month later he brought it back complaining about a "step" in the trigger pull. Upon disassembly and inspection of the hammer I found where the new sear had worn a groove in the corner of the base hammer hooks. Replaced the hammer with a C&S and if I remember also had to replace the extractor

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes, the Armscor stuff does seem to be on the soft side. The new disconnector I put in mine is wearing a little groove in the bottom of the slide.

·
Registered
73 Posts
odd that you guys should say that. I take my gun to a world renowned gunsmith does a fair amount of work for the government as well as private contracts and he says that he hand no problem whatsoever working on a rock, in fact he says that he likes em . He said that mine was one of the first that he ever had the pleasure of taking apart and inspecting (tight extractor problem fixed now) and the only thing that he said was "wow you sure do get ALOT of gun for 400 bucks with one of these rocks"

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Moot point at this time Pat. The RIA has gone the way of the dodo in my collection. Sold it to a friend and upgraded to a Springfield Armory Parkerized Mil-Spec that I'm working on now. The RIA served it's purpose though. It was my test bed for fitting triggers, extractors, thumb safeties, and other parts.

I'm much more confident in what I'm doing now and I'll post some pictures of the Mil-Spec when I get it completed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts