1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice 1980s' production blued Colt Combat Commander that I want to make a few 'enhancements' to, namely:

* New sights (tritium front, plain Bomar sight-picture FIXED rear)
* Ed Brown beavertail grip safety
* Smith & Alexander flat MSH w/lanyard ring
* SHORT solid aluminum trigger
* King's wide speed safety (NON-ambi)
* Springfield Armory 'Delta' hammer
* TruIvory aged grips

Is there a good gunsmith near Alabama for the work? TIA

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I wouldn't worry where the gunsmith was, you can ship back and forth easily. I'd research for the style and workmanship I wanted on this and other sites. Smiths have unique styles and techniques that fit individual's expectations. What works for me...a rugged, heavy-duty custom...might not be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
I'd ditto the suggestion about using one of the pros who post here. They are generous with their advice here, and using them is a great way to repay the favor. You can look at pictures of guns they've posted and also review their posts. There are smiths who post here relatively frequently that are absolutely top drawer!

Best,
Jon

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
I recommend John Harrison of Kennesaw, GA. He has done many guns for me, and I have been thrilled with each and every one of them.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! I'll be sure to post before/after pics.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, guys. Here is the 'BEFORE' pic of my ca. 1986 Combat Commander. I traded a Chi-com SKS and an S&W 909 for it. Even with the 'collet prob' and replaced sights, I think I did 'OK'.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts