1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to know what opinions are out there regarding basic gunsmithing tools. I find a lot of Chinese crap on Amazon but want a better quality set. Any advice as to what and where to buy? Thanks, Robert in TN

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Get the Brownell’s catalogue. They charge $10 or $15 for the print version. Almost anything you could want is in there. Nice stuff too. You might want to establish a budget before you buy the catalog. Otherwise you will be like the rest of us, deeply addicted to gunsmithing tools. Which never ends it seems. Midway has a lot of stuff too. My suggestion is assess your needs and buy prudently.

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
Agreed, Brownells carries the good stuff but it's all very expensive. Since I'm not a full-time gunsmith I've found the imported tools like Wheeler usually get the job done just fine.

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
The Wheeler punch set I got for 1911 detail strips works just fine. I've got a couple of small files from Ace hardware that have done a fine job (not sure where they're made).
Though I am far from being a gunsmith....and I don't play one on TV either.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
72,460 Posts
The absolute first tool you should invest in is a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Never use cheap, tapered hardware-store screwdrivers on gun screws. Brownells makes a series of screwdriver sets with replaceable bits. I have the Chinese-made Wheeler equivalent and it works, but the handle isn't centered on the shaft which I find annoying.

The second tool you need to invest in is a good 8# sledgehammer.

Just kidding.

·
Registered
792 Posts
The absolute first tool you should invest in is a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers. Never use cheap, tapered hardware-store screwdrivers on gun screws. Brownells makes a series of screwdriver sets with replaceable bits. I have the Chinese-made Wheeler equivalent and it works, but the handle isn't centered on the shaft which I find annoying.

The second tool you need to invest in is a good 8# sledgehammer.

Just kidding.
I agree: everyone knows a 3# maul is plenty!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I have a set of Grace USA gunsmith's screwdrivers. Made in USA, traditional carbon steel shanks and wood grips. Hollow-ground, with proper tips. The thickness of the tip is as important as the width of it. These are *tight* fitting proper gunsmithing 'drivers.

There are others, you can find in Amazon, just always, when you search stick at the end of your search string "Made in usa" Works in google, duckduckgo, amazon, etc.

My punch set, sadly, is China-made. I needed them right now ASAP and couldn't wait for mail order. It's by WHeeler but made in china. I'll probably sell it on ebay and get me a USA-made set.

I want everything that touches my guns to be USA-made. Cleaning tools (everything I have is pro-shot), patches, etc. Holsters, belts, ammo, everything made here. I can't stand giving China one more cent than I have to.

·
Registered
858 Posts
brownells magna tip, any grace punch or bit is also good. I know that Tekton has punches, but I am not sure if they are USA made or not.

I like the brownells specific bit sets, like a set for ruger blackhawks, colt SAS or whatever. It is a luxury to have these sets, but they are worth it when you need them.

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Brownells gets my vote and my business. Over many years, I've found their service and commitment to their customers as top tier.

Furthermore, by buying from Brownells, you are supporting a company that, in turn, firmly supports both the 2A and the NRA. Look at NRA Board Directors.

Brownells generally identifies U.S.-made products, giving their customers this information, while still offering products sourced from other countries. All leaving the customer in charge of such decisions.

Buy from your friends; support 2A rights and the NRA, and get the best service and widest offering in the process.

·
Registered
11,786 Posts
Good question from the OP, and while the Brownell's recommendation as a source for gunsmith tools, it doesn't address the made in America part.

Is there a brand line that Brownell's carries that is American made?

·
Registered
12,285 Posts
Good question from the OP, and while the Brownell's recommendation as a source for gunsmith tools, it doesn't address the made in America part.

Is there a brand line that Brownell's carries that is American made?
Brownells catalog typically identifies U.S. made products. Not sure about "always", but I look for the U.S. flag in their print catalog.

My catalog is a few years old, so I hope that nothing has changed (in this respect) in their more recent catalogs.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Brownells catalog typically identifies U.S. made products. Not sure about "always", but I look for the U.S. flag in their print catalog.

My catalog is a few years old, so I hope that nothing has changed (in this respect) in their more recent catalogs.
Magna-tip sets are USA all the way. That said, they can break and bend. Years ago, they used to replace any damaged tips for free when you were ordering other things. No more.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

Still do.... but the current issue is sold out and will not be reprinted. Not sure when catalog #73 comes out.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
A few things you may also want:
brass punch set
steel punch set
some hardwood (walnut, maple, etc) blocks for backing when punching pins.
hardwood drift
plastic headed small hammer
6" dial or digital caliper
trigger scale
jeweler's files
India stones of various shapes
hard arkansas square sharp cornered stone

1 - 20 of 60 Posts