1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have considered going to school to learn the trade, my question is, is there enough work for everyone that wants it, or do you have to bust your ass to make a name for yourself before you make any $$. I am an A.S.E. certified Master Automotive tech, motorcycle tech, and tinkerer so I know I have the apptitude for it but, I need to make money like everybody else does. I would appreciate comments from other smiths or recent graduates of gunsmithing schools.
Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,
Thanks for the input, after doing auto repair for 20+ years and being a car dealer for the last 10 I still am not driving a brand new truck! I think the best thing for me would be to learn some of the basics and then decide if it should just be a hobby instead of a career. I think I would enjoy doing it but then again I used to enjoy working on cars too. Can a mechanically able person learn enough from books and video to get started? Thanks again, Joe

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I do have my own auto repair shop and it all sounds too familiar, I guess business is business. I would be glad to be able to repair my own guns and do some side work for a little extra income. I think I will try a project gun, because that is what I had first thought about doing. Any recommended reading or video from you guys would be appreciated.
Joe

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.