1911Forum banner

Buy a Kimber 1911 for yourself - Yes or No?

• Yes - I'd happily buy a Kimber for myself

Votes: 35 39.8%
  • No - I wouldn't buy a Kimber

Votes: 53 60.2%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Mods, I realize that there's a Kimber section on the forum, but... I'd really like to know how many of our esteemed, professional gunsmiths here would purchase a Kimber 1911 for themselves.

The poll is anonymous, and I'd appreciate it if only full-time 'smiths answer the question - no non-smith fanboys or haters, please.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well, not many choices.

I can't answer either, it's the "happily" adverb. I will comment that I like the Kimber Ultras and I prefer the Swartz safety over a series 80 equipped gun. However, my 1st choice is always a Series 70 gun.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
You couldn't give me a Kimber. I hate working on them
care to share why?

I know many 'smiths don't like working on imports due to "less than exact" holes and tolerances
but what's the reason you "hate" working on Kimbers?

thanks

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
I find them quite easy to work on, except for sights that is.

I like them and would use a frame and slide for a build anytime. Actually, I did. Mine

·
Registered
319 Posts
As already stated, pin holes and tolerance stacking. I build primarily bullseye guns. The slide to frame fit is normally OK for a starting point, but the rest of the pistol is a throw away for me. Personal preferance again, but I don't like cast and or MIM parts. Anything that just is surface hardened I probably will cut through when doing mods etc. So why spend that much money on a slide and receiver? Again sights have alredy been mentioned, I don't know what Kimber uses, but they damn sure don't want them to EVER move again after leaving the factory.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
We enjoy doing the typical modifications on Kimbers. Replacing the grip safety with an EGW unit seems to cause a bit of conflict with the added safety components though. Other than that, they are just fine.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I am no Pistolwrench, but I see my fair share, they don't bother me anymore than most production line guns

·
Registered
8,321 Posts
As already stated, pin holes and tolerance stacking. I build primarily bullseye guns. The slide to frame fit is normally OK for a starting point, but the rest of the pistol is a throw away for me. Personal preferance again, but I don't like cast and or MIM parts. Anything that just is surface hardened I probably will cut through when doing mods etc. So why spend that much money on a slide and receiver? Again sights have alredy been mentioned, I don't know what Kimber uses, but they damn sure don't want them to EVER move again after leaving the factory.
Have you actually checked one against a Colt blueprint? What was off?

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
OP

I understand what you are doing here, keep in mind you are not going to get a smith to publicly diss a Kimber

Make the phone calls, look at the reputable gunsmiths website, most prefer to build off a Colt or Springfield frame/slide, there is a reason for it, which I will not go into

Also, keep in mind, many will work on them, if they dont, that is money they are turning down

My .02

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The original question

Mods, I realize that there's a Kimber section on the forum, but... I'd really like to know how many of our esteemed, professional gunsmiths here would purchase a Kimber 1911 for themselves.

The poll is anonymous, and I'd appreciate it if only full-time 'smiths answer the question - no non-smith fanboys or haters, please.
I often carry an Ultra Raptor (not sure about the happily adverb LOL) I think that for the Consumer Kimber offers a good, off the shelf, selection, especially in the Ultra sizes. I prefer builds based on Colts or SAs. My shop works on a vast variety of firearms. We aren't overjoyed by some guns, but, it all pays.

·
Registered
259 Posts
OP

...Make the phone calls, look at the reputable gunsmiths website, most prefer to build off a Colt or Springfield frame/slide, there is a reason for it, which I will not go into...

My .02
Please go into the reason...you might save a few of us from misguidingly spending some hard earned cash

1 - 20 of 26 Posts