1911Forum banner

gunsmiths here

2K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  Dave Sample 
OK OK I have to say this. I am not a gunsmith, but after a career in the military and now being in law enforcement for 8 years I have to admit there are people who call themselves gunsmiths butttt I don't know. I agree with your comments. You can not call someone and expect a "proper answer" without the person looking at the gun. For example you call an auto shop and say I need brakes, how much. The guy says $80.00. However once he gets your car the rotors and calipers are shot, you get a bill for $280.00. Your pissed. It is the same when dealing with a "quality" gunsmith. If you send him your gun for sights and he finds other major problems he should fix them.. Most would probably call you and discuss it. Anyway I think you get my drift. Ask the smith for a couple of references. If he has nothing to hide they will probably give them to you. Go to someone who you have read about in magazines or in this forum. I know American Handgunner profiles quality smiths, and finally you get what you pay for. A $20.00 action job will probably be a $20.00 action job. If your life depends on your gun as mine does a few extra dollars is cheap compared to medical bills or the price of a funeral. Sorry I got long winded

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.