1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just happened this morning.

Guy in a neighborhood close to mine, saw 2 guys infront of his neighbors house right across the street from him trying to steal a car [porsche suv] and posibly trying to get into the garage also.

Well the guy went out and confronted the bad guys with gun in hand he got shot twice right there. [one shot to chest, one to back] 3 9mm casings were found and the guys weapon wasnt there [obviously robbers stole once he was down] The info they gave is that the guy didnt even get a shot off.

Just saw the news coverage and The shell casings [presumably from the bad guys] are across the street and the dead guy is on the other side of the street. Wife saw the whole thing from upstairs window. 2, posibly 3 bad guys.

More info to come.

The guy was a good local basketball player. Big guy.

So much for 9mm not being efffective hu? [asuming the other bad guys werent using a revolver and hence no more shell casings found.

Man, bad guys shoot without remorse we CCW permit guys have to think about having a good reason, trial ect.

My take on the matter is that if I see a neighbor being robbed I stay out of it, call the police.

If I have to go out and intervene you bet il take my AR with a full 30rd clip and shoot first ask later.

On a more positive note, just last week, a couple of miles from where I live, a would be robber of a pawn shop got killed in the act by the owner with a 357 revolver. Owner freaked out and discarded the gun in a drum outside. Under Investigation dunno if the owner had a permit or not.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
condolences to the family.....things can sure go real wrong real fast.

had a situation where shots were fired into a car a half block away from us last friday night 2:30 a.m.. drug dude and ex girlfriend wars. i should have called the police then, (did so later and will do so more quickly if happens again) but it was over fast and they were all gone within minutes.

personally speaking, i would not go out with a gun to deter car thiefs, even if it was my car, but i can't speak to others on that. i would look for another way to unsettle them and get them moving out of the area. lights, noise, all from safe place, whatever.

threat to life would be a different matter and i would do what was necessary (at whatever personal cost) to protect my family, mine or anothers. did so once before and would do it again.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
magilla gorilla said:
Sorry the guy lost his life trying to do the right thing but from what you wrote his tactics, or the lack thereof, probably got him killed.
Definately.

BTW, This didnt happen on my street, but on the same town less than a mile away.

UPDATE,

5 casings found. Dead Guy had a Glock .40 [gun wasnt found, so it was stolen by the BGs], so far info is that he didnt fire it.

· Registered
735 Posts
Man that is a bad deal, but at the same time he should have known better than to go outside confronting BG's. I know he was trying to do the right thing but losing your life over a neighbors car is not smart. I hope the guy didn't have kids! the wife I am sure, is thinking what in the hell just happened! In 10 seconds both of there lives were dramatically altered forever. I feel bad for both him and his family. That is a reality check for sure!!!!!.............

· Banned
13,763 Posts
Custom-guy said:
Man that is a bad deal, but at the same time he should have known better than to go outside confronting BG's. I know he was trying to do the right thing but losing your life over a neighbors car is not smart.
Correct.

· Banned
1,870 Posts
It's always easy to second guess someone else's actions after the fact, so here's my take.

If it were me and I witnessed a crime going on right across the street from myhouse, I would have followed the principle of making a good witness, rather than getting involved. If I had a video camera, I would have got that out and started shooting VIDEO of what was going on, while I or someone else were on the phone with LE.

Turning on lights or making noise to deter the BG's efforts is about as effective as doing the same to deter varmints from messing up your garbage. They will just come back or find somewher else to continue to do their bidding.

All of my above comments assume the BG's are just interested in property. If they decided to murder the nieghbor's in cold blood, some might choose a different course of action. However, I am not LE and I am not sure I would ever risk my life and future over any neighbor's property or for someone other than a family member. Sorry in advance for those that don't agree with that.

· Registered
8,302 Posts
kevin:

i do concur with your statement about them possibly coming back or going somewhere else, but it potentially could have worked in the immediate situation (agian, no givens) and saved this guys life and the tragic results to his family while also saving the other guys car....again potentially.

more than once lights and our dog have sent people moving off who were a bit too close to our cars/house at very odd times at night.

be safe, shoot well. :rock:

· Registered
691 Posts
We should be mindful that a gun in hand does not make us invincible. I know the victim was trying to do the right thing but he should have called 911 and kept the badguys under observation. He would have made a great witness. Now, his poor wife is a widow.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
Truely sad....

...and my condolences to his family and friends.

Although the First Rule of Gunfighting is to bring a gun, the second and probably more important one is knowing what to do with it when you get there. And this doesn't mean just shooting practice but actual practice in tactics, movement, cover, shooting and thinking.

Way too much is placed upon hardware and not on softwear and programming. By that I mean that many CCW holders are too concerened about the gun, ammunition and holster that is carried than they are about learning the correct tactics to effectively use them. What good is a XYZ $2500 1911 in the top of the line sharksin holster with all the "proper" magazines and designer HPs if some punk with a stolen $300 9mm using ball ammo blows your **** away....

Please do not let this mans death be in vain....use him as a teacher. As to what he was trying to prevent, I will not fault someone for trying to do the right thing. He was however unprepared for what he met and that is the lesson we all need to learn...and correct inourselves.

Bob

· Registered
5 Posts
Good Samaritan?

Well condolences to the family, this especially hurts I'm sure, because it was totally preventable. I don't know in what state this took place, but in most, you cannot kill to protect property. So even had he prevailed, he'd been on trial. The "Love thy Neighbor" doctrine is laudable but using a firearm to take on multiple street thugs absent an immediate threat to the life of an innocent............. is simply stupid. It was STUFF and it doubtless was insured. Call 911 and get a great description, including plate #'s.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
I would have to ...

...dissagree with you ES762. There is no state that I know of that prevents one from interveaning in the theft of property be it yours or your neighbors. Should the thief turn and run the problem is solved....should he turn on you then if in fear of serious bodily injury or death then you can meet that force with deadly force...the choice was his. At that point you are protecting yourself not the property. If he bagan to drive off in the car then fine let him go..depending on the state you can not recover property with deadly force...but in some you can.

My next question to you is "where does it stop?" If we all hide behind 911 and take no other action to protect our homes and that of our neighbors theives will learn that they can steal what they want and it will be too late before the police arrive...sometimes days later. Then instead of "just" your car they will start breaking into the homes knowing that a neighbor would never help....and the police will probably be too late.

That is why I did not fault the man for what he did....as I would have probably done the same. His mistake was he was not trained to handle the situation.

Bob

· Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hope the bad guys burn in hell [or better, full of lead].

Man this stuff gets me so mad.

But at the same time one certainly learns more and more from these incidents. His death is not in vain.

You guys are right best to use ones head first gun second.

It doesnt matter what caliber gun etc. Ussually in civilian engaments whoever hits first and fast wins. End of story.

Unfortunally bad guys dont care about lawsuits, court much less your life or that of others. They are animals.

They shoot first, dont ask dont care and get out.

· Registered
3,320 Posts
kevins_garage said:
Damn superhero's. It's easy for them with all their super powers and stuff. For your sake Superman, I hope you don't happen across any bad guys with Kryptonite. :)
The Kryptonite isn't what concerns me...it's if they get close enough to hit me with it.

I was paid to do this for 25 years and had some very decent training and hands on experience. Some people think it is all just luck and that is all they rely on.....but the day the luck runs out it's your training and tactics that will keep you alive. If you carry a gun and don't go get some effective realistic training you are fooling youself. I now teach to others what I have learned the hard way. Click on the Servivor Series and Tactical Practice at www.majorwaldron.com and you will see what we do. It isn't perfect but it is a lot more than the police in this state get.

Bob

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.