Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GW Bush Dines in Baghdad

I thought it was outstanding that Pres. Bush went secretly to Iraq to have Thanksgiving with some of the troops. He really knows how to show the military what an important job they perform for all of us.

Did you all know he writes a letter to the families of every KIA? He definitely will go down as one of our greatest Presidents, IMO.:D

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Class Act!

I wonder how many "aides" he had to overrule to make that trip?

·
Premium Member
5,968 Posts
'Way to go, President George, Sir!!:rock:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I am surprised that it was kept quite and did not get leaked out.

And a hell of a moral booster if you ask me. I am sure it gave his handlers and body guards total fits. But from the cheers it sounded as if the troops were quite happy to see him.

Stacey

·
Registered
53 Posts
He's one hell of a Commander in Chief that's for damn sure, I'm looking forward to him being our POTUS for another four years (God willing).

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Im waiting for the typical jerks to come by and talk about how "hypocritical" it was for him to go visit the troops. Certain people hate him and will badmouth him no matter what he does.

Warhorse545 said:
And a hell of a moral booster if you ask me. I am sure it gave his handlers and body guards total fits.
I cant even imagine. How big of a perimeter do you figure they established on that one?

Had to be HUGE otherwise it was pretty risky on his part.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sistema1927 said:
Class Act!

I wonder how many "aides" he had to overrule to make that trip?
Apparently quite a few. Only a very few top aides at the white house even knew about the trip. A couple of reporters who traveled with him were sworn to secrecy. Also, the plan was that if while they were traveling over to Iraq the word leaked out, they were going to turn around in mid flight and go home. I assume that should that have happened, they would then have found the leaker and eliminated him...:)

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
I don't want to dissappoint you, Mus. Or break up all this wonderful genuflecting for Bush. But part of the artform this administration has mastered is the impressive public relation photo op in order to distract the public from their real activities and record. I seem to recall all the drooling going on here when Dubya pulled the dime-store Top Gun stunt when he was ready to declare hostilities over. With time he even blamed the troops on board for the sign. And obviously hostilities were not over. Now I will say that this photo op was less shallow than his others--and there are many in this administration--and it was nice support for the troops there. But what about the ones who have died? What about the ones who are still in harms way? Everything this administration touches turns to putrid sludge. This little trip, while it sends his supporters into sweating, jingoistic hyperdrive, does not detract from the basic failure of the Bush policies in Iraq and internationally in general. We won't even touch the fiascos at home. He'll take a secret trip to Iraq for Thanksgiving but while the media is buzzing, under the radar, work on depriving us of more rights through outrages like the Patriot Act or driving our country bankrupt with profligate spending and irresponsible tax-cutting. These people are the masters of the shell game. And he did this at just the right time, so all you libertarians out there would close your eyes to the gluttonous spending and selling-out to special corporate interests that they're doing. You're falling for the oldest misdirection play in the book--they just do it slicker than most.

This man will go down in history as the worst, most damaging president in modern times. It's a sad thing. All they have to do is wave a flag around, strut like John Wayne, and give lip service to the second amendment. That's all it takes to buy your genuflection.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paladin said:
This man will go down in history as the worst, most damaging president in modern times. It's a sad thing. All they have to do is wave a flag around, strut like John Wayne, and give lip service to the second amendment. That's all it takes to buy your genuflection.
Very long on rhetoric but very short on facts. Your post could have been copied from the DNC's talking points memo. If only you wern't so bitter and unhappy about life, you might allow some facts to enter your opinions. Why don't you just admit that you cannot stand the fact that our country has finally figured out after 50 years of liberals being in charge, the only people who have benefited have been the left-wing pols.

I hope you are enjoying the 8.2% growth rate in the GNP and the declining jobless rate like the rest of us.

·
Banned
1,482 Posts
This is not about liberals and conservatives. This is about Dubya Bush, the Bushies and the right-wing extremisit reactionaries who have taken over the Republican Party. We are now past the tired old liberal/conservative comparisions. These people in power now (by the slenderist of majorities) are plain "bad people". These are the wrong people in power at the wrong time, doing everything as wrong as it can be done.

"Bitter and unhappy about life"? Because I don't agree with your view of Bush and what they're doing to this country? 8.2% growth rate in the GNP? "Declining jobless rate"? You're taking a snapshot in time. And I don't see many "facts" there anyhow. Take a picture of the entire panorama of what this administration is doing to this generation and future generations. You want facts? The Bushies have cut federal revenue. Agreed? The Bushies are spending more and more on a war in Iraq, along with creating record deficit spending. Agreed? You extremely cut revenue and extremely increase spending. What do you think that means? How do they propose closing the gap that's wider now than ever in history? So where are YOUR facts that support the rhetoric that "after 50 years of liberals being in charge, the only people who have benefited have been the left-wing pols"? Funny, seems like of the past 50 years, we had Eisenhower for 8, Ronnie Raygun for 8, Poppy Bush for 4, Nixon for 6, Ford for 2 and Dubya for 3. That seems to add up to 31 years. Where's your 50 years? If you do your math correctly, you'll find that in the past 50 years, Republicans have held the White House for 31, Democrats for 19. Factual enough for you?

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paladin,

All I can say is this:

You think that cutting tax rates results in cutting revenue--not true. When President Reagan cut the marginal tax rates during the 80's, the federal government doubled their revenue.

The Republicans have recently won elections for governorships in three states. Republicans -3 Democrats -0. Oh yeah, one of the states was California where a Democrat governor was thrown out of office--coincidence?

I assume that you think fighting terrorists is a bad thing. Thank God President Bush is our president. Oh, by the way, for 50 years the Democratics controlled one or both houses of Congress. This is where the money is spent, not the White House.

If you stressed out now, way until after the 2004 election...

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Political crap aside

Our current Commander in Chief has balls! That's far more important to the troops than the GNP. Hey, the man done good!

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Look there is no need to blast Paladin for his views, that is part of what makes America a democracy, and what makes this forum an intellectual medium of sorts. If anything I like the ability for self-affirmation of beliefs that people like Paladin can inspire in those with a difference of opinion, and I definately disagree with him.

This however is a thread about the president visiting our demoralized troops in a time of need. I don't see it as a publicity stunt, and I dont see it as a photo op, I see it as a man that cares about his troops, nothing more. Even in the most infamous and famous people, acts of truth can be seen, from hitler to Socrates it is evident. I have no doubt the president went to boost morale and let his boys and girls know we appreciate and love them, and rightly so. I am sure that the president and the pentagon and whomever else visits the "Dr.Strangelove" war room are fully aware of the situation in the middle east, and the dire consequences that can unfold from this escalated conflict. But I do not see a point in taking away from the current flow of the thread to bash the president, bash the policies, or bash the current war. One can give logical propositions both for ans against the war, but I do not think they have a place in this thread.

*shrug*.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Some were blasting Bush for not taking more reporters along. Previously he was attacked for making the carrier thing a media event. People who have taken a strong dislike to Bush will scream if he chooses vanilla ice cream over chocolate. Ditto the color of the sprinkles.

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Whatever his reasons, and whatever else is going on here and in Iraq, what he did was great for the troops. That's all that counts in this case.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LenB said:
Whatever his reasons, and whatever else is going on here and in Iraq, what he did was great for the troops. That's all that counts in this case.

Exactly.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.