1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody tried-or contemplated-this conversion? I e-mailed Caspian a while back, they said they had not tried building a 10 themselves but had heard that it had been tried. And suggested that I throw the question out on a friendly forum. So I'm asking on the Caspian forum and here.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
If you already have a .40, and magazines that 10 mm will fit in, all you have to do is have a 10mm barrel fitted, and install a heavier recoil spring. Or, you could just have a gunsmith ream your .40 chamber to 10mm, and change the recoil spring.

·
Registered
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right. The thing that, in my mind, was the unknown, was magazines. Are the Caspian mags dedicated 40s with the spacer in the back or will they take factory length 10mm cartridges? There's a gunsmith in New Mexico, posts in the Caspian forum, that says he's building 9mm, 9X23, 38 Super, 357 Sig, 40, 10mm and 45-all on the Caspian frame. So I guess the mags work. I've got a PM in to him to get details on his builds.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Is the gunsmith in NM a guy named Mike Garule ?

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts

I think hes referring to me. I can say without a doubt that the .40 mags will work with 10mm. I have built two in 10mm very early on when the frames first became available. The mags are only better now.
I am going to be putting a .40 caliber Caspian HC Alloy frame prototype for testing and will be using the same mags.

Chuck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts