1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, my caveat. All my adult life I have been a conservative Republican and strong 2A advocate. And I will be so until I die.

Having said that, I am amazed at the wishful, magical thinking employed by my fellow conservatives regarding Hillary Clinton. Some examples I've seen and heard lately.

1. Conservatives who keep thinking Clinton will be carted off to jail. Perhaps she deserves it, but what total folly to pin the hopes of an election on this happening.

2. Thinking Benghazi will become an election altering issue. I have no doubt it is a legit issue, but there is no evidence this is the game changer many conservatives think it to be.

3. Thinking the emails will become an election altering issue. Again, those who already disliked Clinton are certainly bolstered by this issue. But for the majority of those going to the polls in November, this is not a game changer either.

4. Conservative denial about the LOCK the Democrats have on the Electoral College. Can Trump REALLY win Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Penn, and Colorado? Without huge, and I mean HUGE, shifts in the College, the vote is very fixed at 347 to 191.

5. Conservatives who believe if we keep behaving like middle schoolers and refer to Clinton as "Hitlery" this will somehow change the election. Nope. It makes us look silly and galvanizes support for the Democrats.

6. The belief hordes of Blacks, Latinos, and suburban and single women will stay home on election day, while throngs of disgruntled whites will rise up and go vote.

7. Etc...

If on the morning of November 9 I am wrong about this, I will be MORE than happy to by the 1911 Forum members a beer!

·
Premium Member
7,211 Posts
First, my caveat. All my adult life I have been a conservative Republican and strong 2A advocate. And I will be so until I die.

Having said that, I am amazed at the wishful, magical thinking employed by my fellow conservatives regarding Hillary Clinton. Some examples I've seen and heard lately.

1. Conservatives who keep thinking Clinton will be carted off to jail. Perhaps she deserves it, but what total folly to pin the hopes of an election on this happening.

2. Thinking Benghazi will become an election altering issue. I have no doubt it is a legit issue, but there is no evidence this is the game changer many conservatives think it to be.

3. Thinking the emails will become an election altering issue. Again, those who already disliked Clinton are certainly bolstered by this issue. But for the majority of those going to the polls in November, this is not a game changer either.

4. Conservative denial about the LOCK the Democrats have on the Electoral College. Can Trump REALLY win Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Penn, and Colorado? Without huge, and I mean HUGE, shifts in the College, the vote is very fixed at 347 to 191.

5. Conservatives who believe if we keep behaving like middle schoolers and refer to Clinton as "Hitlery" this will somehow change the election. Nope. It makes us look silly and galvanizes support for the Democrats.

6. The belief hordes of Blacks, Latinos, and suburban and single women will stay home on election day, while throngs of disgruntled whites will rise up and go vote.

7. Etc...

If on the morning of November 9 I am wrong about this, I will be MORE than happy to by the 1911 Forum members a beer!
I would not necessarily disagree with your points. I just posted a similar view in another thread.

Let's presume she's innocent of the things we all know to be true(your points 1-3)

The woman has NO PLAN....on anything!
She's now taking credit for Bills economic success from the 90s??
Her 'experience' does not translate into anything good for the country.
The results of her experience is horrible.
(Rhetorical)...Name any positive accomplishments for the country by, First Lady Hillary, senator Clinton, or 2008 candidate Clinton ? I can't think of any.
The electoral college is a problem..

There's so much imho that the GOP has to work with to send her packing.
Will it happen? It ain't gonna be easy...

·
Registered
731 Posts
I never saw the value in digging for all the reasons that I might lose before I entered any contest. This is a very important election, and I think that it might be more valuable to look for all the reasons that we might win, and spend our time and thoughts doing all that we can to make it happen such as making sure that at least five like-minded people who probably wouldn't vote for reasons such as laziness or apathy, do get off the couch and vote. If each one of us did just that little thing, then our side would win in a slam-dunk. If we keep spreading stuff like this, we are just encouraging these people to spend the day on the couch. You should stop and think. Maybe the OP is a closet Democrat and posts this crap for just that reason.

Please do no buy in to all of this negative thinking. Help your fellow Republicans make this happen. If for no other reason, do it for the free beer.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
A lot of strawmen and some false assumptions in the OP. What it boils down to is can Trump realign the parties in such a way as to turn some Blue and Purple states to Red and has the Democrat Party gone so far Left with race and identity politics that white Democrat voters have had enough? Although blacks and Hispanics vote overwhelmingly Democrat, whites are still the majority race and if they vote more as a block for the GOP like other races do for the Democrats, Trump can and will win.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I never saw the value in digging for all the reasons that I might lose before I entered any contest. This is a very important election, and I think that it might be more valuable to look for all the reasons that we might win, and spend our time and thoughts doing all that we can to make it happen such as making sure that at least five like-minded people who probably wouldn't vote for reasons such as laziness or apathy, do get off the couch and vote. If each one of us did just that little thing, then our side would win in a slam-dunk. If we keep spreading stuff like this, we are just encouraging these people to spend the day on the couch. You should stop and think. Maybe the OP is a closet Democrat and posts this crap for just that reason.

Please do no buy in to all of this negative thinking. Help your fellow Republicans make this happen. If for no other reason, do it for the free beer.
I agree. Stop whining and get something done

·
Registered
797 Posts
Some people, not all, vote with their wallet. I know the mom and dad swiping their EBT card while talking on the latest smartphone sure do. Cant lose that income, can we now! Most people don't care about the past. History often repeats itself. It isn't what have you done (emails, Benghazi, etc,) , its what are you going to do for me now that gets the vote.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
^Yep, pretty much. Whether those on welfare, those working in Unions, those with Govt. contorted job, those at factories supporting the military industrial complex, farmers, etc. are going to vote first and foremost with what will benefit them financially. Most people could care less about ethics, the environment, morals, values, international affairs -it comes down to one's livelihood i.e. pocket book.

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
^Huh, trolling? No, revcain777 is just stating some observations he has. Just cause someone does not agree with you, or painting the optimistic picture you desire and wish for - and stating some reality, does not mean they are trolling. It is called having a discussion. You be a staunch conservative, yet still see the writing on the wall. Sigh.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
^Huh, trolling? No, revcain777 is just stating some observations he has. Just cause someone does not agree with you, or painting the optimistic picture you desire and wish for - and stating some reality, does not mean they are trolling. It is called having a discussion. You be a staunch conservative, yet still see the writing on the wall. Sigh.

Who NEEDS his pessimism? What purpose does THAT serve? He'd be better off changing his handle to "RevJeremiahWright666" - it would be more accurate. And I call 'em like I see 'em.

·
Registered
874 Posts
If you want to win the election, steal a page from the Democrat playbook... Spend time registering voters; drive old and disabled and disenfranchised to vote, and chat with them about how your conservative candidate will benefit them with their concerns directly. Spend some time with recent grads making $8 an hour and $70k in college debt and convince them in non-amorphous ways that the Republican Party has their 6. This is how you grow the party, and this is where we will continue to leave money on the table and lose easy electoral contests due to simple math.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
Who NEEDS his pessimism? What purpose does THAT serve? He'd be better off changing his handle to "RevJeremiahWright666" - it would be more accurate. And I call 'em like I see 'em.
I suspected in one of his posts last week that he might be engaged in a little bit of trolling but the jury is still out for me.

·
Registered
8,372 Posts
If you want to win the election, steal a page from the Democrat playbook... Spend time registering voters; drive old and disabled and disenfranchised to vote, and chat with them about how your conservative candidate will benefit them with their concerns directly. Spend some time with recent grads making $8 an hour and $70k in college debt and convince them in non-amorphous ways that the Republican Party has their 6. This is how you grow the party, and this is where we will continue to leave money on the table and lose easy electoral contests due to simple math.
That's the tough part with activities like this. Most Republicans actually work, have families and other responsibilities making it hard to spend as much time as Democrat freeloaders doing those things.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.