1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was leaving a store and walking to my car when a stupid kid came up to me with a bb gun that looked somewhat real and he stated "give me your wallet ______" At closer look I recognized the type of gun because I used to have one myself awhile back. It was a spring loaded bb gun that looks like a 1911 style with a wider slide. I backed away from him and pulled out my Glock 29, then got behind a car right next to me and said "drop the gun, now!" His eyes got wide and then he turned and ran. He got away and now am wondering what if I would have shot him. How would you have reacted? I recognized it but I was not 100% sure it was not a .22 since I am not a gun expert. I know a lot of newer co2 guns look very real and if a more realistic one had been pulled I would have fired if possible to safly break leather. Anybody else have a similar experience?

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I know in florida, the statutes treat someone pulling/aiming a realistic bb/pellet/water gun the same as if it is an actual gun. And, while tragic, people have been shot/killed while doing so.

Now, as a civilian, you may have faced greater scrutiny than a LEO, but the outcome ought to be the same. Justifiable self defense.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Given the circumstance, I think you'd have been well within your rights to actively defend yourself. Thank the Lord that you didn't have to shoot him. Obviously you have a cool head and were well prepared for this type of situaltion. Nice job!

·
Registered
56 Posts
You handled that really well. I'll bet he won't be doing that anymore.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
dfariswheel said:
No, actually he'll probably get himself a REAL gun for next time.
Exactly my thought or he'll view it as a victory in that he knows he should have been shot and was not. Like a practice run, he does not know why you did not shoot, he just knows you did not and if he's a dirtbag he'll figure you were indecisive. You did Ok, only you can decide to eliminate a threat immediately or wait for further aggressive action from your target. Unless he's in the 1% of criminals with a conscience he'll do exactly what Dfarris stated.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm glad you did what you did. I know "kids" are doing more and more killing these days, but seems to me you kept your cool, assessed the whole situation quickly and well, including the fact that he was so young. I'm sure you've realized how awful you'd feel right now if you'd killed a kid with a BB gun.
What he does or doesn't do next time isn't your business--you don't have a duty or even a right to kill a boy because of what he might or might not do next time around.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm glad things turned out the way they did for you - and I'm also glad you did it - now maybe he'll remove the black sharpie ink from the orange muzzle :dope: , before he gets shot.

·
Registered
735 Posts
That is wild! that kid has some great big balls or he is just plain stupid! It is really to bad that he couldn't have gotten caught though, at least to start the rap sheet on him. You could have possibly reformed this kid also without even knowing it. He may have wet himself running away or he may have went back to the house and gotten the .45 who knows! good job though. He is probably very lucky he is still a kid and you took that into consideration and did the right thing. :)

What you did and how you reacted, was that from training or was it just good instincts?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Could you define "kid"? Are we talking 6-7 year old kid or 16-17 year old "kid"? It would probably make a big difference in how I would react.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Heaing "gimme your wallet" and looking around at a youn kid he spies the weapon, recognizeing it as a bb gun he says "That's not a gun" pulling his own .45 from his hip holster, he presents it foward, aiming at the head of the young BG he says "this is a gun." he them for dramatics pulls back the hammer on the big SA DA, and he watches the color drain from the young perp's face. Uppon ordering the young man "Drop your weapon NOW!" the would be thief runs for his life, thankfull to live for yet another day, sweating profusely, he will have nightmares about this day for years to come.

Just thought you might like a little dramataztion. :p

·
Registered
773 Posts
That's a wierd situation - one that has every appearance of immediate and lethal danger, but the appearance is slightly wrong (not that I'd want to be shot with a BB gun).

If I'd been in your shoes, I would have drawn. The only differece I can see is I was taught to move laterally rather than back up in a situation like this - not that you necisisarily had an option. I might have ended up shooting him unless he was real young just because I wouldn't recognize the BB gun. I think you did well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
real gun

I served on a jury a few months back in which a young man held up a drive in grocery. His defense was " hay, It was only a pellet gun." We took that into consideration when we gave him 13 years.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
13 years... outstanding!!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
Congratulations on avoiding an expensive trip to court. Your self control and perception are excellent!

What if it hadn't been a BB gun, but a Kimber in 17 HMR? Is there that much difference in appearance?

·
Registered
420 Posts
What if it really was a pellet gun and you got hit in the eye?
A threat of death or grave bodily harm is just that. Pellet guns ARE capable of grave bodily harm.

I don't think I would have been as judicious as you were. I would have aggressively defended myself since I consider the situation a real threat.
I live in a country were 10 year olds mug and KILL people using real guns, and real knives.

It's hard to judge since you didn't stablish a clear time frame (how long did you analize the looks of his "gun"? a glance? 3 or 4 seconds? how far was the car you used to take cover?). Basically, the relevant question is this: you weren't sure if his gun was real or not, in the time and steps you took to figure out, could he have shot you (if his gun was real)?

BTW, think about this... If you were a perp, and you knew people you'd mug would stop and consider the validity of your gun, wouldn't you paint the muzzle of your real gun bright orange??? That way, your victim would be pretty much dead if he decides to play "recognize if it's a pellet gun or not".

1 - 20 of 56 Posts