1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been looking for a Clack for a while now, couple years actually but I settled on a Stainless II because the price was cheap.

So a couple days ago a friend turns me on to a guy who has one that will part with it. We met late last night.

The asking price was kinda steep, $1100.00 dollars but I figured I'd go take a look and see if I could talk him down a little. The gun was described as being in excellent working condition.

Decided to meet half way which was about an hour drive one way for both of us.

OMG ***!!!

The gun looked like it had been dropped several times. It was so bad that the corner of the front edge of the magazine well was chucked right off. The cocking serrations were chunked on the right side, there was road rash on the back edge of the frame and beaver tail. Looked like someone laid down a motorcycle and the gun broke their fall. Seriously, it was what I can only describe as skid marks in the metal.

You would see where someone tried to "smooth it out with a Dremel or something.

The "Clack" Chip McCormick trigger was gone, replaced with your run of the mill 3 hole trigger.

The best parts not even here yet... ALL of this was painted over with what looked like Krylon high temp engine or grill paint. Also there were spots of paint missing all over the gun where you could see the bare sanded silver metal underneath... No, the gun was not stainless, someone has rough sanded the WHOLE GUN and spray painted it.

Jesus, I wish I had a camera with me...

The guy got kinda bitchy with me when I pointed all of this out saying that the gun worked fine, there was nothing wrong with it. He just wanted what "HE" paid back out of it and that he knew it was a RARE collectors item.

I said, yeah I bet you want your $1100 dollars back... I offered him $500.00, figuring it would take me another 6 months and $250~500.00 dollars to make it look nice.

I was laughed at.

I said look, even if this gun was in MINT shape, I wouldn't pay more then $800.00~1000.00 depending internal and slide rail wear etc. I said if you want me to buy it we gotta come up with a number that with the cost of the pistol, what it will cost me to get it fixed, my invested time etc will make it worth it to me.

He countered by saying put $800.00 in my hand now, it's yours.. I said no your not hearing me. That's what I would pay for one in decent shape. I'm not paying you $800.00 then I have to go drop a few hundred more to restore it. He said well that's my final price, take it over leave it buddy, don't waste my time. Just as fast as he said take or leave it, I said I think you should try sticking it somewhere. I turned around and got into my car before he could say anything else.

When the gun was described as "in excellent working condition" I should have asked about the finish but I would have figured someone would have told a buyer about freaking Krylon paint before letting them drive an hour.

Owell... The search continues... If I don't find one in the next few months, I'm just going to go break into FR Baseballs house and steal one of his. Looks like he has plenty to spare now. What is he upto like 4 or 6 of them now? LOL :D

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Build quality. Not that my Kimber Stainless II isn't a nice reliable gun but back in the day when Kimber was hand fitting everything they were more like buying a Wilson or Brown pistol but much cheaper.

Now days the Kimber guns are so mass produced very little hand fitting goes into them unless you buy like a $2000 dollar Custom Shop gun.

I'd have about four Kimbers in my life time and my Series I was by far the best I've personally owned to date. Should have kept that sucker, so sorry I sold it. Been trying to replace it with a Clack for a while now.

I probably would have gone $700.00 on that one yesterday if the guy wasn't a douche bag about the whole thing.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Honestly, what's the appeal of Clackamas roll-marked guns vs. Yonkers?
There is absolutely no difference other than the rollmark than early Kimbers with the Yonkers rollmark. The first 7000 or so Kimbers were rollmarked Clackamas since Kimber didn't have the manufacturing FFL for the Yonkers address yet. The guns were made in Yonkers and were made the exact same way that all Kimbers are, they were not hand fit but underwent thorough inspections since they were the first on the market.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know people who own half a dozen plus Series I's etc who would argue that point with you.

I know we couldnt swap slides between various Series I's but we could Series II's.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Kruzr

I've started a new Word document - Klassic Kruzr Komments. You are a veritable encyclopedia of information on Kimber matters - history, manufacturing processes, and more. Your gunsmithing background also means a corrective voice to much of the errornet misinformation that comes across our Forum. I always enjoy your comments. E.F. Hutton should listen TO YOU.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
.....The search continues... If I don't find one in the next few months, I'm just going to go break into FR Baseballs house and steal one of his. Looks like he has plenty to spare now. What is he up to like 4 or 6 of them now? LOL :D
Yep, that FR Baseball is turning into a real Clacky whore. Hogs them al up for himself. :biglaugh:

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Webbles, your breakin' into the wrong guys house. See the pot^ callin' the kettle black.:biglaugh:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Damn all of your Clack and Series I whores! Selling my Series I PRO CDP was the WORST mistake ever.

Great carry gun, miss it so much.

·
Registered
302 Posts
There is absolutely no difference other than the rollmark than early Kimbers with the Yonkers rollmark. The first 7000 or so Kimbers were rollmarked Clackamas since Kimber didn't have the manufacturing FFL for the Yonkers address yet.
That's what I thought... yet there still seems to be such a premium (whether we're talking dollars or bragging rights) on the Clackamas-marked guns. I read in the coprorate history (in one of the sticky's on this forum) that in the early years in the factory, frames were matched with tight-fitting slides and they "followed" each other (or something like that) throughout the manufacturing process. I didn't think much about it until recently when I field stripped a Classic Custom I bought new in '99 and noticed the serial # was etched into the bottom of the slide (I forget the exact part name, it's the part that strips off the next round out of the magazine when the gun goes back into battery). It's a great shooting gun.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
That's what I thought... yet there still seems to be such a premium (whether we're talking dollars or bragging rights) on the Clackamas-marked guns. I read in the coprorate history (in one of the sticky's on this forum) that in the early years in the factory, frames were matched with tight-fitting slides and they "followed" each other (or something like that) throughout the manufacturing process. I didn't think much about it until recently when I field stripped a Classic Custom I bought new in '99 and noticed the serial # was etched into the bottom of the slide (I forget the exact part name, it's the part that strips off the next round out of the magazine when the gun goes back into battery). It's a great shooting gun.
They match a slide and frame and they stay together through the process. Both my SII's and my Clack have the S/N hand etched on the slide. (My Baers have the s/n etched into every part in the gun.)

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Yep, that FR Baseball is turning into a real Clacky whore. Hogs them al up for himself. :biglaugh:
Hey now, I've shared the wealth with you a coue of times haven't I? :) if you ever want to sell those two clacks back to me you just let me know.

·
Banned
4,761 Posts
Hey now, I've shared the wealth with you a coue of times haven't I? :) if you ever want to sell those two clacks back to me you just let me know.
Eggnog?:confused:

·
Administrator
74,040 Posts
I had bought one of the very first Kimbers to hit the market. It was #26XX or something like that. What an idiot I was to sell that thing off. The Kimbers I bought afterwards in a vain attempt to replicate it never could hold a candle to that first one, so I can see where the early Clackamas guns are coveted by so many.

·
Premium Member
889 Posts
Owell... The search continues... If I don't find one in the next few months, I'm just going to go break into FR Baseballs house and steal one of his. Looks like he has plenty to spare now. What is he upto like 4 or 6 of them now? LOL :D
Good luck cracking the safe :)

I've only got 4 as of right now, but the number is always growing. I stupidly sold a couple Clacks in the past, that will never happen again. They went to a good owner though :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts