1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GeeZ how many 100's or thousands of rounds is it gonna took to break this beast in

This thing make anything I have evey owned look sloppy. Fit is extremely tight and the finish is excellent.

I don't know if I care for the Mag Release button...it seems small but then I have had oversized competition buttons.

Field stripping is almost a two man job with the powerful recoil spring and the funny little pin gizmo.

Sights are gonna take some getting used to also.

Oh well...Guess I will have to make some sorta excuse for range time soon

Karsten

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You won't really appreciate this gun until you get it to the range. Mine, and a friends, both shot low left out of the box. No problem bringing them dead on with the adjustable sights. The added weight really makes the gun shine with ball ammo. Trigger pulls were just a tad (and I mean a tad) heavy out of the box, but after about 300 rounds of ball, they are cleaning themselves up nicely. These things will flat shoot. Give us an update after you get to the range with it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you guys think the TRP version is worth the extra money or better off going with a mil-spec and taking it from there with your own parts? That's where I'm currently stuck.

------------------

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Col132...You told me I was gonna like this thing in another post, you were right.

I did learn one lesson last night while racking the slide just to get it to move, it is tight.

Rack the slide from the front not the rear. If you don't get your fingers out of the way of the rear sight you are gonna be losing flesh....Man that hurt and bled real good too

Birch....As for the Operator and the Mil-Spec and correct me if I am wrong, but they are 2 completely different guns.

Mil Spec has the old style LW Barrel, bushing set up. Where the Operator has a Heavy Bull Barrel and some new sorta set up.
Operator comes with Trituim night sights, rear sight is completely adjustable, 20 LPI front and back strap checkering, new light weight adjustable trigger, beveled mag well and I believe is hand made.

I don't think the Mil Spec has nice as nice a feel as the Operator.

I haven't built a race gun lately so I don't have a clue on parts prices. I don't think you could put one toghter from parts for the difference in price.

Impact had the Mil Spec for a little less than $700.00 and I paid $1200.00

Ya I know call me crazy but I paid $1350 for a Stoner just cause one one else around has one where I am

When are we gonna go up

Karsten

[This message has been edited by Karsten (edited 11-16-2001).]

·
Registered
356 Posts
MILSPEC

I brought a MILSPEC and to have it upgraded at the custom shop is $695.99 75.00 for mag well
I paid $500.00 for the MILSPEC new. Do the math
500.00 + 770.00 = 1270.00 Retail $1495.00 I am happy
My TRP is still in custom shop waiting for Deb to call with info.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Greetings,
For what its worth, the following is an e-mail and reply I sent to Ned Christiansen at Michiguns LTD. http://www.m-guns.com/ concerning modifications I wanted done to my SA TRP Operator...

"Greetings,
Would you tell me the cost and time involved in converting my new SA TRP Operator to the gun you exhibited at Pistolsmith.com as shown here http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?topic=4771&forum=4&39 As I have yet to decide on a new checkering style, a break down of the individual items/services used to create this pistol, and their associated costs, would be most helpful.

Hi,
Thanks for the inquiry. Depending on final option and finish selections, somehwere between $2,100 and $2,400. Timing would be five weeks or so but not starting for 3 months or so-- have gotten pretty busy. I would like to suggest getting a mil-spec Operator to start with since the TRP is so much more expensive as a base gun and the first thing I'm gonna do is take some of the features that made the TRP more expensive and make them dissappear!

As to itemized costs, frontstrap treatments are priced on my site, and the rest depends as I say on final selections. Checkering prices are about to go up so if we do something in a few months, don't be shy about reminding me that we first talked before they went up-- and I'll give you the old pricing.

Thanks!

Ned"

14/88

ktmhk53

·
Registered
523 Posts
I ordered my TRP Loaded Operator yesterday and will most probably leave it stock.

It includes most of the great features of the Operator series with the Loaded pistol specs. I also wanted the Novak tritium night sights instead of the Springfield tritum adjustables.

Pricing was very reasonable at less then $900 retail it is a great value IMHO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was wondering if ne of u ppl had problems with ur TRP loading ammo. mine wouldn't load nething (tried a couple different types of ammo), and now it's shooting all but the last one a put in a clip (the last one jams every time, sometimes other ones too). Does it just need some time to break in, or should I send it back to the factory (for how much u pay for them u'd think they'd at least shoot, even if they shoot a little off)¿

btw, u pay ~$1000 for one of these, and they don't have an extended slide release¿!?! (I looked it up and they cost $20. $20¿!?! For that little peice of metal! come on...)

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mr Urt said:
I was wondering if ne of u ppl had problems with ur TRP loading ammo. mine wouldn't load nething (tried a couple different types of ammo), and now it's shooting all but the last one a put in a clip (the last one jams every time, sometimes other ones too). Does it just need some time to break in, or should I send it back to the factory (for how much u pay for them u'd think they'd at least shoot, even if they shoot a little off)¿

btw, u pay ~$1000 for one of these, and they don't have an extended slide release¿!?! (I looked it up and they cost $20. $20¿!?! For that little peice of metal! come on...)
I and allot of others dont care for the extended slide releases. When I have my operator built up it wont have the extended slide release.

·
Registered
3 Posts
why not¿ u'd have to have really big hands to be able to use the slide release w/o moving ur hand around or even using the other hand. am I just missing something¿

1 - 19 of 19 Posts