1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just performed the half cock safety test as outlined here:

http://usgi1911.tripod.com/function/

I own a SA loaded that I just performed my first trigger job on using a series I jig and stoned the hammer hooks to .018 as detailed here:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/GunTech/NewsletterArchive.aspx?p=0&t=1&i=349

The problem is that the hammer drops from the half-cock position. So what did I do wrong?

Does this mean I have to buy new parts? I have a shoot on coming up, is this pistol unsafe to shoot in it's present condition?

·
Registered
91 Posts
m1a convert, for what it's worth, I have a new SA Milspec. I've put an ambi safety, an extractor, and a firing pin stop in, but I haven't done ANYTHING to the hammer, sear, disconnector, etc. Mine just failed the HALF-COCK test! Hammer doesn't seem to fall with any great pressure, but it does fall. Passed all of the other tests listed.
Hmmmm, I'm kinda' interested in the answer to your question too!

·
Premium Member
8,281 Posts
M1a,

I have an older Milspec which as the later type half cock notch. If you pull it hard enough the hammer will fall. This is because there is no capture notch there - it is a ledge. Like the Series 80's mentioned in the test.

Just for kicks you may want to remove the hammer and look at the half cock notch. If it is just a shelf, like hammer hooks on steriods, then it will fall if pulled hard enough. If it is the older capture type notch and it still falls you have a problem you need to check out.

·
Registered
688 Posts
If I remember what I have read here all Springers will fail this test because it is more of a shelf than a notch. My loaded will fall from the half cock notch and always has. What I read was it does not fall far enough from the half cock notch to fire the round.

Len

·
Registered
713 Posts
halfcock adjustment

m1a...
If you have a 70 series hammer that is dropping from half cock you will have to take some metal off the back of the sear feet
where the disconnector rests against the sear to allow the sear nose to rotate into the notch. As for slotting the front of the trigger bow to adjust the pretake that can also be done if you know how to cut the slots in the bow to bend them out for adjustment. Please have someone who has done this before help you to avoid having to start over with new parts while you are familiarizing yourself with how the assembly works, and how to properly modify it:) ...
Barry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts