1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of these games are better? I'm getting junior an Xbox360 for Christmas and he loves Halo.

Is Master Chief even in the ODST game at all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Which of these games are better? I'm getting junior an Xbox360 for Christmas and he loves Halo.

Is Master Chief even in the ODST game at all?
What to get depends on if you're gonna buy an Xbox Live Gold subscription for online multiplayer.

Halo 3 is the final part of Master Chief's story in the Halo universe. If you're son likes the story, and mostly plays the single player mode, go for Halo 3. ODST's single player took me only 4 hours to finish, Halo 3's is much longer.

The Chief is not in ODST because the game follows a squad of Marines who are fighting another part of the war. ODST has the new Firefight survival multiplayer which people say is awesome, and it has the complete Halo 3 Multiplayer on a separate disc. Halo 3 comes with only the original release maps for multiplayer, while ODST has the 3 $10 map packs plus its own exclusive maps.

So, if you're not getting a gold subscription, go for Halo 3. Solid story, longer campaign, and great multiplayer with real people. If you are getting a gold subscription, go for ODST because its the complete online and offline Halo multiplayer package for less money than Halo 3 + the separate map pack downloads.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tips, I'll need to take that into consideration.

He loves Master Chief, and I don't want him to get bored with the single play.

Do you have to buy the Gold subscription to play on line? Or is it just to create/mod your own rooms?

My wife found a HALO XBOX 360 ELITE on Craigs list, still sealed just minus the game. I can't really pull it out of it's hiding place to read if it comes with the Gold Subscription coupon, I've sen that offered in some of the non Halo bundles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I'll need to take that into consideration.

He loves Master Chief, and I don't want him to get bored with the single play.

Do you have to buy the Gold subscription to play on line? Or is it just to create/mod your own rooms?

My wife found a HALO XBOX 360 ELITE on Craigs list, still sealed just minus the game. I can't really pull it out of it's hiding place to read if it comes with the Gold Subscription coupon, I've sen that offered in some of the non Halo bundles.
Yeah, you need a gold subscription to play online. All systems have the basic silver membership which only allows you to buy and download free stuff through Live. I believe all systems also have a free one month trial for xbox live gold. It is a redeemable code card that should be bundled with the system instruction booklet. Either halo game should also bring a 48 hour trial membership. If you do buy a live membership later, I recommend buying the 12 Month Starter Set from amazon, its cheaper than everywhere else. It includes a headset, controller mini keyboard, and a racing game.

I'm confused on this Elite system you found. Is it a sealed non game bundle Elite, or does the box say game included and it doesnt have one? There's been a lot of different Elite SKUs since its release. By the way, good job on choosing an Elite, that 120GB hard drive is essential if you plan to install games on it.

Another thing, if this xbox is gonna be hooked up to an HDTV, DO NOT buy HDMI cables at best buy, their $30 HDMI cables are a rip off. Check amazon and monoprice.com. I bought a 6ft cable for $10 on amazon.

One more thing, Halo ODST does include an automatic entry for the beta preview of the new Halo Reach during the spring. But its an online multiplayer beta, so it would need a gold membership.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Cool thanks for the info.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360halo3console

Aw crap!!! it's a 20mg harddrive, not a 120mg

It's NOT the Elite console I thought it was :bawling:, but has headphones and 1 controller, a tiny hard drive and a trial membership .
Oh, well, don't worry to much about it. The 20GB drive served me well for 3 years. The game save files are pretty small. If you feel like a bigger hard drive is needed later, you can always buy an upgrade.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
You can probably find Halo 3 cheaper than ODST, which is still selling for the full $60.00. Halo 3 should be around $40-$30 at this point.

As stated, ODST doesn't have the Master Chief in it, nor does it even mention him, but it was still a really good game, just not worth the full $60.00 IMO.

I did like the final firefight at the zoo, however. And best video game commercial of all time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Dc7zGkW7g8

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have played all 4 games and I like ODST the best for one reason: Firefight.
The firefight lets me play with a friend on the same team in a more fast-paced, action-packed, bloodshed match for survival which is unlike anything else. I rarely have friends around my hometown that are good enough to play me in versus so the firefight is a great co-operative setting.

The main game of ODST is still good too, and you rarely realize you are a Marine and not Master Chief because the gameplay is the same as always. The music is good and the story is ok. I like the entire game very much.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This may or may not help, but is another idea.

There is a Xbox Elite Modern Warfare 2/Call of Duty System on the market right now. It comes bundled with MF2, an extra controller, & 250GB hard drive at a lower price point than getting them all separately. MF2 is a must-have.

Halo 3 is on the cheap too.. $34.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Went with Halo3, I'll get ODST for him... us.. later when it comes down in price, or after he gets bored of (3)

Thanks for the input guys, have a Merry Christmas :cool:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Went with Halo3, I'll get ODST for him... us.. later when it comes down in price, or after he gets bored of (3)

Thanks for the input guys, have a Merry Christmas :cool:
Good choice! I've been buying my latest games through Amazon because their prices are a little bit less than other stores, and if you pay for shipping, it sometimes still comes out less than the regular in store prices. Also, check this site for video game deals from all retailers. You're gonna need it! :biglaugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts