1911Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I acquired a Hi Power which according to the information I have about serial numbers makes it a 1981 manufacture (245PZ...).

I am considering replacing the spur hammer with one of the no bite versions from either Novak or Cylinder & Slide. Anyone have any experience with either one and how well did they work. I grip the gun very high, so the standard hammer does a number on the web of my hand.

This particular gun has a factory adjustable rear sight mounted in a dovetail, while the front sight, a ramp type, appears to be staked in place. I haven't been able to put it in the right light to actually determine if the front sight is staked or silver soldered. Can anyone confirm that the front sight is staked? If not can these sites be replaced with something like Novaks? Thanks, Joel

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. The front sight is silver soldered on the factory adj sight version of the pistol.
It can be removed and Novak sights can be used, some machine work is necessary to the slide.

I've used C&S hammers and sears with good results over the years, but when I've replaced the hammer with one, I do the sear as well. It appears that the metals used in the factory sear/hammer are not as hard as that of the C&S. I could not get a trigger pull to remain constant over about 2000 rounds when using the factory sear and C&S hammer.

If you like the trigger pull you have now, I've found that simply bobbing the hammer spur at the second lateral serration from the rear, reshaping, and refinishing works fine. It is amazing how much that reduces hammer bite...at least for me.

You can see pictures of both here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Defense.htm

The hammer bite problem is also discussed a bit.

Best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts