1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a High Power for about 30 minutes 12 years ago. I literally had to scrub the blood off the grip because of the hammer bite. This was with the factory ring hammer, so I can't even imagine the spur hammer :mad:

I REALLY want to own a FN or Browning again, can I get some personal experiences about the swap to the C&S hammer? I know I could add a beavertail but it seems a large expense if the C&S hammer really works.

Also some pics are always welcome ;)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
My experience has been "hammer bite" is caused by the shank of the hammer, not the rowel or spur. I have had success with the C&S "no bite" unit, as well as modifying the FN/Browning hammer.
Everybody's different. Your experience may be quite different from mine.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am bit more by the round hammers than the spur hammers. Myself, I view the HP as an "on the side" girlfriend to my 1911s. I'm going to get bit, but she makes it O-so worth it.:cool:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I suggest that you try one with the spur hammer first and see if any modifications to the hammer are needed. As Bryan commented, I also get bitten by the ring hammer on my Practical but my MKIII I shoot with no problem.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Pollux said:
I suggest that you try one with the spur hammer first and see if any modifications to the hammer are needed. As Bryan commented, I also get bitten by the ring hammer on my Practical but my MKIII I shoot with no problem.
I recommend that too and also have noticed that the factory Mark III rubber grips tend to help with hammer bite because they have that thinner area near the top.

Personally if that doesn't work, grinding a little bit off of the spur hammer usually eliminates hammer bite. Check out Stephen Camp's site as it has pictures of spur hammer that has been shortened.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Bryan 45 said:
I am bit more by the round hammers than the spur hammers. Myself, I view the HP as an "on the side" girlfriend to my 1911s. I'm going to get bit, but she makes it O-so worth it.:cool:
I agree. I own 4 BHPs; the ones with spur hammers don't bite me. The round hammer model bites bad.

Tex

·
Premium Member
15,673 Posts
'I know I could add a beavertail'

The only way is to have one welded or brazed to the frame, which requires refinishing. Try wearing a shooting glove. I guess I'm lucky. I don't know why, but no pistol has ever bit me. My hands are medium-sized but relatively thin.

·
Banned
1,713 Posts
Yeah, it's a cheap way to go and it works okay. For serious use though, get a steel Beavertail from C&S.

I have big hands and grip very high so Glock, Brownings, HK P7 and a few others nip at me pretty good.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Mine doesn't bite me. I've got a spur hammer. I'll take not to maybe not switch to a round one. Thank You guys!!!!!

·
Banned
389 Posts
hammer bite

The "no bite" hammer from C&S really does work. Bite isn't a problem for me but for those who suffer from it, it can be resolved.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
safarihunter said:
The "no bite" hammer from C&S really does work. Bite isn't a problem for me but for those who suffer from it, it can be resolved.
I got Don Williams to put one of these on my MKII when he worked on it. I have been well pleased with it.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No Bite

The C&S No Bite hammer cured me as well......I can finally enjoy shooting HiPowers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The ring hammers have always torn me up whereas the spur hammers just leave a red mark on the web of my hand. Then I bought an Argentine FM with a ring hammer and it doesn't hurt me at all. Go figure. Maybe the Argentines know something .....
That FM isn't as pretty as a "real" HP, but she sure shoots like one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts