1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I have a 1911 that when you ease the hammer down it catches a the half-cock position and then rides over to continue down. This only happens when you ease the hammer down.

When the weapon is fired, it operates correctly and I have no sense that the hammer is catching at teh half-cock posituon.

Your thoughts please,

Sights

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Good morning,

I have a 1911 that when you ease the hammer down it catches a the half-cock position and then rides over to continue down. This only happens when you ease the hammer down.

When the weapon is fired, it operates correctly and I have no sense that the hammer is catching at teh half-cock posituon.

Your thoughts please,

Sights
You didn't give brand. I had a dealer for STI tell me that their pistols were designed to do that. Supposedly, a safety feature.

·
Premium Member
14,635 Posts
You didn't give brand. I had a dealer for STI tell me that their pistols were designed to do that. Supposedly, a safety feature.
No, that would be a misunderstanding.
It's is a safety feature, that is what the half cock notch is there for. However if the trigger is pulled and held back and the hammer lowered by hand it should not under any circumstances catch, rub or make contact in any way. If you restrain the hammer and pull the trigger and allow it to lower some and then release the trigger then yes it will catch. It's a mechanical safety to not allow the hammer to hit the firing pin if the trigger isn't held back at the moment it passes the notch. If it hits when holding the trigger back it will damage the sear.

LOG

·
Registered
463 Posts
No, that would be a misunderstanding.
It's is a safety feature, that is what the half cock notch is there for. However if the trigger is pulled and held back and the hammer lowered by hand it should not under any circumstances catch, rub or make contact in any way. If you restrain the hammer and pull the trigger and allow it to lower some and then release the trigger then yes it will catch. It's a mechanical safety to not allow the hammer to hit the firing pin if the trigger isn't held back at the moment it passes the notch. If it hits when holding the trigger back it will damage the sear.

LOG
Yep, that is probably what it is "a misunderstanding". But I have heard some whoppers from dealers before.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts