1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In anticipation of receiving my first Hi-Power in the next couple of weeks, I went to Browning's website and downloaded the instruction manual. There are a couple of things that I found to be odd. I do own a 1911, by the way, so I'm familiar with single action operation. First, they state that a dropped hammer is the "recommended carrying position of the pistol whether there is a round in the chamber or not". They then state "Do not carry a round in the chamber".
OK, that's just a little conflicting.

They also give the process for lowering the hammer "safely". They never mention "cocked and locked" for carry. So why is this exactly the opposite of what's recommended for the 1911?

They also say to leave the slide back while the gun is being stored. Wouldn't this create undue stress on the recoil spring?

Thanks for your replies,

-Noah

·
Registered
75 Posts
It is important to note that most gun manufacturers' recommendations are designed to cover their butts, and not make good sense or be in the best interest of the gun. The MKIII's have a good firing pin safety on them. If the hammer is against the firing pin safety, round in the chamber or not, it is not going to fire even if dropped from a rooftop. However, if they recommend cocked and locked, someone might AD when holstering or drawing. Also, having the slide back keeps the gun out of battery and is another very safe condition.

I don't recommend any of these ideas because if you aren't smart enough to operate the gun without ADing or store it so your children can't get their hands on it, you shouldn't own it. Stupid people make my life too difficult already, without having to worry about one of them accidently shooting me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Mastermind has it exactly right. The BHP is best used just like the 1911, condition 1. If you have one of the BHPs with the pathetic little thumb safety, but an extended C&S safety, they're much much better.

Browning's advice comes from their legal department, I'm sure.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Along the same lines, the owner's manual that came with my current production Mark III says not to dry fire it because there may be a round in the chamber.

John

·
Registered
523 Posts
I also notice that most of the manuals were translated from another language by someone that doesn't read or speak native english, so sometimes you get conflicts just from shoddy translation. Don't know if this is the case here, but it happens all the time. My FEG Hi Power has some atrocious grammer and verbage.

"All your base are belong to us!"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts