1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I have a Mil-Spec and when the hammer is at the "half cock" it will still drop when the trigger is pulled. My 2001 Stainless Full Size didn't do it, nor did my kimber, and sure as heck, my Wilson CQB doesn't do it. From What I've read (and experienced in other modles), it shouldn't drop, but does. What gives?
By the way, I did send it back to SA for a chip in the ramp of the barrel, which they took care of, and Deb also sent me 2 of the Crown Royal bags, one for the 2000 Mil-Spec, and one for my 2001 Loaded, which didn't come with one.

· Banned
13,763 Posts
It definitely SHOULD drop. It is not a safety in the typical sense of the word. That notch is only there to stop the hammer from falling on a live round, should your sear or main hammer notches fail or break.

I find it surprising that the other pistols you've mentioned don't let the hammer fall - they should. You may not be pulling the trigger hard enough. Regardless, the half-cock notch is not designed to be used for anything, except catching the hammer as outlined above.

· Registered
330 Posts
Actually it shouldn't fall. The purpose of the catch is stop the hammer from falling on the pin if it slips while manually cocking or a accidental disengagment. My Beretta Elite 2 also doesn't let the hammer fall from the half cocked position as well as my new 1911. I don't think that a hammer strike from a half cocked position would reliably strike the primer, therefore it wasn't designed to fall from there.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
Originally posted by TimH70:
okay... maybe I should post this in the gunsmith section??
It's really no surprise! The "half cock notch" varies on different hammers. Some hammers have a captive half cock notch and others don't (I believe Colts typically don't).

If your hammer has a "shelf" type half cock notch then pulling the trigger when the hammer is at half cock will cause the hammer to fall and rest on the firing pin stop plate. If its a "captive" half cock notch then pulling the trigger again will not cause the hammer to fall.

My original Springfield hammer had the "shelf" type notch. When I replaced the hammer and sear, the replacement hammer had the "captive" notch.

Hope this answers your question.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.