1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a NIB Daly MS model and the finish of the gun is nice. The quality is nothing like either one of my Colt Series 70's, but I didn't pay 1/4 of the price for it either. I do have what I believe to be one series problem and some minor ones as well and wanted some educated opinions on these matters:

1) After releasing the slide stop the hammer will fall to half-cocked position about 50% of the time. To me this is a big issue. I'm afraid that if it will fall to half-cocked then what's from keeping it to slamming all the way down on a live round. Is this some quick and easy fix I should have my gunsmith take care of or should I sent it back? What could be causing this?

2) Compared to almost any 1911 variant I've seen, the barrel bushing is extremely lose and doesn't even fix flush against my frame, the barrel lockup is poor, and the barrel link pin literally falls out.

I didn't buy the gun with the expectation of it being a Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc, quality. I bought it really just for the lower frame for use in my CCW, but I figured I could use it to learn and pratice some 1911 gunsmithing. Boy did I get a good one to work on! I know alot of you guys have replaced some parts in yours and I'll probably do the same just to ensure better functionality and learning. This is not a high-dollar gun so I don't feel the need to buy some really high-end parts in it, but I do want some better quality. Which leads me to two more questins:

1) Anybody got experience on the 1911 parts that Sarco offers?

2) Where did you guys learn to do 1911 gunsmithing? Did you buy a book, video, or read something off a website somewhere? I need a good resource for this.

I value your opinions and suggestions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an EMS and it has dropped to half cock after pulling the trigger. It seems very sensitive to how you assemble after taking off the mainspring housing. Careful reassembly got mine working properly.

After I disassembled the CD the first time, a piece I never saw in a 1911 fell out. Since this piece was not pictured on their schematic either I called the tech help line. The "tech" was clueless until he talked with a smith. The "tech" also told me I voided the warranty by taking it apart. After I laughed at him I hung up and put the funny piece that looks like a miniature boomerang with an eyelet not quite mid lenth back in on the right side of the sear/disconnector assembly, she works fine.

But she don't like SWCs and hits low at the short ranges I have used so far. I may have to take a 16th off the front sight.

Sounds like some of the posters here have gutted the CD and replaced several pieces with name brand parts to their satisfaction. I fooled with the spring, trying to take a little weight off the trigger and it helped in my case. Good luck w/yours.

·
Registered
46 Posts
August 25, 2001

Howdy!

Saw your post on the Charles Daly forum.

I too, just purchased an EMS. Mine is stainless model CD6269.

Which EMS did you buy and if you don't mind-how much?

Homeseller

·
Registered
288 Posts
corruptone,

Blindhogg's site has a lot of pix and instructions that relate to DIY gunsmithing.
www.blindhogg.com

Here's a couple more informative sites:
PvtRyan's Site:
www.roderuscustom.tzo.com
1911.org:
www.m1911.org
Brownell's bench talk:
www.brownells.com\benchtalk\

A lot of people also swear by both of Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop manuals on the .45 and Pat Sweeney's Book. I'm still wating for my Kuhnhausen vol. 1 but in the meantime I got a lot of info from this site and the one's I mentioned above.

Hank+P,

I also noticed that boomerang shaped part you mentioned and so did Jafo, who was kind enough to inform me that it was a series 80 part in what's supposed to be a series 70 gun. Apparently for the Daly, it's only used as a spacer of some sort to keep the sear in place. I saw the same part in my Brownells catalog 53 advertised with some series 80 internal parts.

cheers,

malmon

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Sarco parts are generally USGI type, but some of them may also be cast. It's sort of a crap shot with them, but cheap enough to give it a shot.

I built up a full length .45 out of one of their $50 Brazilian slides and it's worked quite well and was a fun project. I now know how to stake front sights.

My experience has been from trial and error and a total lack of self control at attempting anything 1911 related. My last project consisted of shortening the dust cover and lengthing the slide rails on a commander slide to get it to fit a full length frame and still operate correctly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts